Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 11 2013, 5:37am

Post #1 of 19 (229 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge! Can't Post

Welcome to the Walk to Rivendell and Beyond! Our There and Back Again challenge (see links below) is moving along, and our TORn walkers, runners, bikers, dancers and so on are making it happen. So here's an invitation to those of you who've made exercise-related resolutions: join us on the Walk! Choose your favorite route through Middle Earth and your exercise, join in on the challenge, use the links below to convert your activity each week to miles, and watch how far you travel!

There and Back Again
Group Challenge Progress

Cumulative miles: 10646.34
Miles along the journey: 709.76
Miles out of Rivendell: 312.76

We're on the forest trail in Mirkwood. Keeping very much on the trail. No deviations to the right or left. Not even a toe off the trail, nosirree, not nohow!

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 0
Cumulative miles: 437
Goal: There and Back Again!

I got in some good mileage before Christmas, but over the holidays, I succumbed to the busyness of the season. sigh. Which means I missed a couple of folks who dropped in. So I'll take the time now to say, “Hi, silneldor and JRandomRohirrim! Sorry I missed you and stop by again soon!”

Beamer's progress:
Miles covered this week: 5
Cumulative miles: 421
Goal: Group Challenge

Beamer's back in dance classes after her Winter break, and with the change in semesters, she's now in PE (physical education), so she'll be getting some more activity each week - yay!

Arandiel

The Scoop on the Walk
The TORn Walk to Rivendell thread meets right here on Main, on Thursdays.
Learn about TORn's There and Back Again Challenge

The Eowyn Challenge/Walk to Rivendell (and beyond) is a Middle-Earth-related fitness group that began in March 2003, and has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. TORn's Walk is open to all people and healthy types of activity. Please visit the Eowyn Challenge site, especially the main page and the Walk page, for more information. Useful links, including mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, are on the Tools page.
grammaboodawg's awesome site for Bilbo's return mileages from the Lonely Mountain to Bag End, some helpful activity conversion charts, and the Walk to Rivendell's TORn-up Postcards
Notta's Super-Duper Walking-Equivalents Chart
Eowyn Challenge Login Page to register miles

If you use the Eowyn Challenge site to track your progress, please update your mileage via the login page, and be sure to keep a backup record, in case Warg attack, Wizard-induced blizzard, or other fell calamity causes the Shields page to crash.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - getting thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain by December 2012; and the same Hobbit and Wizard back to Bag End by December 2013

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 11 2013, 10:27am

Post #2 of 19 (131 views)
Shortcut
Howdy Arandiel, Beamer and All!! Happy New Year! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, yes... those New Year resolutions are the BANE of my existence! BUT "this year will be different!". Now that I'm losing about a pound every 3 weeks *grumble, snort* my goal is to lose... wait for it... five pounds by December! There! I've said it out loud, so now I have to commit to that! Oh man... it's going to be grueling!

I'm glad you had fun over the holidays, Arandiel :) It really throws off our routines and gets us frazzled, but there are always good memories that come from them.

Well, Gandalf, Bilbo and I are nearly through the Misty Mountain passage on our way from Beorn's to Rivendell. The Wizard keeps promising it's not far now... so I'll just keep following the tail of his grey cloak since there's not much more to see in the dark.

Thanks so much for keeping us on the road, Arandiel. And all props to Beamer for her great focus and participation! She's a better Walker than I was at her age ;)

Miles covered: 22
Cumulated miles: 16135
Goal: #2 Unexpected Journey Individual Challenge and contributing to the Group :)

See everyone on the Road! Stay Safe!

gramma's The Hobbit: Unexpected Journey Line Party Report & Review
and first draught of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 11 2013, 4:31pm

Post #3 of 19 (129 views)
Shortcut
You can do it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Naming your resolution out loud - now that's making a commitment! But you'll get there, gramma! (I'm even willing to guess that you'll make it before DecemberWink)

Here's wishing you a wonderful, successful year ahead!

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - getting thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain by December 2012; and the same Hobbit and Wizard back to Bag End by December 2013

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jan 11 2013, 7:32pm

Post #4 of 19 (132 views)
Shortcut
This might be a little different [In reply to] Can't Post

But I started this exercise program called "Couch to 5k." It's supposed to take the average couch potato and have him or her running a 5k within eight weeks. So after I do my running today I'll be done with week four. It's pretty grueling, but definitely seems to be working really well. I'm able to run much more than I was on day one. Smile

I've no idea how many miles I've done, though. But I'll keep you all posted on my progress!

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 11 2013, 8:08pm

Post #5 of 19 (114 views)
Shortcut
An ambitious project - [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad to hear it's going well, Ardamire! And whether there's mileage to report or not, it's fun to find out how folks are doing, exercise-wise.

Keep us posted, and welcome to the Walk!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jan 11 2013, 10:04pm

Post #6 of 19 (119 views)
Shortcut
Finished week four just minutes ago! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the welcome, Arandiel!

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

ShyElf
Lorien

Jan 12 2013, 6:20am

Post #7 of 19 (146 views)
Shortcut
Hi! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been away for a while - but I'm very happy to announce that after over a year of pain (got very acute during Nov/Dec) last week I finally got a diagnosis of Polymyalgia Rheumatica (never heard of it before and it took me days to master the pronunciation!) Anyway - I am responding very well to the therapy (prednisone) and haven't felt this good in a long time. I'm not looking forward to the side effects of the meds, but hopefully they won't be too bad. My doc says I have to wait about 8 weeks before I can start an exercise regime (I've also got bursitis in both hip and in one knee and tendonitis in both butt cheeks - yikes!) - but once this heals a bit, I hope to be back at it! Then - I'll be adding some mileage to this quest!!! Finally!!
Right now I'm just so happy to be feeling better.

Miles covered since my last post: 0 ... <oh well...>
Cumulative Miles: 57 (ShyElf The Younger thinks this merits a "participation ribbon" Tongue)
Goal: There and back again!

One thing I have learned - growing older is definitely NOT for sissies!

Cheers!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 12 2013, 8:45pm

Post #8 of 19 (112 views)
Shortcut
PolymaWhosie-Whatsis? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yow, that's a mouthful! But, oh, what a relief to finally have an answer - and a course of treatment that's helping! I hope you're able to duck the nasty end of the side effects. No side effects would be even better!

I think we can do a bit more than a participation ribbon... *rummages in virtual prize box*
I hereby present you with this WtR Special Award for Perseverance Under Extreme Conditions
*hands ShyElf virtual statuette of "The Reunion of Samwise and Bill"*

It's wonderful to hear you're back on the road to getting on the Road again, ShyElf!

sherlock
Gondor

Jan 13 2013, 12:34pm

Post #9 of 19 (117 views)
Shortcut
My dog's been sick so [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been using that as an excuse to be lazy. She's better now & the vet gave her the ok to walk again so we did one block this morning. Gotta start out easy, you know. Also's I'm contemplating going back to Jazzercise which I haven't done in months. They moved further away & dropped my favorite class format so I'm not as motivated to go.

Joe-Mathews
Rivendell

Jan 13 2013, 8:24pm

Post #10 of 19 (99 views)
Shortcut
Week 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

Miles This Week: 2.67
Cumulative Miles: 89.37
Goal: Personal Erebor Quest - contributing miles to group
Goal mileage: 9.17 (957.83 to go)

Don't say it. I'm already disappointed in this week's total.

'There is some woe that lies upon you... Why will you not tell me more?'
'For that woe is past,' said Galadriel; 'and I would take what joy is here left, untroubled by memory. And maybe there is woe enough yet to come, thought still hope may seem bright.'

ShyElf
Lorien

Jan 14 2013, 4:25am

Post #11 of 19 (97 views)
Shortcut
Thanks so much Arandiel! [In reply to] Can't Post

I graciously accept your vitural award! Smile You are so sweet.

After not being able to do much for so very long, I'm itching to get back at it.

Cheers!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 14 2013, 7:23pm

Post #12 of 19 (74 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad she's better, and [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you get your Jazzy motivation back - maybe someone will unexpectedly start your favorite class at the closest gym? It could happen, right?!?

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 14 2013, 7:25pm

Post #13 of 19 (75 views)
Shortcut
Don't say what? [In reply to] Can't Post

Happens to all of us, sometimes repeatedly. It's what we do after that counts. I'll save the precise Gandalf quote for someone else.Wink
*goes off, whistling 'pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again'*

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Jan 16 2013, 7:43pm

Post #14 of 19 (64 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell : There and Back Again [In reply to] Can't Post

I just saw this challenge and was sooo excited. I am going to commit to going from Bag End to the Lonely mountain solo by the time the 2nd movie comes out. I have 64 miles so far and that puts me somewhere near the Old Forest.
I hope I'm doing this right. I went to Eowyns's Challenge web site and looked up some info.
If I'm not doing something right let me know, I'm new to the site.Smile

weaver
Half-elven

Jan 16 2013, 8:55pm

Post #15 of 19 (64 views)
Shortcut
we're holed up for the winter.... [In reply to] Can't Post

We have managed to walk on the weekends when the weather permits, but otherwise it's too dark and cold and icy after work where I live -- and dangerous! There are drivers like me out there sometimes -- I could get myself killed!

Mr. Weaver and I will be back in action come spring time -- and with luck I'll even report in and log my miles a lot more!

Thanks for being our cheerleader!

Weaver

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 17 2013, 4:01am

Post #16 of 19 (54 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, Eowyn3! [In reply to] Can't Post

to TORn and the WtR!

Looks to me like you understand the challenge pretty well! While I do track people's mileage (some day, I'll let everyone in on what my spreadsheet looks like...), I recommend that you keep track as well, just in case. We welcome all levels and many types of activity, and our focus is on encouraging each other on and celebrating our successes.

So, what kinds of exercise do you enjoy?

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 17 2013, 4:04am

Post #17 of 19 (68 views)
Shortcut
Oh, hi, weaver! *waves excitedly* [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, something about "NY/Canadian border" just says it all. Stay safe, and thanks for the update!

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Jan 18 2013, 12:01am

Post #18 of 19 (60 views)
Shortcut
There and Back Again [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Arandiel,
Thank you for organizing this. I have even gotten my son interested in walking/running more. I mostly run, but sometimes I get on my bike also. I am logging my miles at home. Should I report them once a week?Smile

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 18 2013, 6:29am

Post #19 of 19 (66 views)
Shortcut
Many of us update once a week, [In reply to] Can't Post

but there's no hard-and-fast rule. Others update once a month, or whenever life lets them. It's whatever works best for you.

I'm glad to hear you're getting your son going, too! My daughter (Beamer) is participating in the group challenge. She's a bit young yet to have much online presence, so I post her miles for her. It's been fun to let her know how her mileage relates to Bilbo's.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.