Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Dwarves riding boars concept art

RalphDamiani
Rivendell

Jan 11 2013, 3:46am

Post #1 of 15 (1081 views)
Shortcut
Dwarves riding boars concept art Can't Post

Concept art from the game Armies of the Third Age. It's licensed, so expect to see some sort of resemblance to the movie's designs.

http://www.bhmpics.com/...d_age-1680x1050.html

Here's an outfit for Legolas: http://www.desconectado.com.br/...d_Age_Legolas_01.jpg

The official site has some more artwork.

(This post was edited by RalphDamiani on Jan 11 2013, 3:47am)

flameofudun
Lorien

Jan 11 2013, 4:07am

Post #2 of 15 (528 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

These are in the kingdoms of middle earth online app as well. I especially like the dwarves newly canonized mounts!Laugh

''We are very dangerous over short distances''

-Gimli

peace1993
Bree

Jan 11 2013, 4:12am

Post #3 of 15 (512 views)
Shortcut
Epic!!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks bad-ass!!!

Sam: Trust a Brandybuck and a Took.
Merry: What? That was just a detour, a shortcut.
Sam: Shortcut to what?
Pippin: Mushrooms!

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 11 2013, 9:13am

Post #4 of 15 (409 views)
Shortcut
That's a weird position for Legolas to be standing in! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if they have put the Dwarves on boars, to give them a bit more height - so that they are roughly the same height as the orcs?

RalphDamiani
Rivendell

Jan 11 2013, 12:24pm

Post #5 of 15 (365 views)
Shortcut
Dain's arrival [In reply to] Can't Post

If it's going to be anything like the ride of Theoden, they needed a cavalry to come to the rescue. Also, if Gungabad will come with a warg regiment, the dwarves would be a at a serious disadvantadge to counter them without long spears.
I wonder if Dale will have a cavalry as well, since the Rohirrim are their distant cousins.

TFP
Rivendell

Jan 11 2013, 12:30pm

Post #6 of 15 (340 views)
Shortcut
cavalry? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If it's going to be anything like the ride of Theoden, they needed a cavalry to come to the rescue. Also, if Gungabad will come with a warg regiment, the dwarves would be a at a serious disadvantadge to counter them without long spears.
I wonder if Dale will have a cavalry as well, since the Rohirrim are their distant cousins.

I doubt it. Esgaroth seems like kind of a city state... I don't imagine them keeping a lot of horses.

Lightice
Lorien

Jan 11 2013, 1:07pm

Post #7 of 15 (334 views)
Shortcut
City state... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I doubt it. Esgaroth seems like kind of a city state... I don't imagine them keeping a lot of horses.

City state means a region dominated by one city which is surrounded by a great deal of countryside. It doesn't mean a city with no control to things outside its walls. This doesn't really determine whether or not they have a cavalry. I'm not inclined to think that they do, though, since as a culture based on trade on water, they would be more likely to have a defensive fleet. I expect to see a fair bit of fighting from ships during Smaug's attack, actually.

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Jan 11 2013, 4:02pm

Post #8 of 15 (321 views)
Shortcut
Wild boar riding example [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUYw0X6u35c

It can be done and the noise! That sound multiplied by thousands would scare the #### out of anyone facing them.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Jan 11 2013, 4:04pm)

RalphDamiani
Rivendell

Jan 11 2013, 5:09pm

Post #9 of 15 (248 views)
Shortcut
Good lord! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's the sound of the bowels of hell. But to a warg that's a sound of a thousand slow marching bacons. I really question their effectiveness compared to small horses.

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 11 2013, 6:30pm

Post #10 of 15 (198 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
That's the sound of the bowels of hell. But to a warg that's a sound of a thousand slow marching bacons. I really question their effectiveness compared to small horses.

Now I am going to have that picture in my mind when I see it onscreen. God, I'm still laughing when I think of it.

Rane
Bree

Jan 11 2013, 6:37pm

Post #11 of 15 (200 views)
Shortcut
Whoa [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope they keep that sound for the movie. Those orcs might want to reconsider fighting.

And since dwarves are shorter they'd obviously be more comfortable riding those things.

Photobucket

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Jan 11 2013, 6:42pm

Post #12 of 15 (212 views)
Shortcut
Boars get bigger than the one in the video. [In reply to] Can't Post

Now, I don't think you would ride a boar like a horse over great distance etc. I think the idea is that they would ride them at the battle. The Romans employed and other ancients..Alexander etc. employed pigs to counter elephants (who are afraid of the squealing)...I guess Oliphants may react in a similar fashion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_pig

Taladamir
The Shire

Jan 11 2013, 7:04pm

Post #13 of 15 (183 views)
Shortcut
don't dismiss.. [In reply to] Can't Post

..the fighting abilities of wild hogs especially large ones. They can be extremely dangerous. I personally love the idea of seeing them shred some wargsSmile also they are not slow and could probably be a fine cavalry for dwarves.this will be epic!

RalphDamiani
Rivendell

Jan 11 2013, 8:25pm

Post #14 of 15 (155 views)
Shortcut
This was highly educational! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the link. Smile

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Jan 11 2013, 8:43pm

Post #15 of 15 (176 views)
Shortcut
I think Legolas is on a slope or a stair...his back leg is [In reply to] Can't Post

elevated higher than the front. Since in the BO5A they fight from slopes this stance is perfect.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.