Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Eye of Sauron, Eye of Smaug

Ave Moria
Rivendell

Jan 11 2013, 1:02am

Post #1 of 14 (699 views)
Shortcut
Eye of Sauron, Eye of Smaug Can't Post

It's not just me right?

They look identical. I don't think Sauron is using Smaug as a body, but do you think we will see something in the next two films to expand on the White Council scene where Gandalf warns of Smaug working with the enemy?

I doubt that line was put in there for no reason-

-In the Darkness, a torch we hold-

dungolfin
The Shire

Jan 11 2013, 1:22am

Post #2 of 14 (362 views)
Shortcut
I missed that line... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I think that they'll have enough on their plate linking Saurons arc with the LOTR storyline.

Smaug is just one of the WMD's that need to be eliminated before the coming storm - a significant chess piece that could affect the outcome. But at this stage, given Smaug drives out the dwarves many, many years before Sauron reappears I just don't see that connection. I always thought that Smaug was pretty much a rogue element, acting in his own self interest.

Ave Moria
Rivendell

Jan 11 2013, 1:23am

Post #3 of 14 (332 views)
Shortcut
WMD [In reply to] Can't Post

I love that concept. He really is a sort of weapon if controlled properly.

Perhaps Gandalf is merely concerned based on past history with Glaurung and Ancalagon.

-In the Darkness, a torch we hold-

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Jan 11 2013, 1:24am

Post #4 of 14 (373 views)
Shortcut
Again and again and... again ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Why? This thread appears like a ghost every week again^^

They look totally different. Why is everybody (I know not everybody but a lot of you guys) looking for a forced connection between Sauron and Smaug?

It's just a fear Gandalf has. It is possible that Smaug could perhaps join with Sauron but it will never happen in the film. Why? Because Smaug will be killed by Bard when he leaves Erebor for the first time since he enters it. No chance for him joining Sauron at any point. And at the same time we will have the White Councils attack on Sauron in Dol Guldur. That's called a PREVENTATIV STRIKE!

Will we see something in the next two films to expand on the White Council scene where Gandalf warns of Smaug working with the enemy?

Yes of course! That's why all this happens. That's why Gandalf is helping them. He fears a potential threat. An alliance between Sauron and Smaug. It is possible for Gandalf and that's why he is helping Thorin & Co. He wants them to kill the dragon BEFORE he becomes a threat for Rivendell or all the other free people. But that has nothing to do with the eyes. Again: One eye is a reptilian eye (Smaug) and the other one is a flaming eye (Sauron). Except of the color there are no similarities.

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

Bladerunner
Gondor

Jan 11 2013, 1:39am

Post #5 of 14 (332 views)
Shortcut
Smaug had left Erebor many times since entered it the first time... [In reply to] Can't Post

He continued to raid the region for a long time after sacking Erebor.
It was just that it had been a long while since he had been seen or heard by the time of Thorin's quest.

In Reply To
... Because Smaug will be killed by Bard when he leaves Erebor for the first time since he enters it.

Rane
Bree

Jan 11 2013, 1:40am

Post #6 of 14 (331 views)
Shortcut
Let's compare [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug's eye: http://images.wikia.com/...s/d/dd/Smaug_eye.jpg

Sauron's eye: http://www.crossfitktown.com/...s/2012/12/sauron.jpg

Smaug's eye reminds me of a gecko's actually.

Photobucket

morgul lord
Rivendell

Jan 11 2013, 2:06am

Post #7 of 14 (275 views)
Shortcut
Identical? No. [In reply to] Can't Post

At most, they look vaguely similar.

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Jan 11 2013, 2:15am

Post #8 of 14 (245 views)
Shortcut
agree [In reply to] Can't Post

i agree, i brought this up before i quite a bit of backlash for some reason

you cant deny both eyes look very similar!

sure you could say all lizard/evil eyes come in this bogstandard fantasy version, but the thought that goes into these films makes me think this isnt just a coincidence.

heres the link to my comparison, i still cant believe people dont think they look the same!

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=8195;

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

(This post was edited by jimmyfenn on Jan 11 2013, 2:16am)

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 11 2013, 2:17am

Post #9 of 14 (248 views)
Shortcut
This +1 // [In reply to] Can't Post

Plurmo
Rohan

Jan 11 2013, 3:12am

Post #10 of 14 (243 views)
Shortcut
The Eye of Smaug is the Eye of Sauron transposed to E minor. Very subtle.// [In reply to] Can't Post

imin
Valinor

Jan 11 2013, 3:14am

Post #11 of 14 (232 views)
Shortcut
Lolz [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Doug.

Doug Adams
Bree

Jan 11 2013, 3:40am

Post #12 of 14 (216 views)
Shortcut
Not me ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but I have to admit I got a good laugh at that one, too!

-Doug Adams

RalphDamiani
Rivendell

Jan 11 2013, 4:00am

Post #13 of 14 (191 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

They're both yellow and lizard like. What sort of eye would you expect from a dragon?
And Sauron's eye was like Tolkien described it, more like a cat's eye.

If he had a black iris would you be saying he's controlled by Saruman? Come on, they're just reptile eyes because he's a huge wyrm like creature.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 11 2013, 9:14am

Post #14 of 14 (158 views)
Shortcut
They're not identical at all [In reply to] Can't Post

Any lizard eye is going to look like the Eye of Sauron.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.