Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Austin TX: A Real Hobbiton

Ave Moria

Jan 11 2013, 1:00am

Post #1 of 19 (388 views)
Austin TX: A Real Hobbiton Can't Post

Here in TX we have a real Hobbiton believe it or not...

Some actual street names in Austin:

Silmarillion, Hobbiton, Baggins, Strider, Evenstar, even a Mordor Cove!

-In the Darkness, a torch we hold-

Ave Moria

Jan 11 2013, 1:00am

Post #2 of 19 (242 views)
Tell me this isn't awesome [In reply to] Can't Post

Jan 11 2013, 1:05am

Post #3 of 19 (225 views)
That's awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder though do any of the signs have any vandalism problems? Does anyone repeatedly scrawl the words "One does not simply walk into" Mordor Cove on the sign? That sort of thing :-)?

(This post was edited by Loresilme on Jan 11 2013, 1:05am)

Ave Moria

Jan 11 2013, 1:09am

Post #4 of 19 (221 views)
Ahahahaha [In reply to] Can't Post

Jan 11 2013, 1:15am

Post #5 of 19 (263 views)
Some in England to :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Themed Areas
Some of the areas of South Woodham Ferrers have themed street names:

Middle Earth
The 'Middle Earth estate' is interestingly based around two 'feeder' roads, Gandalfs Ride and Celeborn Street, although it is said that Celeborn Street was originally to have been called Gollums Reach. This would have made sense, as the two main influences of The Lord of The Rings are Gandalf's ride to muster the armies for the War of the Ring, and Gollum's reach for the One Ring. Anyone who has read the trilogy will know the final result of Gollum's reach, and it is little wonder that the street was renamed.

So, to the streets themselves:

Arwen Grove - Arwen was an Elven princess, the half daughter of Elrond, who married Aragorn following the War of the Ring.

Bree Hill - Bree was the main village of Breeland, at the crossroads of The Great East Road and the North Road, most famous for its inn, The Prancing Pony, a place where travellers met to rest and catch up with news and gossip.

Buckland Gate - Buckland was one of the regions of the Hobbit's home in the Shire.

Bucklebury Heath - The hobbits were nearly ambushed by the ring wraiths at Bucklebury ferry on their departure from the Shire.

Butterbur Chase - Barleyman Butterbur was the landlord of The Prancing Pony - an inn in the village of Bree.

Bywater Road - Bywater was a village in the Shire, where the Hobbits came from. It was renowned for its village pub - The Green Dragon - and also the site of the final battle of the War of the Ring, where the evil wizard Saruman was finally defeated.

Celeborn Street - Celeborn (pronounced Keleborn) was the Elven King of Lothlorien, married to the fair Lady Galadriel.

Elronds Rest - Elrond was a half-elven prince, married to Celebrian, the daughter of Celeborn and Galadriel. Elrond's home at Rivendell was known as 'the last homely house east of the sea' and was the venue for the council which led to the formation of the Fellowship of the Ring.

Galadriel Spring - The Lady Galadriel was the Elven queen of Lothlorien. Tall, blonde and beautiful, she was the wearer of one of the three Elven rings of power.

Gandalfs Ride - Gandalf was one of the last and greatest of the wizards of Middle Earth, also known as Mithrandir, elvish for 'grey pilgrim'. He was a friend to the hobbits, a master of fireworks and instrumental in gathering the armies for the War of the Ring.

Gladden Fields - These were the marshlands of the Gladden river, and many years before the events of The Lord of The Rings, a great battle took place causing the One Ring to become lost, until eventually found by Smeagol, who degenerated into Gollum.

Goldberry Mead - Goldberry was the daughter of the River-woman of the Withywindle; she was married to Tom Bombadil, who rescued the Hobbits when they encountered Old Man Willow.

Great Smials - A village in the shire, home of the Hobbits.

Hobbiton Hill - Hobbiton was the most famous village in the Shire, the home of the Hobbits. Bag End, the home of Bilbo and Frodo Baggins, was situated on Hobbiton Hill.

Lorien Gardens - Lorien, in ancient times before the events described in The Lord of the Rings, was a vast, beautiful garden, which in turn gave its name to Lothlorien, where the Elves lived, under their rulers Celebron and Galadriel.

Meriadoc Drive - Meriadoc Brandybuck, also known as 'Merry' was one of the hobbits who accompanied Frodo Baggins on their quest. After the War of the Ring he became Master of Buckland.

Rivendell Vale - Rivendell was a refuge built in the mountains by the elves. It was the site of the House of Elrond, where Bilbo Baggins resided for many years after leaving the Shire.

Rohan Court - The kingdom of Rohan (meaning Horse Land) was homeland of the Rohirrim, skilled horsemen who played a key role in the battles of the war of the Ring.

Shirebourn Vale - The Shire was the peaceful, historic homeland of the hobbits.

The Withywindle - This was a small river which flowed through the Old Forest, to the east of the Shire, home of the hobbits.

Thorins Gate - Thorin is a name shared by several kings of the dwarves. Thorin Oakenshield was killed in The Hobbit which preceded the events of The Lord of The Rings.

Took Drive - Peregrine Took, also known as 'Pippin', was a hobbit, and a companion of Frodo Baggins in the Fellowship of the Ring. Following the War of the Ring he became ruler of the Shire.

Treebeard Copse - Treebeard was an Ent, or Tree Shepherd, who lived in the old forest of Fangorn. He and his fellow ents destroyed Saruman's fortress at Isengard.

Westmarch - Like Buckland, Westmarch was part of the Shire, the historic home of the hobbits.

White Tree Court - The White Tree was ancient, even in the times described in the Lord of the Rings, the line of saplings could be traced back to pre-history and was a symbol of the continuing line of the men of Gondor.

Sadly, Shepherd Neame did insufficient research when they opened their pub, The Curlew, on Gandalfs Ride. Whilst it's true that Curlews nest in the wetlands near the pub, a little more research would have suggested The Prancing Pony or The Green Dragon - both of which feature in the books.

Jan 11 2013, 2:13am

Post #6 of 19 (225 views)
Awesome [In reply to] Can't Post

What's the square footage on the homes in that area? Maximum height of signs and doors?

Jan 11 2013, 8:53am

Post #7 of 19 (186 views)
There's a Hollin Drive in Leeds as well. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Jan 11 2013, 1:02pm

Post #8 of 19 (160 views)
The people behind naming . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I would love to hear the story on how people got away naming these streets. Some Tolkien fan that had power in the city? A local petition? Would be neat to know for knowing's sake.

Don't be hasty.

Lily Fairbairn

Jan 11 2013, 1:53pm

Post #9 of 19 (155 views)
The Hobbiton film set in Mata Mata... [In reply to] Can't Post

...is on Buckland Road! Seriously---that was its name long before PJ's scouts came calling.

AlassŽa Eruvande

Jan 11 2013, 3:05pm

Post #10 of 19 (147 views)
Hey! Another Texas TORnado! [In reply to] Can't Post

*Waves from up the highway*

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Aunt Dora Baggins

Jan 11 2013, 5:06pm

Post #11 of 19 (123 views)
Here's the one in my hometown [In reply to] Can't Post

including Gilgalad Way, Mirrormere, Shire Court, Chetwood Court, Hillpond Road link I discovered this when I was looking up an address of a friend and discovered they lived on Gilgalad Way.

You don't see it on this map, but there's also a Hobbit Street and and Evenstar Street nearby. And a Rivendell School in town.

If Rosie-with-the-Ribbons sees this thread, maybe she'll post a map of her neighborhood in the Netherlands, which also has Tolkien-themed street names.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Jan 11 2013, 5:10pm)

Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 11 2013, 5:32pm

Post #12 of 19 (119 views)
Cool!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

It is so great to come across Tolkien names in ordinary life.

I live in a neighbourhood where all the streetnames come from characters from Tolkien.
This is a link to Google Maps.
I live at Bofur 5. I can always spot the fans when I say my address. They start laughing, the non-fans ask me to spell the name.
It is fun thinking about it when I go somewhere. Crossing Fangorn to go to Saruman Wink.

Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 11 2013, 5:32pm

Post #13 of 19 (115 views)
You just beat me [In reply to] Can't Post

was looking for that link Wink

Ave Moria

Jan 11 2013, 5:47pm

Post #14 of 19 (114 views)
hello! [In reply to] Can't Post

Jan 12 2013, 4:31am

Post #15 of 19 (95 views)
There's one like that in Kearns, Utah [In reply to] Can't Post

This thread reminded me of a neighborhood where a friend of mine lives in Utah, that has all Tolkien related street names:

Brandywine Street, Treebeard Rd, Gandalf Drive, Mirkwood lane, Rivendell Road, Brandybuck street, Dimrall drive, Ettenmoor circle, Shire circle, and Bree street.

I just now looked it up in Google maps to make sure it really existed, I hadn't been out there in years. But sure enough it is there, between Bangerter Highway and 4000 West.

Unfortunately we don't have anything like this where I live in Lubbock, TX.

There was a man.
There was a lady.
There was a Dragon Lord.

Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 12 2013, 4:34am

Post #16 of 19 (104 views)
Rosie, you live in the geekiest of neighborhoods! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love it! Smile

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Kelly of Water's Edge

Jan 12 2013, 11:45am

Post #17 of 19 (103 views)
Is this near the usual tourist areas? [In reply to] Can't Post

Or in a residential area? I'm actually going to Hill Country for my sightseeing vacation this year and would like to see the signs if they aren't out of the way. If I could fit them in with seeing the History of Texas Museum, the Capitol, the Governor's Mansion and the dusk flight of the Congress Avenue Bridge bat colony, that would be great!

Ave Moria

Jan 12 2013, 4:03pm

Post #18 of 19 (94 views)
Hello- [In reply to] Can't Post

It doesn't look like they are, but I can tell you all the streets are clustered together in one area, called Shady Hollow. Googling Silmarillion Trail in Austin, TX should bring up addresses, then whoosh GPS, bam photo op!Wink

Kelly of Water's Edge

Jan 12 2013, 5:26pm

Post #19 of 19 (125 views)
Thanks. I'll look into it. [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.