Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Barrels out of Bond
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

imin
Valinor

Jan 11 2013, 12:09am

Post #26 of 32 (204 views)
Shortcut
Haha so true [blush] [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
We'll see how it's done, and we can then scream how over the top and cartoony it was.Smile

I think this time round i am going to be much more prepared for any over the top-ness coming my way, lol.

I would be happy if they did it that way to - though i think a lot of it comes down to the way they make the cellars look and the general feel of the Thranduil's halls - if that is all ramped up to the max then it might not work so well. The inclusion of Tauriel is going to change it quite a bit to what i can come up with based on the books i am going to guess.

I am very excited to see how they manage it really - for me DOS has some excellent locations - the parts i have imagined the most clearly from DOS would be Beorn and Mirkwood - if they get those right (to me) then i will be very happy :)

Ave Moria
Rivendell

Jan 11 2013, 1:17am

Post #27 of 32 (161 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I am very anxious to see Mirkwood, and how the digital grading is going to compliment the extreme color palette of the woods (per the production journal)

I can't WAIT to see Beorn's house. Hopefully lots of honey Wink

-In the Darkness, a torch we hold-

marillaraina
Rohan

Jan 11 2013, 1:33am

Post #28 of 32 (158 views)
Shortcut
Not sure I see the problem. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To
But there is a difference between action scenes, and "rollercoaster" action scenes. They could still have barrels going through rapids and such without turning it into a gimmicky and utterly ridiculous sequence.

I'm just worried they will choose to make it akin to the falling bridge in AUJ. Sure it's fun, but it also rips you out of the film.

this

I fail to see how riding a river would not be a "rollercoaster" ride. The dwarves were battered and bruised when they arrived at Laketown, it was not an easy ride down the river for them.

A rough ride down a river would very likely include rapids and some twists and turns. I fail to see how the Vlog sequences show anything that would be unrealistic to expect out of a trip down a river in barrels?

jtarkey
Rohan

Jan 11 2013, 6:59am

Post #29 of 32 (114 views)
Shortcut
I hope you're right [In reply to] Can't Post

From what we saw in the vlogs, the sequence looked great. However, there is certainly a chance they can go way over the top with it. Imagine a waterfall pops up down the river. Barrels go over the edge, smashing on rocks and such. Some cracking open with dwarves clinging on to new barrels that are also on the river. It could really end up as a totally ridiculous action scene that is in no way rooted to reality.

This happened ALOT in AUJ, which worries me for the later films. I mean no offense, but if you don't think that bridge falling in goblin town was ridiculous, I just don't know what to say. Anyone who likes that sequence should be able to admit that it is totally impossible. It also had horrible green screen during close ups. Action sequences are more gripping when you actually fear for the lives of the characters. They lose their grip when they become frequent and over the top.

Yes, we all know these characters survive along the way. However, that doesn't mean tension should be destroyed so easily

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jan 11 2013, 8:52am

Post #30 of 32 (100 views)
Shortcut
I could see that working [In reply to] Can't Post

particularly well when the two film split would have occurred at this point: AUJ would have ended with the high-octane barrel ride escpe down the rapids, and by the time TABA opened the Dwarves & Bilbo would be calmly floating towards the opening into the Long Lake...

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Jan 11 2013, 3:55pm

Post #31 of 32 (72 views)
Shortcut
They need a new casking director. [In reply to] Can't Post

We already know they're not even in the barrels in this scene.

Could have been very effective and frightening if there was a sense of drowning and claustrophobia - if, for example you just saw their eyes or noses through the air holes - lots of possibilities for creative film making. But sitting in and half out of barrels, as in the clips so far does look like a directorial decision designed solely for the inevitable theme park ride.

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 12 2013, 12:20am

Post #32 of 32 (82 views)
Shortcut
The Barrels scene [In reply to] Can't Post

Is a pretty unique chapter in literature. It's one of Bilbo's really shining moments. I think it's going to have to be a narrow escape, followed by near-death in the rapids. You'd need that, this after all an adventure, not a travelogue.

How far will they go? I won't even speculate. I've seen some of those shots that were posted last year that showed them shooting some of the scenes with the actors half-in and out of the barrels. I guess what we really ought to ask is: How long are the dwarves sealed up in the barrels?

Does this mean it's really a two-part barrel adventure?

1. Narrow escape from the cellars, hidden in the barrels
2. Bilbo helps the dwarves exit the barrels, and they decide to float down the river in them -- big mistake -- they end up in the rapids.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.