Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
for more input, you might want to post a link to this post in the Reading Room...

weaver
Half-elven

Jan 16 2013, 10:23pm

Views: 35
Shortcut
for more input, you might want to post a link to this post in the Reading Room... [In reply to] Can't Post

There are some nice comfy arm chairs in the Reading Room, and it is great place for longer and indepth discussion on Tolkien's writings, as you have put together here!

I tend to think of Tom more in connection with nature than music, but you are right about how strong the singing references are with him. To me, looking at LOTR from the perspective of how Tolkien wrote them, I always thought Tom was the place where the story crosses over into Faerie for the first time -- the whole bit with the threshold the hobbits have to cross to enter, and the way Goldberry is described, etc. I rather liked that he was left "undefined" as that opens up the reader to that world more, if I can put it that way. And for Tolkien, I could see him tapping into a figure/image like Tom to help him figure out creatively where to go with the story, if I can put it that way. For me he's more of a device than anything really defined, I guess.

That said, you make a good case that Tom B is in the same continuum as other parts of the Tale that tie into music as an active force and power, and I applaud all of the careful thought, time and energy you put into this! Thanks for posting it and for how well you arranged your thoughts and theory!

Weaver

Subject User Time
Tom Bombadil New twist on an Old Theory rangerfromthenorth Send a private message to rangerfromthenorth Jan 10 2013, 1:45am
    Very good theory Fredeghar Wayfarer Send a private message to Fredeghar Wayfarer Jan 10 2013, 6:53am
        Ah yes His his limitation rangerfromthenorth Send a private message to rangerfromthenorth Jan 10 2013, 1:45pm
            TB&G's response Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil Jan 10 2013, 4:01pm
    I would generally agree. Rostron2 Send a private message to Rostron2 Jan 10 2013, 9:53pm
        Ditto! Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil Jan 10 2013, 11:16pm
        Heinlein JWPlatt Jan 11 2013, 2:39am
        The Ainulindalė is complete as a Creation Myth. Plurmo Send a private message to Plurmo Jan 11 2013, 2:52am
            Thank you much rangerfromthenorth Send a private message to rangerfromthenorth Jan 11 2013, 5:37pm
                A very fascinating theory! Asger Send a private message to Asger Jan 11 2013, 10:37pm
    for more input, you might want to post a link to this post in the Reading Room... weaver Send a private message to weaver Jan 16 2013, 10:23pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.