Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
My Geeky Observations... it's a start :)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

kiwifan
Rohan

Jan 15 2013, 12:58am

Post #176 of 193 (209 views)
Shortcut
Apparently, he only speaks Old Dwarvish and no one save Gandalf can understand him [In reply to] Can't Post

so perhaps he uses sign language to communicate with the others?

The bit about the Old Dwarvish can be found in Brian Sibley's book 'The Hobbit: The Official Movie Guide'

(not that anyone erroneously assumes I have any command of that language at all --- no such luck! Or skill, rather than luck...)

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 15 2013, 2:08am

Post #177 of 193 (205 views)
Shortcut
Bifur's sign language [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't see him do it often.

His gestures while the Dwarves were arguing at the dinner table looked like he was mimicking tearing things up into little pieces.

" Well well!", said a voice. "Just look! Bilbo the hobbit on a pony, my dear! Isn't it delicious!"
"Most astonishing wonderful!"

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 15 2013, 6:26am

Post #178 of 193 (186 views)
Shortcut
cookieeeeeees! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

When Balin arrives at Bag End, Dwalin is just trying to get hold of the contents of a big cookie-jar. Without success though, as his dwarven hands are too big.

I always laugh at that scene....not because he can't get the cookies (cause he actually has his fingers around some of them)....
......I laugh because of the way he jumps when Balin yells at him.....like a little kid who just got caught by Mommy with his hands in a cookie jar.....LOL

I was starting to feel guilty for wanting to see it a fifth time...

No longer feeling guilty at all...

(how'd I miss Mr. Grumpy and the Cookie jar?????)

Go outside and play...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 15 2013, 6:27am

Post #179 of 193 (176 views)
Shortcut
sausages... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

It's Nori that has the sausages around his neck, not Ori.

yep, it is Nori

I think that's Bombur snoring/sucking in moths, not Gloin.

No...it is Gloin

Fili's on the same leg as Bilbo, and Kili with Thorin.

Right again.

Nori stealing string of sausages... Bofur in tug of war with him, either to eat them himself, or because he think Nori is just being naughty and taking too many sausages...

Go outside and play...

marillaraina
Rohan

Jan 15 2013, 8:03am

Post #180 of 193 (185 views)
Shortcut
Don't think so... [In reply to] Can't Post

Kili weild's a sword it seems as much as he weild's a bow and arrow. We first see him weilding a sword, when he attacks the Stone Trolls before the rest of the group gets there. He appears to be quite comfortable with it. Actually in one of those books, with the character descriptions, under Kili's they didn't even include the illustration of his bow(which I thought strange), they just included his sword, so I think he's supposed to be as well trained with a sword as he is with a bow.

I think his look of surprise was because a) he hasn't been in many battles and b) he probably never tried blocking arrows with a sword before, it was just instinct and somehow it worked. :) I think stuff like that is good, because while he's clearly fairly confident in his abilities and he's very clearly well trained and practiced, he probably hasn't had much battle experience and things like his being surprised by blocking the arrows and taking Thorin's order's seriously keeps him from appearing overly cocky.

Also when it comes to surprise, he also looks very slightly surprised he managed to hit that first warg which attacks them in the wood when Radagast is with them. I think it's just because real battle is pretty new to him and he's pleasantly surprised he can do this stuff when it's needed. Sort of like "I did that? I did that" :)

kiwifan
Rohan

Jan 15 2013, 10:52am

Post #181 of 193 (192 views)
Shortcut
It was only an idea that crossed my mind [In reply to] Can't Post

and I certainly haven't noticed anything resembling proper sign language as we know it (or in my case, don't know it). The injury to his head is supposed to have done something to his brain, and apparently to his personality as well (according to Brian Sibley's book) so that probably explains whatever oddities Bifur manifests.

'Goodness gracious, you really are a messie!' 'Oh no, I'm not, these are all just mathoms...'

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 15 2013, 5:01pm

Post #182 of 193 (160 views)
Shortcut
Possibly he's signing in Dwarvish? [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually I don't think he's really "signing", just making gestures about what he may be feeling. The finger gestures at the dinner table looks more like he's mashing or tearing things up. If the conversation is about Bilbo being their burglar and signing the contract, perhaps Bifur is describing the contract being shredded! I'm afraid I don't remember if this is what the discussion is about though.

" Well well!", said a voice. "Just look! Bilbo the hobbit on a pony, my dear! Isn't it delicious!"
"Most astonishing wonderful!"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 18 2013, 2:19am

Post #183 of 193 (194 views)
Shortcut
Good eye! [In reply to] Can't Post

Another remedy Radagast tries is when he uses 2 small sticks like chopsticks to give Sebastian a small nugget of something. He also is stirring something in a wooden bowl that he taps his spoon on and then listens to it.

It looks like there's some kind of pelt on the wooden brace behind Radagast when he's realizing there's dark magic at work.

gramma's The Hobbit: Unexpected Journey Line Party Report & Review
and first draught of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 23 2013, 1:45am

Post #184 of 193 (149 views)
Shortcut
Agreed :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

First draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 23 2013, 1:47am

Post #185 of 193 (155 views)
Shortcut
It's so cute [In reply to] Can't Post

Big Bad Dwalin struggles to get those cookies. It's hilarious!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 23 2013, 1:49am

Post #186 of 193 (158 views)
Shortcut
check and check... [In reply to] Can't Post

And I think Bofur really enjoys messing with everyone ;) He's my favourite Dwarf!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 23 2013, 1:56am

Post #187 of 193 (160 views)
Shortcut
Got Observations through Tuesday 1-22 :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

TIME Google Calendar

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 23 2013, 5:58am

Post #188 of 193 (173 views)
Shortcut
Kili [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Kili weild's a sword it seems as much as he weild's a bow and arrow. We first see him weilding a sword, when he attacks the Stone Trolls before the rest of the group gets there. He appears to be quite comfortable with it. Actually in one of those books, with the character descriptions, under Kili's they didn't even include the illustration of his bow(which I thought strange), they just included his sword, so I think he's supposed to be as well trained with a sword as he is with a bow.

I think his look of surprise was because a) he hasn't been in many battles and b) he probably never tried blocking arrows with a sword before, it was just instinct and somehow it worked. :) I think stuff like that is good, because while he's clearly fairly confident in his abilities and he's very clearly well trained and practiced, he probably hasn't had much battle experience and things like his being surprised by blocking the arrows and taking Thorin's order's seriously keeps him from appearing overly cocky.

Also when it comes to surprise, he also looks very slightly surprised he managed to hit that first warg which attacks them in the wood when Radagast is with them. I think it's just because real battle is pretty new to him and he's pleasantly surprised he can do this stuff when it's needed. Sort of like "I did that? I did that" :)

One of the things I like best about Kili is his total lack of cockiness. If he was, I would not be able to stand him. As he is, he is charming and funny and a little dorky along with the highly skilled martial artist bit... especially funny. Having seen Aidan in interviews, I think his own humor is coming through. Makes for a truly lovable character!

Go outside and play...

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Jan 23 2013, 6:16pm

Post #189 of 193 (161 views)
Shortcut
Unsure, but this is something I caught... [In reply to] Can't Post

*Potential spoiler for those who haven't read the book*

Maybe it's already been mentioned, but it looks like one of the swords tucked away in Bilbo's chest during the prologue is Fili's very own. When Fili hands Bilbo his sword at the Unexpected Party, there's just enough time to see it at a similar angle. I could very much be wrong about this as I only noticed this on my most recent view, but knowing what becomes of Fili in the book I think there's a chance I might be right.

FOTR 10th Anniversary Music Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33xJU3AIwsg

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 24 2013, 5:43pm

Post #190 of 193 (135 views)
Shortcut
**I've Gathered Geeky List Info from this post :) THANKS ALL! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 24 2013, 5:47pm

Post #191 of 193 (128 views)
Shortcut
I thought the same thing! [In reply to] Can't Post

When I first saw it, I thought it looked like Fili's, too. I'm wondering if we'll see another blade like it show up in later films, but it would fit that he'd have something of Fili's like that... or anything belonging to any of the dwarves.

I agree, though... it does look like his :)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Tintallė
Gondor

Jan 24 2013, 5:58pm

Post #192 of 193 (145 views)
Shortcut
I can't read through all of these right now [In reply to] Can't Post

so forgive me if these things are already on the list, but here are some of my favorites:

In Dale, a toymaker is rotating a wheel to spin the wings on a large blue bird

When the dwarves are trekking away from Erebor some of their livestock look like impala

You've probaby remarked upon Bilbo's pipe rack on his desk. I love that! I also love the enormous honey pot & dipper on his dining table. And is that a picture of the party tree on the wall behind him as he's sitting by the fire and Gandalf's telling him he may not come back? And I love the baskets of pine cones next to each fireplace, presumably for starting fires.

There's a smashed weathervane atop the ruined farmhouse where the dwarves pull in to camp for the night.

Gandalf wipes his pipe stem on his beard before offering it to Radagast.

Thorin thumps his axe on the rock when he realizes the company has arrived at Rivendell.

What I really want to know is, what is that white face on the end of the wooden box on the floor near the kitchen in Bag End? It's almost cartoony. Is that supposed to be Belladonna Took? Is that her glory box? And what is that big round silvery thing with long handles hanging on the wall over Bilbo's right shoulder as he sits down to his trout dinner? Questions, questions that need answering. . .

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 5 2013, 12:04am

Post #193 of 193 (187 views)
Shortcut
**PLEASE DO NOT ADD ANYMORE OBSERVATIONS FOR THE LIST TO THIS THREAD!** :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I've made the final gathering of geeky observations for this thread. Please post any additions to the most current Hobbit Movie Board Thread. THANKS MUCHLY!! J

sample

TIME Google Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.