Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What's your favorite moment from AUJ?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 9 2013, 3:06pm

Post #51 of 72 (339 views)
Shortcut
Chamomile tea [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the way Dori says "chamo-mile" instead of "chamo-meel". Unless it's pronounced differently than it is in the US?

" Well well!", said a voice. "Just look! Bilbo the hobbit on a pony, my dear! Isn't it delicious!"
"Most astonishing wonderful!"

ShireHorse
Rohan

Jan 9 2013, 3:08pm

Post #52 of 72 (361 views)
Shortcut
I also liked the interaction between Dori and Gandalf. [In reply to] Can't Post

Dori has such a great Yorkshire accent there and his whole manner makes me smile.

But let me offer a couple of obscure ones too:

When Bilbo is frying his fish at Bag End, he tucks his serviette neatly into his collar and sprinkles some salt precisely on his food. I thought it illustrated so well his prissy and tidy bachelor existence - which is also very lonely.

When Bofur is talking to Bilbo in the cave, Thorin wakes up. The look in his eyes is quite complex: regret that he has driven Bilbo away? Sadness that the hobbit is actually going? Pain that Bilbo is going home, a thing he cannot do himself as yet? The decision to let him go without stopping him?

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 9 2013, 3:10pm

Post #53 of 72 (321 views)
Shortcut
I like this part [In reply to] Can't Post

with Radagast and the stick insect! I also liked how frantic he is when he sees the dead animals and the injured trees, and how desperately he is trying to help poor Sebastian. Crazy

" Well well!", said a voice. "Just look! Bilbo the hobbit on a pony, my dear! Isn't it delicious!"

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 9 2013, 3:43pm

Post #54 of 72 (341 views)
Shortcut
Thorin in the Bilbo/Bofur conversation [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
When Bofur is talking to Bilbo in the cave, Thorin wakes up. The look in his eyes is quite complex: regret that he has driven Bilbo away? Sadness that the hobbit is actually going? Pain that Bilbo is going home, a thing he cannot do himself as yet? The decision to let him go without stopping him?

I took it to be the third, and not entirely on his own behalf either. He seemed to me particularly affected when Bofur agreed with Bilbo "You're right. We don't belong anywhere".

Though it is hard to be sure. Again my take, but after they all escape the caves, Thorin is very negative about Bilbo, claiming he has left for good and making disparaging remarks about his longing for his soft bed, etc. This I took to indicate he did not regret Bilbo's leaving, either at that point or earlier. And to me, this understanding was supported by Thorin's reaction to Bilbo's speech when challenged by him to explain his return. He looked down and away from Bilbo during that speech, which to me suggested shame/an awareness that he had been in the wrong (which, being an arrogant so-and-so he was not going to admit without further provocation...) I felt this was really the first time Thorin had seriously considered his initial judgment of his grocer-like burglar may have been wrong.

It's not a single moment, but the series of moments between Thorin and Bilbo starting with the Stone Giants, through to the hug at the end, was probably my favorite "thread" of the film's story.

ShireHorse
Rohan

Jan 9 2013, 4:03pm

Post #55 of 72 (320 views)
Shortcut
Pronunciation: [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I love the way Dori says "chamo-mile" instead of "chamo-meel". Unless it's pronounced differently than it is in the US?

Yes, LOL!

We Brits also spell it "camomile".

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 9 2013, 4:13pm

Post #56 of 72 (306 views)
Shortcut
Which is the right way, obviously. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Jan 9 2013, 5:31pm

Post #57 of 72 (303 views)
Shortcut
Yes, the "correct" English pronounciation is 'Camo-mile!...' [In reply to] Can't Post

Just like we say "Few-tile" and you say "Few-till" or something like that...

The i and the e are separated by only one consonant, so our rule is that the i is pronounced "eye" Smile

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Jan 9 2013, 5:32pm)

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 9 2013, 6:30pm

Post #58 of 72 (272 views)
Shortcut
Surely no version of English is phonetic...// [In reply to] Can't Post

Yva
Rivendell

Jan 9 2013, 6:41pm

Post #59 of 72 (290 views)
Shortcut
What's your favorite moment from AUJ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Favourite funny moment: "Apology accepted" /heartfelt smile

Favourite anything else moment: 1) Thorin's backstory narrated by Balin... it really makes you want to go and follow that guy wherever he goes. 2) A cut on Bilbo on his bed listening to the dwarves singing... there's an ocean of meaning in that scene

Favourite scenery: Erebor. Finally we get to see glimpses of dwarven greatness

Favourite wig: I love Thorin's hair. The ashy coal black with streaks of silvery grey, the receding hairline...

Favourite Thorin moment: "Welcome, Thorin, son of Thráin." "I do not believe we have met." We need to see more of dry, sarcastic Thorin

Favourite Bilbo moment: all of them, without exaggeration, everytime the camera closes on Bilbo, it's a win

Favourite little detail & pleasant surprise: Ori

ShireHorse
Rohan

Jan 9 2013, 10:40pm

Post #60 of 72 (269 views)
Shortcut
Yes, the Bilbo/Thorin thread [In reply to] Can't Post

is a good one to follow. And I'm sure their relationship will continue to have its ups and downs in the next film.

But I still think that scene in the cave is more complex that you give it credit for. We get two shots of Thorin. In the first he opens his eyes (although you get the feeling that he hasn't been asleep) just as Bilbo says that he shouldn't have come and that Thorin was right. Perhaps Thorin didn't intend to stop him because he still thinks he's right - after all the lives of his men are at stake - but there is a thoughtful sadness in his eyes which makes me think he wishes the situation were otherwise.

Then Bilbo makes those quite cruel and insensitive remarks when he says he's going home and that he can't live a homeless existence like the dwarves. Bombur looks hurt and Bilbo realises that he is out of order. Cut to Thorin and you can see the pain in his eyes as he thinks about the near impossibility of winning back Erebor for his people.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 9 2013, 11:07pm

Post #61 of 72 (249 views)
Shortcut
You may be right! [In reply to] Can't Post

My first time watching the movie, I was so focused on Bilbo and Bofur I did not realize Thorin had been awake before Sting started to glow blue. Sly

I need to go see it one more time before it leaves the local theaters!

ShireHorse
Rohan

Jan 9 2013, 11:12pm

Post #62 of 72 (238 views)
Shortcut
It's up on YT [In reply to] Can't Post

(at least for the moment.) I'm not very happy about it and I hope they can take all these extracts down soon.....but, in the meantime, the scene is up under: We don't belong anywhere - The Hobbit.

TheBladeGlowsBlue
Rivendell

Jan 10 2013, 12:45am

Post #63 of 72 (235 views)
Shortcut
Yes you absolutely must! [In reply to] Can't Post

As do I... I watched it for a second time last night (Aussie time) and have to say I missed so much the first time I did wonder if I had my eyes closed on first viewing!!

The scene in the cave (goblin 'front porch' - what a great line from the goblin to the King that was!) was sheer brilliance - I am so happy Richard Armitage is playing the role 'real' - much like Viggo played Aragorn.

Another couple of scenes have come back to me after a nights sleep - scenes of the Dwarves mining in Erebor were quite marvellous to behold - the moment a Dwarven smithy held up a molten ingot to be beaten between two enormous hammers - incredible! And the thrush heading back to the Lonely Mountain... I inexplicably forgot how clever that scene was... the thrush cracking a nut against the wall (no doubt near the Secret Door) - and the tap, tap, tapping waking Smaug from his slumber.... now THAT scene was simply breathtaking.

Bring on the Desolation!!!

Smile

Maegnas aen estar nin dagnir in yngyl im

(This post was edited by TheBladeGlowsBlue on Jan 10 2013, 12:48am)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jan 10 2013, 1:12am

Post #64 of 72 (220 views)
Shortcut
Hard call. Possibly Gandalf's explosive entrance into Goblintown, but that is largely because [In reply to] Can't Post

I had long worried that Peter, who can be disparaging of magical displays and stingy with Gandalf's, would either bungle, underplay or avoid showing it altogether. It was one of those situations where I felt the legacy of Gandalf's direct power as a Wizard in these movies would be defined in large part by this moment, so when it turned into a truly impressive and potent display, I breathed a sigh of relief. And I think it is a great moment in the movie.

I Also loved the ENTIRE Erebor sequence, and The Unexpected Party. Best moment in the film for atmosphere has to be the dwarves singining their anthem. It is one of the better moments of the entire series thus far. I also enjoyed the Gandalf and Galadriel scene, though I wish there had been less indication of subordinance on Gandalf's part. I also liked the entire sequence from the time Bilbo misses his handkerchief, to Radagasts realization that foul sorcery is at work in the forest.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 10 2013, 1:17am

Post #65 of 72 (237 views)
Shortcut
Some little bit details [In reply to] Can't Post

Just saw it again tonight. Focused a lot more on Dori and Ori, because...well...I like them. They're two of my faves. And some things I noticed...

When Ori does the "I'm not afraid" speech, Dori immediately looks at Nori. The look he gives is NOT a happy one. Nori, on the other hand, has a rather pleased expression on his face(and at no point does he return Dori's scathing look).

Shoot...I'm trying to remember the scene... They under some kind of overhang, and I think it was Thorin in the foreground. I don't remember what was said, because I was watching Dori who was just within frame. He, once again, doesn't look happy and it looks like he's telling someone off. I thought it was Nori, till the scene pans out, and you see a rather unhappy Ori sitting on a rock, looking very well scolded. Makes me wonder what he did to make Dori upset.

When Dori is hanging from Gandalf's staff, with Ori clinging to his leg, you hear Dori call down, "hang on, lad" with a "it'll be okay" tone to his voice. And then when they're flying away on the Eagle, it almost looks like he's holding Ori down on the Eagle. Though it might be that he's clinging to the feathers and, being that they are two riding on one bird, he's pinned Ori down.

When they're at Rivendell and Dori is trying to gently coax Ori into eating the lettuce, Dori has a glass of wine in front of him. I'll have to look harder next time to see what the other Dwarves have. Just a need little indication that Dori seems to have more refined tastes. Thinking of which, I'll have to see if they show him drinking the mead like the others at Bag End. I have a hard time imaging him chugging it down(and spilling a lot of it) like the other(including him brother Nori).

okay, onto others...

When Gollum realizes that Bilbo has the ring, Bilbo is holding Sting. His hand is slightly shaking. Just a little. I thought it was a nice touch.

When they're riding in the rain, Bofur is still trying to smoke his pipe. He even looks at it disappointingly.

At Bag End, Galdalf using his finger to light his pipe. A moment later, he blows out the flame on his finger.

Dwalin head-butting his way through the enemy at Moria.

I can't wait for the EE, so I can (hopefully) see more Dwarf scenes!! ^_^

TheBladeGlowsBlue
Rivendell

Jan 10 2013, 2:45am

Post #66 of 72 (210 views)
Shortcut
Some great observations there [In reply to] Can't Post

You've inspired me to go again for a third look! (not that I need much encouragement lol)

Thanks for a great post!

Smile

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 10 2013, 2:56am

Post #67 of 72 (207 views)
Shortcut
another one to look for [In reply to] Can't Post

Another thing I forgot to mention. It's been discussed whether Balin and Gandalf knew about Azog still being alive. Here might be some more proof that they did. When Thorin sees Azog again, Balin is near him in the tree. He gives Thorin a look, that Thorin doesn't see. It almost looks like guilt. Missed chance to break the news to Thorin before the nasty shock came?

Something to look for and think about.

TheBladeGlowsBlue
Rivendell

Jan 10 2013, 4:09am

Post #68 of 72 (195 views)
Shortcut
I will definitely look for that! [In reply to] Can't Post

Good work, you clearly have a gift for spotting small details... keep it up!

Smile

Rolfina
Rivendell

Jan 10 2013, 9:10am

Post #69 of 72 (188 views)
Shortcut
I can't name just one, but I'll try to be brief [In reply to] Can't Post

-Bilbo's change from relief to regret when he wakes up after the Unexpected Party
-His chase through Hobbiton and screaming "I am going on an adventure!". Thinking back to the day I started my first long distant walk (all by myself though), I know exactly what he felt like at that moment. I wanted to cuddle him.
-Thorin's warface in Azanulbizar
-all of Gollum's facial expressions, but especially the moment he realizes his precious is gone for good
-burning tree charge complete with anticlimatic instant defeat
-Galadriel. Just... wow

The definite funniest would be the whole parasite exchange and especially the look and kick Thorin gives Kili

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 11 2013, 1:57am

Post #70 of 72 (141 views)
Shortcut
Dori's accent [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

I also love the way he says "deluge" later.

Old Toby
Gondor

Jan 11 2013, 5:42am

Post #71 of 72 (146 views)
Shortcut
I love how Bilbo is so flustered in the beginning [In reply to] Can't Post

when the dwarves start invading his home! I especially love when Dwalin and Balin are both talking to each other in his pantry and Bilbo is talking at the same time, and the look as he follows his blue cheese as they toss it out of the pantry! I think the beginning of this movie is the most wonderful for me...all the way up to Bilbo's leaving Bag End. Absolutely brilliant. Makes me smile just thinking about everything that was going on there, even with the serious moments (I love Thorin singing the song, then the others joining in. And Bilbo sitting in his bedroom looking so thoughtful.)

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 12 2013, 5:05pm

Post #72 of 72 (168 views)
Shortcut
Favorite funny part! [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved the Warg chase scene with Radagast! The classic "dog chases rabbit" scenario! The music fits right in too. And as far as the CGI stuff, I thought Radagast and the bunny sled was better than the Wargs.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.