Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Frodo

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 8 2013, 10:28pm

Post #1 of 16 (807 views)
Shortcut
Frodo Can't Post

I've only seen this thing once, so I thought it would be good to get others' impression on the following point since I remain undecided about Frodo's inclusion.

It seemed to me (as I've remarked elsewhere) that Frodo looked a little strung out, or tired; what's more is it seemed like Elijah "phoned in" his performance as they say.

What did you think about Frodo in AUJ?

(ETA: I should say that I loved him in LOTR.)

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Jan 8 2013, 10:32pm)

Shagrat
Gondor

Jan 8 2013, 10:31pm

Post #2 of 16 (463 views)
Shortcut
Harsh [In reply to] Can't Post

Given Elijah's obvious love for the project (staying a month longer than necessary) I don't think anyone can accuse him of 'phoning in' his performance. It just didn't demand too much of him.

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 8 2013, 10:41pm

Post #3 of 16 (424 views)
Shortcut
I don't like the use of book-end pieces in film [In reply to] Can't Post

That said, I didn't mind seeing Frodo and Bilbo again in 'Rings' time.

I guess we're going to probably get the other half of the book end at the end of TABA

LordotRings93
Rohan

Jan 8 2013, 10:51pm

Post #4 of 16 (418 views)
Shortcut
Don't think Elijah phoned in [In reply to] Can't Post

He's been enthusiastic about appearing in it since the get-go. He seemed like Frodo to me, and not a watered-down, only doing this for money Frodo.

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

RalphDamiani
Rivendell

Jan 8 2013, 11:12pm

Post #5 of 16 (384 views)
Shortcut
My thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Elijah loved to be a part of it. But he was only eighteen by the time of FotR. Now he's 31. He's looking a little less hobbitish this time around. Slightly thinner, less jovial and perhaps more restrained. It's hard to act your younger self.
He still has a boyish face, but otherwise he looks noticeably more adult than what we were used to.

Mooseboy018
Gondor

Jan 8 2013, 11:23pm

Post #6 of 16 (369 views)
Shortcut
I was surprised by how much I loved the whole thing. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was expecting it to feel forced, and in a way I guess it was... But I felt the connection between Frodo and Bilbo almost better than in the Lord of the Rings. I think both actors gave the entire sequence a great energy that I wasn't really expecting. The age differences and slight changes in the way their wigs look still haven't taken me out of the moment even upon my fourth viewing. It just flows so nicely that any flaws just don't really matter to me.

When Frodo smiled and said "Gandalf", Elijah might as well have been 18 again as far as I was concerned.

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Jan 8 2013, 11:48pm

Post #7 of 16 (359 views)
Shortcut
Wood was fine, but there was no real performance to speak of [In reply to] Can't Post

It did make me feel warm and fuzzy to see Mr Frodo again, but the script gave him almost nothing to do. He simply had to be present, and in that he didn't disappoint. Angelic

sevilodorf
Gondor

Jan 9 2013, 1:20am

Post #8 of 16 (335 views)
Shortcut
It wasn't Frodo that bothered me [In reply to] Can't Post

so mush as the statement that he was going to the East Farthing Woods... that's a pretty far hike.

Also... Bilbo not knowing that the mail brought in was RSVPs to the party. That would not be something he would forget.

I think the given the success of LOTR there needed to be some tie that established The Hobbit into the timing of the movieverse but someone needs to do a better job checking geography.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

Bladerunner
Gondor

Jan 9 2013, 1:39am

Post #9 of 16 (302 views)
Shortcut
Ian Holm [In reply to] Can't Post

Ian Holm's portrayal of Bilbo was less lively than it was in Fellowship of the Ring, for obvious reasons.
Except for the very first moment when he looks into the chest, it was difficult accepting that the scene was supposed to have occurred just before Gandalf's arrival. Also, Bilbo using the term "whizzpoppers" threw me out of the Middle-earth setting. It was one of those handful of terms that seemed out of place (along with "jacksie" and "collared").

Elijah's performance was not too bad.
I just felt the introductory scene was a little long, and the exchanges between Frodo and Bilbo could've been a little crisper than they were.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 9 2013, 8:40am

Post #10 of 16 (231 views)
Shortcut
I enjoyed it [In reply to] Can't Post

Simply for the nostalgia (and the sake of continuity). He's in it for such a small time that it doesn't really impact my view of the film (I don't like the film any more or any less just because he is in it).

It probably should've been an EE scene though. It certainly wasn't necessary.

Fellow

Jan 9 2013, 8:56am

Post #11 of 16 (282 views)
Shortcut
Still bothered by continuity [In reply to] Can't Post

Whats on screen is ok, but to me irrelevant and would have much preferred to begin with "a hole in the ground".

Still bothered by continuity: Comparing the 2 theaticral editions of TH an FOTR, obviously no problems, but comparing to FOTR EE theres a lot that I just can't get to fit. Frodo glances and Bilbo says it's not ready for reading. So obviously he has started the book, and we also see him write down "it began long ago", "the arkenstone" and "in a hole in the ground...". So after seeing Frodo off to meet Gandalf - why should he then go back to the book and say "where to begin..ahh yes..concerning hobbits". (that must be the timing of it since this is what he does when they cut to Frodo under the tree, "where is that boy") No matter how you cut it the extended scnes in FOTR is Bilbo starting the book, isn't it! And also when he says " where is that boy" - he knows, Frodo told him where he went. Of course he could have just forgot (like the party) but still, to me it makes it a little messy. In FOTR Bilbo also seems surpsised by gandalfs arrival - but again they just spoke about it as seen in TH. Ah. Propably reading too much into it, it just bothers me when this stuff wasn't needed. But hey - they could still fix it so the to theatricals and the two EE has logic continuity between them....

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jan 9 2013, 1:04pm

Post #12 of 16 (227 views)
Shortcut
This excellent article addresses this very issue [In reply to] Can't Post

with a possible solution...

http://www.theonering.net/...e-hobbit-part-two/3/

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 9 2013, 8:53pm

Post #13 of 16 (164 views)
Shortcut
Yes I guess that was harsh [In reply to] Can't Post

Like I said, I've only seen the movie once so I'm not convinced it wasn't just me.

And I do apologize for seeming ungrateful. Though Wood was well paid I'm sure, it really was just for the fans that he was included.

The scene raises many questions for me. For one the seems to be some disagreement about some of the artefacts Frodo interacts with from Bilbo's chest, and the swords on the wall in Bilbo's study. But also there is the dialogue itself... why in FOTR does old Bilbo say, "where is that boy?" when Frodo told him (in AUJ) that he was going off to the forest to surprise Gandalf.

Also, my sense of the reunion of Gandalf and Bilbo has always been that Bilbo was a little surprised to see him. However, I note that since Frodo says "you're late" it implies that he was expected to come. Still, it may have been that Frodo had invited him without Bilbo's knowledge... now what does the book say?

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Jan 9 2013, 8:53pm)

elentari3018
Lorien

Jan 10 2013, 3:49am

Post #14 of 16 (136 views)
Shortcut
Love seeing ELijah as Frodo. period. [In reply to] Can't Post

Favorite hobbit, big fan of Elijah so biased when i say that i loved him being there even for that small scene. Loved the whole beginning of the Hobbit. :)

"By Elbereth and Luthien the fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" ~Frodo

"And then Gandalf arose and bid all men rise, and they rose, and he said: 'Here is a last hail ere the feast endeth. Last but not least. For I name now those who shall not be forgotten and without whose valour nought else that was done would have availed; and I name before you all Frodo of the Shire and Samwise his servant. And the bards and the minstrels should give them new names: Bronwe athan Harthad and Harthad Uluithiad , Endurance beyond Hope and Hope Unquenchable.." ~Gandalf, The End of the Third Age , from The History of Middle Earth series

FrogmortonJustice65
Rivendell

Jan 10 2013, 11:59pm

Post #15 of 16 (96 views)
Shortcut
Loved it [In reply to] Can't Post

Thought it was a great little inclusion...loved seeing Wood as Frodo once more, made me very nostalgic for the opening scenes of FOTR.

Wood hardly phoned it in...I imagine it is quite difficult to turn the clock back on 3 movies worth of character development and act like the fresh, innocent pre-quest Frodo.

It was a nice little way of introducing us to Middle Earth again, while having Frodo pass the torch to Bilbo, who will be our new tour-guide of Middle Earth (though perhaps Frodo is handing the torch back to Bilbo...).

I enjoyed it. It had some great banter.

hutch
Rohan

Jan 11 2013, 3:16am

Post #16 of 16 (159 views)
Shortcut
The real test [In reply to] Can't Post

will be when you watch the films back to back...And you're able to see AUJ Frodo and FOTR Frodo (relatively) side by side.

Davy Jones could've been Bilbo...I mean he was a Brit with a sense for adventure, singing & dancing. And think of the costs it would've save with forced perspective: he was ACTUALLY 5'3. He also hung out with a grumpy tall dude in a hat (Mike Nesmith.) While we're at it let's just have Micky Dolenz and Peter Tork as Merry & Pippin.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.