Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Bilbo should have used the ring...

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jan 8 2013, 9:16pm

Post #1 of 18 (732 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo should have used the ring... Can't Post

In the final scene when he attacks the Orc about to behead Thorin, that way he could have killed Azog too before he knew what had hit him...Laugh

Sorry for nitpicking, I suppose Bilbo was so upset that he forgot about the Ring and acted on sheer impulse, but it's just something that PJ overlooked (which is unusual for him: like his ideas or not, he usually comes up with decent explanations for most things he does on screen).

"These are Gundabad Wargs! They will outrun you!"

"THESE are Rhosgobel Rabbits! I'd like to see them try...."

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 8 2013, 9:23pm

Post #2 of 18 (440 views)
Shortcut
He would've been sniffed out, according to Tolkien [In reply to] Can't Post

Even magic rings are not much use against
wolves-especially against the evil packs that lived under the shadow of the goblin-infested mountains, over the Edge of the Wild on the borders of the unknown. Wolves of that sort smell keener than goblins, and do not need to see you to catch you!

Tongue

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jan 8 2013, 9:27pm

Post #3 of 18 (350 views)
Shortcut
Ah OK, I'd overlooked that, thanks DanielLB! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been a year or so now since I read The Hobbit in full (time for my annual re-read, me-thinks!). I didn't think PJ would miss something like this, I'm glad that's clarified.Wink

(This post was edited by Radagast-Aiwendil on Jan 8 2013, 9:28pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 8 2013, 9:29pm

Post #4 of 18 (356 views)
Shortcut
Not over yet! [In reply to] Can't Post

If they are so good at smelling out invisible prey ... why on earth didn't they hear Bilbo approaching in the film? Wink

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Jan 8 2013, 9:30pm)

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jan 8 2013, 9:39pm

Post #5 of 18 (328 views)
Shortcut
I expect some of them saw and heard him charging forward, but [In reply to] Can't Post

I doubt they were exactly concerned about the little fellow, expecting the Orc to make mincemeat of the Hobbit even if said Orc was busy trying to decapitate Thorin. So they let Bilbo make his measly attack, but were subsequently surprised when Bilbo managed to kill the Orc (thanks to its elfish blade, preciousss). Hence they were so shocked that they just stood there in amazement, not believing their own eyes (even Azog).Laugh

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jan 8 2013, 9:47pm

Post #6 of 18 (326 views)
Shortcut
He was trying to keep the Ring a secret at this point, from Gandalf and the Dwarves... [In reply to] Can't Post

A bigger problem is that, when threatened by Gollum, Bilbo could simply have said "I'll give you the Ring back if you show me the way out". Crazy

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jan 8 2013, 10:01pm

Post #7 of 18 (300 views)
Shortcut
Maybe, but [In reply to] Can't Post

When Gollum says "What HAS it got in its pocketses?" he lunges at Bilbo so quickly that Bilbo would have scarcely time to say that before Gollum would have pinned him to the ground. Either way Gollum would have killed him, regardless of whether he took the ring from the hobbit before or after doing so.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 8 2013, 10:03pm

Post #8 of 18 (320 views)
Shortcut
...to fly to the Lonely Mountain? [In reply to] Can't Post

Ooops, sorry, wrong thread. I was thinking of the Eagles :)

" Well well!", said a voice. "Just look! Bilbo the hobbit on a pony, my dear! Isn't it delicious!"
"Most astonishing wonderful!"

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 8 2013, 10:08pm

Post #9 of 18 (286 views)
Shortcut
Except that [In reply to] Can't Post

it's the One Ring, and one cannot easily give it up. It's always "mine, my precious!" in the mind of anyone holding it, and in the case of Smeagol and Boromir, just being near it.

Later on, Bilbo becomes the first person in the whole history of the Ring to give it up willingly, and he needed all Gandalf's influence to help him do it. Sam later becomes the only other person ever to wear it and give it up, a great testament to both his humility and his love for Frodo. At this point in his story, Bilbo has neither help nor motivation to give it away. The Ring abandoned Gollum, and doesn't want to go back. There's no way Bilbo would hand it over (and Gollum would almost certainly have killed him if he had).

Silverlode

dave_lf
Gondor

Jan 8 2013, 10:20pm

Post #10 of 18 (270 views)
Shortcut
Nevertheless [In reply to] Can't Post

if you're being attacked by wargs, are you going to put on your magic ring in the hopes it at least helps a little, or are you going to think "why bother? They'll just smell me anyway."

I prefer to think he was just too busy to think about it. Tongue

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 8 2013, 10:27pm

Post #11 of 18 (271 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, well, the eagles' taxi permits don't allow them to fly over

a. Mirkwood
b. Lonely Mountains
c. Mordor
d. Shire

Exceptions are the 'Good Samaritan' rescue clause.

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 8 2013, 10:44pm

Post #12 of 18 (287 views)
Shortcut
The eagles are the biggest issue for my non-book friends [In reply to] Can't Post

I always get asked why they just don't show up all the time, or why any of this is necessary because eagles. I just reply that it would be a much shorter story. Smile

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 8 2013, 10:47pm

Post #13 of 18 (261 views)
Shortcut
Yup [In reply to] Can't Post

That's my standard answer, or sometimes I say, when was the last time you put out bird food and an eagle showed up on a regular basis?

stoutfiles
Rohan

Jan 9 2013, 1:13am

Post #14 of 18 (207 views)
Shortcut
PJ didn't overlook it [In reply to] Can't Post

He specifically had Bilbo not use the Ring so he could hug it out with Thorin afterwards. Using the Ring wouldn't be as brave, and Thorin needed to clearly see who saved him.

It was silly for him not to use it; in the book he uses it all the time. Looks like the Ring will be used sparingly.

stoutfiles
Rohan

Jan 9 2013, 1:16am

Post #15 of 18 (176 views)
Shortcut
That's really stretching it [In reply to] Can't Post

Amidst all the fire and chaos, the wolves would wander what that smell is and start tracking it down? Even with perfect smell it would still be easier for Bilbo to fight something that can't see his movements, but just has a general idea of his location.

Clearly it made more sense for him to put it on, but that wouldn't have given us the cheery ending at the end. Thorin needed to see Bilbo.

acheron
Gondor

Jan 9 2013, 2:03am

Post #16 of 18 (183 views)
Shortcut
in the LOTR, the eagles are more symbolic [In reply to] Can't Post

The Eagles in LOTR are sort of symbolic of "divine intervention"; because Frodo was able to carry the Ring to the Mountain, he was saved even when he should have died. (And Sam, too.)

In the Hobbit though.. I think the Eagles just didn't want to fly that far. Wink

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 9 2013, 8:36am

Post #17 of 18 (124 views)
Shortcut
And the Dwarves would've found out ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

It's supposed to be secret.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 9 2013, 8:37am

Post #18 of 18 (173 views)
Shortcut
I was (half) joking. [In reply to] Can't Post

Any person in that situation would've put the Ring on. Tolkien came up with an excuse as to why Bilbo didn't. I was only (half) joking. Sly

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.