Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
I think I figured something out. Beorn and Bolg + Torture scene

Ave Moria
Rivendell

Jan 8 2013, 7:35pm

Post #1 of 15 (1118 views)
Shortcut
I think I figured something out. Beorn and Bolg + Torture scene Can't Post

What do we know?

Bolg is the head torturer in Dol Guldur. It says in his official bio.

We know that Persbrandt's first scene is a torture scene which was "Embarrassing"

The only way it could be embaassing is if HE was being tortured and had to show some great physical and emotional vulnerability.

Here is what I think I have pieces together.

1. Opening of DOS is Beorn's history.
2. This history will feature the slaughter of his kind by Orcs, specifically Bolg, who after all wears severed bear paws on his armor.
3. Beorn's opening scene will be his torture and escape from Dol Guldur.
4. This animosity will feed into the final conflict at Bo5a's when Beorn shows up to exact his revenge against his tormentor.

Thoughts?

-In the Darkness, a torch we hold-

Elessar
Valinor

Jan 8 2013, 7:46pm

Post #2 of 15 (546 views)
Shortcut
Sounds plausible to me [In reply to] Can't Post

Would be an intersting way to introduce peopel to the character and help show why he hates Orcs so much.

Aruakar
The Shire

Jan 8 2013, 7:49pm

Post #3 of 15 (534 views)
Shortcut
Fascinating theory... [In reply to] Can't Post

would really like to see that in DoS, but don't think it will happen Unsure
But... PJ & Co. made some significant changes to Azogs story, so everything is possible Wink
(As you may have noticed, I really Heart those smileys Evil)

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
I took the one less traveled by..."
-- Robert Frost --

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 8 2013, 7:49pm

Post #4 of 15 (551 views)
Shortcut
It may well be the case [In reply to] Can't Post

Here is the original thread, including source.

And the quote in question:

When I on the first day is hoisted/lifted up towards the ceiling in the west King Kong studio in Wellington I know what to do. Even if it is embarrassing and difficult to begin with a difficult torture scene. I knew and was even able to suggest things.

Ave Moria
Rivendell

Jan 8 2013, 7:51pm

Post #5 of 15 (492 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the link [In reply to] Can't Post

This is all coming together IMHO

-In the Darkness, a torch we hold-

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Jan 8 2013, 7:55pm

Post #6 of 15 (521 views)
Shortcut
Great idea and I want to go further with it! [In reply to] Can't Post

We would have solved our Azog-Bolg-problem:

Azog is the arch-enemy of Thorin
Bolg is the arch-enemy of Beorn

Azog leads the orcs from mount Gundabad into battle (BOFA) and Bolg perhaps an army from Dol Guldur. Thorin is killed by Azog and Azog is killed by Dain (as in the book although its now at the BOFA). And Beorn kills Bolg (just like in the book). Nearly perfect solution if you ask me.

I just want to go further: Perhaps it is Radagast or Gandalf who saved Beorn from Dol Guldur? That's why he'll help Gandalf and he knows Radagast. Or when Gandalf meets Thrain there... perhaps he frees Beorn during that encounter?

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jan 8 2013, 7:58pm

Post #7 of 15 (495 views)
Shortcut
Coincidentally, I was just reading [In reply to] Can't Post

about that Persbrandt interview on another forum, and a poster on there has provided a much better translation, which gives a slightly different slant:

So you've gotten more confident?
Yeah, in my profession. Although it still happens that I'm like, I don't know how to do this" while on the set, "and they're going to find out now."

However, he wasn't unsure about anything while filming Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit". There he plays Beorn, a shapeshifting character, shifting between a bear and a man.
- When they hoisted me up to the ceiling in some kind of King Kong studio in Wellington, on the very first day on the set, I knew just what to do. Even though it was rather tough to begin everything with a torture scene. I knew what to do and I even went ahead and suggested additional things.
Peter Jackson was impressed by your audition.
- Well, I didn't complicate things at all. It's like imagining how it would feel to lose a child...
...How would I act as a shapeshifter? Living with horses and other animals in the woods? I just sort of went into myself and gave it an honest shot. In "The Hobbit", I'm acting as I would act in any love drama. Not very much of a Gunvald there.*

There's been an awful lot of waiting in between the filming sessions for "The Hobbit".
- Yeah, and I even had the time to buy a MTB to go biking in the New Zealand mountains in between filmings.

Link to original translation by Moosefoot here

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jan 10 2013, 4:31pm)

Vangalad
Lorien

Jan 8 2013, 8:18pm

Post #8 of 15 (480 views)
Shortcut
Yes, but [In reply to] Can't Post

reading empire's article, I get that Beorn seems to be the one who is torturing an Orc for information...
It wouldn't surprise me though if some of the article's 'snippets' come from the author's imagination.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost,
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Shagrat
Gondor

Jan 8 2013, 8:33pm

Post #9 of 15 (427 views)
Shortcut
Excellent idea... [In reply to] Can't Post

At the very least there might be flashbacks when Beorn is interrogating an Orc, explaining his hatred for them.

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jan 8 2013, 8:37pm

Post #10 of 15 (425 views)
Shortcut
I just suggested part of the idea on the thread below, inspired by the original thread [In reply to] Can't Post

Given Bolg's description this idea seems very plausible to me. How they [PJ & Co] choose to handle it however will either make or spoil it-so far I'm not convinced on how effective it will be: given that the character is so mighty in the books I think this scene would detract from his image of unstoppable angry tough guy, unless he made up for it in an extremely dramatic and violent fashion later on (and yes, killing Bolg and getting revenge would be a nice contrast to the Thorin/Azog rivalry).

"These are Gundabad Wargs! They will outrun you!"

"THESE are Rhosgobel Rabbits! I'd like to see them try...."

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 8 2013, 10:20pm

Post #11 of 15 (317 views)
Shortcut
That would be very interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

Very plausible. It would add to his backstory a lot, and would tie-in the Dol-Guldur angle more closely.

In fact, Gandalf might even learn from Beorn something of what's going on at Dol-Guldur, and that would hasten his departure from the company as he heads off to investigate.

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Jan 8 2013, 10:50pm

Post #12 of 15 (292 views)
Shortcut
gelf [In reply to] Can't Post

bolg just reminds me of the gelfs from red dwarf whenever i see him. gotta get that out of my head.

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

StoneHex104
Rivendell

Jan 9 2013, 12:10am

Post #13 of 15 (245 views)
Shortcut
Not bad, not bad at all :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Bladerunner
Gondor

Jan 9 2013, 1:20am

Post #14 of 15 (221 views)
Shortcut
Flashbacks. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm hoping that the next two films don't begin with flashbacks, and instead pick up the main story immediately where the previous film ends.

The (unexpected) journey needs to maintain its forward momentum since there is lots of ground yet to cover.

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Jan 9 2013, 12:59pm

Post #15 of 15 (203 views)
Shortcut
L O V E it! Genius!! Brilliant! [In reply to] Can't Post

You've made me feel SO much more pleased about Bolg's part in this now! Soooo much more pleased!! CoolSmileHeart

My only concern after all of this is.... that the film trilogy is in HUGE danger of promoting revenge as a good principle.. ... ... think about it, so many characters and groups seeking revenge.
I really hope in TABA that PJ makes revenge look -dismal-. The death of Thorin of course will be part of this... but still. It's not like in LOTR where the ultimate result is evil being defeated for the good of the fate of the whole world.... .... in this case it's personal vendettas leading the day Unsure

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.