Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Extended editions and frame rate

Klute

Jan 7 2013, 7:30pm

Post #1 of 15 (726 views)
Shortcut
Extended editions and frame rate Can't Post

Hi all first post..long time lurker forgive me if it's a question already asked is there any suggestion that the 3 hobbit film's will get extended editions on Blu-Ray/DvD?

And is there a plan to have the slower fps as an option on the above formats???

ghost_matt
Rivendell

Jan 7 2013, 10:56pm

Post #2 of 15 (373 views)
Shortcut
Extended editions have already been confirmed [In reply to] Can't Post

And until they make TVs/blu ray players that are capable of 48fps, the dvds/blu rays will ONLY be available in 24fps.

Chainsaw Charlie
Bree

Jan 7 2013, 11:00pm

Post #3 of 15 (352 views)
Shortcut
Film is 24, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And until they make TVs/blu ray players that are capable of 48fps, the dvds/blu rays will ONLY be available in 24fps.

...digital files/DVDs are 30 FPS (aren't they?)?

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 7 2013, 11:33pm

Post #4 of 15 (277 views)
Shortcut
I think you're right [In reply to] Can't Post

Several articles I read about 48 fps discussed how high def tv was similar in look, and that the HFR was a natural progression with where we were headed with tv.

KieranDhesi
Bree

Jan 7 2013, 11:34pm

Post #5 of 15 (280 views)
Shortcut
I've tested it [In reply to] Can't Post

On all my computers, my phone, projector, blue ray player and TV. All of them allow 60fps to be show, although the problem lies in putting the 48 on the actual blue ray disc.

I think :P

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jan 7 2013, 11:58pm

Post #6 of 15 (292 views)
Shortcut
TVs, dvd and blu-ray players do this thing called [In reply to] Can't Post

2:3 pulldown, which converts 24fps to 30fps.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 8 2013, 12:04am

Post #7 of 15 (259 views)
Shortcut
Does this involve speeding up the movie?// [In reply to] Can't Post

Chainsaw Charlie
Bree

Jan 8 2013, 12:07am

Post #8 of 15 (230 views)
Shortcut
Guessing... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
2:3 pulldown, which converts 24fps to 30fps.

But in the case of the 48 HFR, it will be the other way, converting from 48 to 30 FPS, right?

(This post was edited by Chainsaw Charlie on Jan 8 2013, 12:08am)

Chainsaw Charlie
Bree

Jan 8 2013, 12:11am

Post #9 of 15 (245 views)
Shortcut
Re: Does this involve speeding up the movie? [In reply to] Can't Post

The action and everything will still move at the same speed and in the same time your eyeballs and brain work (eg. the duration of the film will be precisely the same); on the technical side, it means adding/duplicating some frames in a 24-to-30 FPS file conversion, or eliminating frames in a HFR 48-to-30 FPS reduction (which can be done easily enough in a computer).

(This post was edited by Chainsaw Charlie on Jan 8 2013, 12:12am)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Jan 8 2013, 12:12am

Post #10 of 15 (225 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure the Blu-ray and DVD will use the 24fps version.// [In reply to] Can't Post

//

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 8 2013, 12:19am

Post #11 of 15 (212 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

For the explanation. I could understand how to move from 48 to 24 (delete every other frame, play at half the speed...) but was having trouble wrapping my mind around conversions that are not multiples.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jan 8 2013, 12:21am

Post #12 of 15 (218 views)
Shortcut
No, it's basically adding frames [In reply to] Can't Post

to make up the difference, but it's a complicated process, and i don't quite understand it fully myself. If you type in 2:3 pulldown into google or wikipedia, you'll get a pretty good explanation though.

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Jan 8 2013, 12:23am)

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 8 2013, 1:08am

Post #13 of 15 (197 views)
Shortcut
Yup! [In reply to] Can't Post

I found the picture at this Wikipedia article enlightening. It's not just adding frames, it's combining adjacent ones...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-two_pull_down

sycorax82
Rohan

Jan 8 2013, 5:17am

Post #14 of 15 (171 views)
Shortcut
True 48fps would require an update for the Blu-ray player [In reply to] Can't Post

Both my TV and Blu-ray player go into 24p mode when I'm playing a movie. This gives playback of 24fps, exactly the way the film was meant to be seen. They will have to add a 48p mode if they want true 48fps playback, but I doubt that will happen...

dennis.p
The Shire

Jan 8 2013, 6:08am

Post #15 of 15 (214 views)
Shortcut
A cinema only format for now - [In reply to] Can't Post

With the current technology in home cinema, it can't be done. Which is to say they won't do it. Expect new players and tv's and a new Blu-ray standard before 48fps is available to home cinema.

Regarding the 2:3 pulldown - well if you care about projection and proper viewing the your equipment should do it at 24 fps and the multiply it to 96 hz. but thats a whole other debate - most decent flatscreens and projectors show blu-ray movies in 24fps.

Another thing to consider is that PJ wanted the 48fps for several reasons but one of them was to have something that was exclusive to Cinema and to lure people back to the Cinema. Right now TV companies seem more interested in thinner "smarter" and 4K tv so i doubt 48 fps is on the horizon - perhaps in 2-4 years time.

Right now a 3D movie like Avatar is maxing out the the blu-ray format so it would require and new standard supporting 2-4 times as much data since thats what we're talking about with 48 fps 3D since it's 48 frames per second pr eye. at least if we want it the way it was filmed.

For now i'm content with seeing it in 48 fps in the cinema and enjoying the clarity of blu-ray in 24 fps when that arrives.
And yes the EE is confirmed, PJ said in a video interview that AUJ will be 25 minutes longer and he has already cut it!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.