Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies did you watch this weekend?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jan 8 2013, 5:29am

Post #26 of 41 (109 views)
Shortcut
DJANGO UNCHAINED and LINCOLN. [In reply to] Can't Post

Two films about slavery. Both could be shorter. Django Unchained has a few scenes of extraordinary tension but the violence is numbing after a while. Lincoln is untidy but fascinating, and Daniel Day-Lewis is absolutely amazing in the title role.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Tintallė
Gondor

Jan 8 2013, 6:06am

Post #27 of 41 (136 views)
Shortcut
Anna Karenina (spoiler), Amistad, AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not quite sure how I feel about this latest version of Anna Karenina. The stage is used to convey a message (maybe more than one) but I found it quite distracting and annoying as the movie progressed. The costumes were magnificent. I just wasn't engaged after the first 20 minutes, possibly because that's when Anna and Vronsky were dancing together and everyone else in the room disappeared. It ripped me out of the movie and sent me back to Pride and Prejudice; it positively screamed Joe Wright (until that moment I did not know who directed) and it certainly didn't help that both stars from that movie (Keira Knightley and Matthew MacFadyen) were in this one. I think another reviewer summed up my feelings pretty well: ". . . after awhile, as far as I was concerned, that train couldn't come fast enough."

That same review is actually pretty descriptive of my own feelings, so here it is: http://blogs.commercialappeal.com/...r-train-in-vain.html

Also, someone noted that Vronsky looks like Gene Wilder in Young Frankenstein but with enough hair product to tame the unruly curls. It's true!

I saw Amistad for the second time and liked it just as much as the first. It's hard to watch and even harder to contemplate, but it's quite well done, I think, and a story to be remembered. The only part I don't like is Matthew McConaughey, who seems to me to be pretty much the same in every role. I can't help wondering how Gary Oldman would have played it.

AUJ was my 4th viewing. Each seems shorter than the last, and more delightful. I saw a lot of the geeky things others have pointed out - Thror's ring, Peter's cameo, some dwarf hood colors, the smashed ear trumpet, etc. I can't wait to go back. And I love the HFR 3D. Awesome. And I LOVE Thorin, although I'm pretty sure that will change in the next movies.

On a personal note, I just can't stop myself from feeling a bit irritated that the eagles didn't carry them all the way to the Lonely Mountain!

Hamfast
Rohan

Jan 8 2013, 3:06pm

Post #28 of 41 (97 views)
Shortcut
Battle Royale [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't seen The Hunger Games movie or read the book, but apparently this Japanese movie is where the inspiration came from. Japanese youth are not treating adults with respect, so the government picks one high school class at random to be placed on an island with nothing other than a duffle bag full of random gear. You are fitted with a collar that has gps, and you have three days to stay alive....only one winner will survive....it's a fight to the death ! ( or a Battle Royale if you will...)

Blood and violence take the lead in the film, but it is actually quite compelling and entertaining to see who can survive.

Now I feel I must watch The Hunger Games for comparison Wink

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 8 2013, 5:40pm

Post #29 of 41 (77 views)
Shortcut
Readers make the comparison between Battle Royale and The Hunger Games, [In reply to] Can't Post

but Suzanne Collins says her idea came from when she was watching TV and flicking between news stories of war and of children starving.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Patty
Immortal

Jan 8 2013, 6:34pm

Post #30 of 41 (79 views)
Shortcut
I've seen all of season 3 of Downton, as well as the "Christmas special"... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have no words. Just...no words. If you haven't seen the spoilers all over the internet you won't hear them from me.

My Cousin Rachel. I just listened to the unabridged audiobook of this, read by Jonathon Pryce, and loved it, so I had to watch the Richard Burton movie. So very much is lost in adaptation, because the young man's thoughts are not voiced enough. But it was true to that du Maurier trick of leaving you guessing if she was guilty or innocent.

Mostly I've been playing Spider solitaire and greedy spiders. No time for movies.

Permanent address: Into the West

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jan 8 2013, 6:48pm

Post #31 of 41 (75 views)
Shortcut
There you are, Patty! [In reply to] Can't Post

Have you not been here much recently or have we just missed each other on the boards? Either way, I was looking forward to hearing your opinion of Downton Abbey Season 3---having forgotten you usually order the DVD ahead of time.

I've seen a couple of major spoilers, yes. But then, I always look for spoilers. Otherwise I'm too strongly affected when bad things happen to good characters Unsure I still remember being devastated after the (totally unjustified, IMHO) ending of Blake's Seven Shocked

Patty
Immortal

Jan 8 2013, 6:56pm

Post #32 of 41 (71 views)
Shortcut
I've kinda been missing... [In reply to] Can't Post

my enthusiasm for The Hobbit never was as great as it was for LotR, so I've kinda been doing other things. I'll talk Downton in a pm, because I have much to say, but I can't spoil stuff for the masses.Wink Otherwise, I'll wait till you folks see the Christmas special on the 17th of Feb.

One thing I've been doing a lot of is going off into app land on the Ipad. I think I've got over 70 apps on the darned thing!

Permanent address: Into the West

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 8 2013, 10:39pm

Post #33 of 41 (66 views)
Shortcut
Let's see... [In reply to] Can't Post

Lincoln: If you want to know something about a person's life, you need to look at their actions, and what those actions created. This is the way Steven Spielberg has chosen to educate and inform us about probably one of the most iconic figures in US History, or world history for that matter. The study of his final months in office, and the political battle to pass the 13th Amendment abolishing slavery is a brilliant take that give real perspective to history, and here, Spielberg lets the words and actions tell the story. Tony Kushner's play-like script toes the fine line between education and realism in almost perfect ways. Spielberg's restrained direction keep the overall themes in play throughout the long scenes in rooms and Congress. It's a long film, but it draws you in, because it's successful at playing on these themes of fairness, equality, and justice under the law.

Les Miserables: It doesn't have the impact of a live show, but it has some interesting innovation of having the actors sing to the camera work rather than dubbed in later. If you liked the musical, or musicals in general, you will probably be entertained.

Downton Abbey: Here in the US we don't get season 3 until now, so we had a small party for the premiere of Season 3. All I can say is, it's one of the best things I've seen in a long time on TV.

oh yeah, I saw some weird film about furry-footed people and dwarves and wizards, it was ok, too ;)

Oiotįri
Tol Eressea

Jan 9 2013, 5:29pm

Post #34 of 41 (51 views)
Shortcut
The profs did ask yesterday [In reply to] Can't Post

(it's a dual taught religion/english class)
what other movies and books we thought would fit into the class. Unfortunately I don't think it was so that they could add our suggestions. Tongue

..The land of long-forgotten name:
......no man may ever anchor near;
..No steering star his hope may aim,
......for nether Night its marches drear,
..And waters wide no sail may tame,
......with shores encircled dark and sheer.

..O! Haven where my heart would be!
......the waves beat upon thy bar
..For ever echo endlessly,
......when longing leads thy thought afar

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 9 2013, 5:47pm

Post #35 of 41 (48 views)
Shortcut
I ordered from the Amazon River [In reply to] Can't Post

(the jungle of discount) both 'Stand By Me' that i liked way back when (that i'd like my son to experience) and also TH grand score addition...free shipping is good.

imin
Valinor

Jan 9 2013, 10:57pm

Post #36 of 41 (54 views)
Shortcut
Zero dark thirty [In reply to] Can't Post

I was expecting big things from this movie - it didnt live up to them.

I had previously seen a dramatisation on TV over what had happened in the run up to finding finding his house in pakistan along with the actual attack on the home.

This film i felt was just a higher budgeted version of that.

Because it didnt have any twists or turns i felt i had seen it all before and was waiting for them to take the house.

How it has won film of the year i have no idea, for me it wasnt even better than season 1 of Homeland, which was better written and acted.

There are some scenes to begin with which could be too strong for a lot of people - especially on here but i have seen stuff like that before and i am kinda used to it now - which is more shocking than being horrified and sickened by it really.

It wasn't bad it just wasn't anything special either - i honestly think it is winning awards simply down to what its about and people feel they have to award it rather than it being an outstanding film.

5/10

sevilodorf
Gondor

Jan 12 2013, 6:15pm

Post #37 of 41 (36 views)
Shortcut
Do you believe Django deserved Oscar nomination?// [In reply to] Can't Post

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jan 13 2013, 5:11pm

Post #38 of 41 (38 views)
Shortcut
No. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a mess.

batik
Tol Eressea

Jan 13 2013, 6:30pm

Post #39 of 41 (27 views)
Shortcut
series, no movies... [In reply to] Can't Post

Once Upon a Time (ABC) has returned from its winter break. I started watching this series during Season 2 but was able to play catch up via Netflix. OUaT is a fairly easy going show that appeals to me in some sentimental way by bringing back many of those fairy tale characters and adding a new spin to them. For any LOST fans, there is the added attraction of several of LOST cast members being regulars or guest stars on OUaT.
Justified (FX). Another one that I started watching...late... and was able to catch up with via Netflix. I find quite a bit of the dialogue to be quite brilliant! The main characters are still interesting after 3 (or 4?) seasons and I attribute that to their being neither all "good" nor all "evil".

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 13 2013, 10:35pm

Post #40 of 41 (42 views)
Shortcut
And neither does Lincoln. [In reply to] Can't Post

Daniel Day-Lewis and Sally Field are marvelous in their roles, but the movie itself is just a notch above a PBS special (and when one's hubby is a Civil War buff, one has seen plenty of movies and shows relating to that time period).

We do want to rent it later, so we can watch it with the closed-captioning, and pick up on all the words we couldn't make out!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jan 14 2013, 2:56am

Post #41 of 41 (95 views)
Shortcut
Well, I've seen few 2012 films that are better. [In reply to] Can't Post

Lincoln is miles above The Hobbit, for instance, and easily would make my top nine (i.e., be Oscar-worthy) at the moment, but I've seen precious few 2012 films.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.