Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
A movie about the dunedains and angmar?

Victariongreyjoy
Bree

Jan 7 2013, 1:49pm

Post #1 of 8 (249 views)
Shortcut
A movie about the dunedains and angmar? Can't Post

Could that be possible and would it fit in one movie or a trilogy? If a movie of that would be made, would be at least epical like LOTR?

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jan 7 2013, 6:25pm

Post #2 of 8 (105 views)
Shortcut
It might work I suppose... [In reply to] Can't Post

One could probably get at least two films out of it; one showing the fracturing of Arnor, with a lot of political intrigue as Arthedain, Rhuadar and Cardolan are divided by some shadowy, unknown force...and a second film where the realm of Angmar/the Witch-King are revealed and there's all out war. Earnur and Glorfindel could be major characters as well, allowing us to include Gondor and the Elves of Rivendell at the time.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Jan 7 2013, 8:25pm

Post #3 of 8 (109 views)
Shortcut
Possibly but I doubt it [In reply to] Can't Post

You probably could make a movie about the fall of Arnor but would audiences (other than the hard core Tolkien fans) care? There wouldn't be enough characters people recognize or a strong enough connection to the other films. In the Lord of the Rings movies, the only reference to Arnor is a line from Aragorn in the Extended Edition about how "the North Kingdom fell long ago." Movie audiences don't know the history. As far as they know, Aragorn was simply a distant relation of the King of Gondor raised far away in another land. There were some mentions of the fall of Angmar in the Hobbit movie but again, is it enough to build recognition for a movie-only audience?

Felagund
Lorien

Jan 8 2013, 12:14am

Post #4 of 8 (112 views)
Shortcut
interesting - some thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

It could work, not least because the studio has the rights to the main source material - the Appendices to LotR. One of the difficulties would be in constructing a narrative compelling and cogent enough for a screenplay. It takes Angmar 474 years to completely destroy the Dúnedain kingdoms of the North, so in order to avoid a film almost entirely made up of flashbacks, you'd have to compress things a bit. One suggestion would be to set most of the 'present' near to the tragic end of Arthedain - the war going badly, Arvedui's last ditch efforts to hold out, and his awful run of luck with timing - Glorfindel and Eärnur turning up too late, and the disaster in the Icebay of Forochel, which was also down to bad timing.

Nice opportunities to depict Glorfindel and Círdan in action, Gondor's military might, the fate of the Northern palantíri, Malbeth's prophecy and the first Chieftain of the Dúnedain, the prophecy of how the Witch-king perishes, a foreshadowing of the cost of Eärnur's pride (his humiliation before the Witch-king and his foolish decision to travel to Minas Morgul, thus ending of the line of Kings in Gondor), the arrival of the Barrow-wights in Tyrn Gorthad, hobbit archers heading off to aid Arvedui... the list goes on!

A nice tie-in to Aragorn is that the rise of Angmar effectively brings about the end of two separate kingdoms - Arthedain / Arnor (directly) and Gondor (indirectly) - which Aragorn then reunites. The Witch-king militarily obliterates Arthedain, and then, due to their stand-off outside Fornost, indirectly sets up Eärnur's ill-fated duel with the Witch-king at Minas Morgul. Both kingly lines descended from Elendil are therefore either driven into the shadows or killed off entirely by one nasty protagonist.

Welcome to the Mordorfone network, where we put the 'hai' back into Uruk

Ajent

Jan 8 2013, 4:24am

Post #5 of 8 (84 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps. [In reply to] Can't Post

With as long as each trilogy has taken Jackson, do you think its realistic that he'd make another Tolkien movie? Serious question. Although, no one said he is the only director from now on that can make Tolkien-inspired movies. I guess I just assumed that no one would do it as well. Heh.

Also, it would totally get my vote.

...drowning in the ocean puts the air back in my lungs...

(This post was edited by Ajent on Jan 8 2013, 4:25am)

Victariongreyjoy
Bree

Jan 8 2013, 6:28am

Post #6 of 8 (88 views)
Shortcut
Would be awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

I' d rather they make a movies about Angmar and the remnants of the dunedains than The Hobbit! After I've wacthed the hobbit, I felt the movie was more childish than LOTR. It wasn't enoug serious tone in the movie. I've had too much expectationsto the hobbit to be like LOTRUnimpressed

Escapist
Gondor

Jan 8 2013, 1:42pm

Post #7 of 8 (60 views)
Shortcut
I think this would be easier to pull of than a movie Silmarillion [In reply to] Can't Post

but it would still require a significant amount of creative story-telling to fill in dialogue etc.

Anyway, I think the audience would be likely to receive something like this pretty well (if done well).

Since so much of it needs to be generated by the production team, I could see it fitting in 1 or 3 films.

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 8 2013, 4:41pm

Post #8 of 8 (93 views)
Shortcut
I don't see it happening [In reply to] Can't Post

Without the rights to some other Tolkien material. (Unfinished Tales) However, it's certainly an idea that could be interesting to write a script for. Very challenging.

Actually, the period where Gondor first meets the Rohirrim in the time of Eorl the Young would make for quite a glorious miniseries. What you're describing might be done the same way, a la Game of Thrones.

This is the world we live in, multi-page contracts for burglars is just one small example...:)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.