Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
So who is the definitive hobbit?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Avanti

Jan 9 2013, 8:46pm

Post #26 of 29 (100 views)
Shortcut
sméagol [In reply to] Can't Post

Angelic

sméagol

must be

the ultimate hobbit

lived

like a hermit

walked

the dark woods

ate everything

the ultimate survivor

and never alone

rakshi

Jan 9 2013, 11:12pm

Post #27 of 29 (106 views)
Shortcut
flat, huh? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've heard the 'quite flat' criticism before and to me it indicates an unperceptive viewer rather than an unexpressive actor.

If you'd like to see expressions, kindly follow this link:

http://www.frodolivesin.us/oneexpression/

The definitive Hobbit? You'll have to read the book to find him. It is Frodo Baggins, as written by Tolkien, not as gutted by Jackson.

elentari3018
Lorien

Jan 10 2013, 3:19am

Post #28 of 29 (75 views)
Shortcut
They're in different roles so you cannot compare... [In reply to] Can't Post

Elijah Wood did a phenomenal job in portraying a conflicted and someone who is possessed and burdened with the Ring of power. I think it's not a fair comparison because they're on different journeys and while Freeman is portraying a more carefree hobbit in Bilbo who has a lot to fear but not as burdened as Frodo to succeed. I think they're both hobbity and yes, Freeman gives more expressions but it's because of what they have to portray and their characters are so different so it's unfair to compare.

"By Elbereth and Luthien the fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" ~Frodo

"And then Gandalf arose and bid all men rise, and they rose, and he said: 'Here is a last hail ere the feast endeth. Last but not least. For I name now those who shall not be forgotten and without whose valour nought else that was done would have availed; and I name before you all Frodo of the Shire and Samwise his servant. And the bards and the minstrels should give them new names: Bronwe athan Harthad and Harthad Uluithiad , Endurance beyond Hope and Hope Unquenchable.." ~Gandalf, The End of the Third Age , from The History of Middle Earth series

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 10 2013, 11:25am

Post #29 of 29 (123 views)
Shortcut
There's not just one for me :) [In reply to] Can't Post

All of the hobbit in LotR are definitive, imho... because they were the hobbits that brought the story to life on film for and matched my own images of Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin and Bilbo for over 40 years of reading. Martin Freeman's Bilbo has definitively won my heart and image of The Hobbit's Bilbo... which is delightful!

There are other definitive hobbits, though... our muffin chewer in LotR, ear-digger, barrel laugher, pumpkin polisher, gaffer, barrel carrier... Jackson's team just rocks in their population of hobbits.

But in the BBC radio adaptation of the film, Sam (Bill Nighy) is exemplary. He enchants me every time I listen to it.

gramma's The Hobbit: Unexpected Journey Line Party Report & Review
and first draught of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.