Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Yummies from my garden in winter!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Jan 8 2013, 12:14am

Post #26 of 39 (75 views)
Shortcut
What's oxalis, Precious? Is it munchable? Compostable? Execrable? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 8 2013, 12:22am

Post #27 of 39 (69 views)
Shortcut
Growing liver in the backyard [In reply to] Can't Post

Now that's an *interesting* visual image. Crazy

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 8 2013, 12:32am

Post #28 of 39 (68 views)
Shortcut
It makes us miserable, precious, miserable! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's those nasty little bulbses that make it grow, and grow, and grow...

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Jan 8 2013, 12:40am

Post #29 of 39 (66 views)
Shortcut
Oh my! I can almost smell all that fruit! [In reply to] Can't Post

You must garden on a huge scale! I'm very jealous.Smile You should post some pictures for us. It sounds like heaven.

I'd love to do more, but blackberries, raspberries and cherries are enough fruit-management for me!

Do you make rhubarb pie? I could eat that every day. And are artichokes hard to grow? And I'm wondering what feijoas are?

I'd love a bigger garden, but we keep having bug and/or fungus problems, so I've got my hands full with a little strip by the garage for veggies, and flowers mostly out front by the drive.

Anybody have any ideas for keeping bugs from eating holes in my turnips (leaves and roots!) and fungus off the potatoes and tomatoes without poisoning everything?ShockedFrown I've tried stuff that is supposed to be "natural" but it still smells like poison to me.

Anyway, all I'm growing now is fluffy white stuff. (Don't tell anyone--I still love snow, like a big kid!Blush)

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 8 2013, 12:45am

Post #30 of 39 (80 views)
Shortcut
Feijoas [In reply to] Can't Post

are nasty, stinky little fruitses. Keep away from them I say. Evil

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Jan 8 2013, 12:49am

Post #31 of 39 (73 views)
Shortcut
I still have your beautiful garden picture [In reply to] Can't Post

on my desktop; and I click to enlarge it whenever I need a lift!

I can imagine you didn't feel much like it last year. I'm glad you're able to bring it back.

What shrubs do you use that don't need much water? I wonder if I could get some of them to grow here in the "frozen north"? We have all sand here, so although it's certainly "well-drained" it's hard to keep things watered enough.

We always have lots of Bumbles.Smile One of them likes to dive bomb me in the early summer when I try to gte out of my car. I wonder if they livemor ethan one year? It (or its progeny) has certainly done the same thing for years! We actually ahd a few honey bees this year, whereas they haven't been around much prior years. I know they are threatened world wide and it does make me worry.

The N. Eastern Native Americans relied on wasps to fertilize their crops, and although it worked, I understand the yields increased quite a bit when the English honeybee was imported. We do have odd little honeybee-sized ground bees, and I think they help the gardens some, but they are slow and almost "languid," so I'm not sure how much they do.

Oddly, we also have tiny little bees the size of about 4 gnats put together. They look exactly like honey bees, but very tiny, and they buzz all around my plants. Does anyone here know what they could be(e)?Smile

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Jan 8 2013, 12:59am

Post #32 of 39 (66 views)
Shortcut
Mmmmm. I have seen them, but [In reply to] Can't Post

never got to taste them. Do you have the recipe? I have a couple of rose bushes with that "old fashioned" rose-y fragrance, and I'd love to try that.Smile

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 8 2013, 1:02am

Post #33 of 39 (65 views)
Shortcut
Artichokes [In reply to] Can't Post

are remarkably easy to grow! Just stick in a plant and stand back. And a plant keeps bearing for years.

We do have quite a bit of ground, so are lucky enough to have room for quite an orchard. I've just come indoors from scoffing apricots.:) It's the best season we've had in years - the early summer was cooler and drier than usual, so we haven't been plagued by fungal diseases.

I think I should make rhubarb pie - good idea! This is the first year the rhubarb has done well enough to bother.

Feijoas are a South American fruit that, as you might guess from Starling's remark,have a love-it-or-hate-it flavour. :) Fortunately I'm in the "love it" group.

Here's an orchard photo from a few years ago. The trees are bigger now.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 8 2013, 1:19am

Post #34 of 39 (72 views)
Shortcut
Years ago [In reply to] Can't Post

a neighbour's feijoa plant grew through our fence and produced big crops for us. I really don't like feijoas - even the smell is off-putting - so I filled a supermarket bag and brought them into work for a colleague. She promptly put the bag on her desk and proceded to eat her way through them throughout the day.

She was happy, but I felt a bit ill watching her.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 8 2013, 1:40am

Post #35 of 39 (63 views)
Shortcut
The whole bag? In one day? [In reply to] Can't Post

Now that would definitely be too much of a good thing for me. :) I do like them, but one or two is plenty.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 8 2013, 1:54am

Post #36 of 39 (84 views)
Shortcut
She got through about two-thirds of the bag by knock-off time. [In reply to] Can't Post

Talk about ODing on fruit.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 8 2013, 2:33am

Post #37 of 39 (92 views)
Shortcut
*Gags* // [In reply to] Can't Post

alienorchid
Lorien

Jan 8 2013, 5:30am

Post #38 of 39 (71 views)
Shortcut
If your roses are pesticide free [In reply to] Can't Post

then I'm pretty sure any variety can be used. If pesticides are used then they are not for eating!

-Take the petals from the rose, and rinse them gently, sit them on paper towels to dry them.
- Pinch or cut out the paler/white part, where the petal attaches to the flower. That part can be quite bitter.
-Whisk up some egg whites, and with a paint brush, brush each petal on both sides with a thin layer of the whites.
-Dip them in caster sugar. You might need to shake gently to get the excess sugar off, but once they are dry the excess will just fall off.
-Sit them on some waxed paper, with another layer of waxed paper on top.
-Leave them in a warm, dry environment. They are ready when they are dry and crisp! Yum!

That's all from memory, so you might want to double check by googling a recipe, but I'm pretty sure that's how to do it, and it's no more complicated than that :)

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Jan 9 2013, 11:46pm

Post #39 of 39 (84 views)
Shortcut
Yummmmm. Thank you! :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.