Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Saw it again, in 2D
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jan 6 2013, 3:59am

Post #26 of 44 (219 views)
Shortcut
Ahhh... misunderstood the question [In reply to] Can't Post

as one about whether we can see The Hobbit in 2D HFR

Apologies. Smile

..The land of long-forgotten name:
......no man may ever anchor near;
..No steering star his hope may aim,
......for nether Night its marches drear,
..And waters wide no sail may tame,
......with shores encircled dark and sheer.

..O! Haven where my heart would be!
......the waves beat upon thy bar
..For ever echo endlessly,
......when longing leads thy thought afar

Vaire
The Shire

Jan 6 2013, 4:03am

Post #27 of 44 (218 views)
Shortcut
I wish they would [In reply to] Can't Post

I can definitely see the advantage of HFR, especially in scenes with fast movement. You can see every detail. I just wish it wasn't tied to 3D. I wear prescription glasses, and having to wear chunky plastic 3D frames over the top is annoying as hell.

If the studio insists on combining HFR with 3D next time, I may have to try dismantling a pair of 3D glasses and taping the lenses over my normal frames. I'd be curious to know if anyone has tried this.

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 6 2013, 4:17am

Post #28 of 44 (211 views)
Shortcut
That is the one format I haven't seen, IMAX [In reply to] Can't Post

It's playing here, but the last IMAX I saw, MI: Ghost Protocol, had the sound so juiced I almost went deaf. I wasn't the only one who felt that, either. So I avoided it here so far, even though the cool kids went to it on opening night for the line party. Laugh

Now, when the inevitable Trilogy Tuesday arrives, with AUJ and DoS in EE followed by the premiere of TABA at midnight, I might have to throw caution (and my hearing) to the winds and go.

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jan 6 2013, 4:22am

Post #29 of 44 (217 views)
Shortcut
So the IMAX you saw it in [In reply to] Can't Post

was a really really big screen, as opposed to the "real" IMAX which wraps around you?

I haven't seen an IMAX movie in maybe 10 years, and that was some sort of science museum movie with the whole wrap around screen, so I'm not actually sure what's up with IMAX these days.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Jan 6 2013, 4:27am

Post #30 of 44 (215 views)
Shortcut
It's basically a very large digital screen... [In reply to] Can't Post

That is quite massive compared to a normal sized screen, but nowhere near as colossal as the true IMAX specialty theaters.

But the sound is absolutely insane. Cool

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

ghost_matt
Rivendell

Jan 6 2013, 4:38am

Post #31 of 44 (211 views)
Shortcut
I've only seen it twice so far... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Once in 24fps 3D and again in HFR. I liked them both, but HFR is better. Unfortunately there are only 3 theaters in the entire state that are equipped with HFR, so it's a 45 minute drive to the closest one, and as of a week or so ago they're no longer showing it on the really big Ultrascreen, which really added to the experience.

I saw each of the LOTR movies 5 or 6 times in the theater, but I'll probably only get to see this maybe once more before it leaves theaters. With kids now and bills, it makes it harder.

But I absolutely LOVE the movie. As for ranking it, I like it better than The Two Towers but maybe not as much as Fellowship or Return of the King. And the LOTR movies are my favorite movies ever, so I guess this is my third favorite movie.

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jan 6 2013, 4:39am

Post #32 of 44 (196 views)
Shortcut
Is the digital [In reply to] Can't Post

(as opposed to projector) simply necessary given the massive size, or is it to increase image quality?

ghost_matt
Rivendell

Jan 6 2013, 4:40am

Post #33 of 44 (192 views)
Shortcut
Oh and I've never seen a movie in "real" IMAX.... [In reply to] Can't Post

We made the drive out to Milwaukee to see Avatar in what was supposed to be IMAX, but it was just a really big screen. I've only seen documentaries on IMAX at the museum. I've always wanted to see a real movie on it.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Jan 6 2013, 4:43am

Post #34 of 44 (197 views)
Shortcut
Unsure... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think all of these IMAX-Lite screens are digital. Just cheaper than 70mm film projectors, I suppose.

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Jan 6 2013, 4:48am)

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jan 6 2013, 5:01am

Post #35 of 44 (193 views)
Shortcut
Doing a little of "research" [In reply to] Can't Post

(aka poking around wikipedia)
I found out that the digital projection for IMAX was introduced because cost and difficulty of making 70mm film and projectors
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMAX#Digital_IMAX

It also sounds like 3D can be done with film, put it is mostly done with digital projection. RealD uses digital projection.
http://en.wikipedia.org/...Polarization_systems
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RealD_Cinema

Old Toby
Gondor

Jan 6 2013, 5:20am

Post #36 of 44 (204 views)
Shortcut
Wow, you put me to shame! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I am sorry to say that every theater, within about 100 mile radius of me, has pulled the HFR. I did go on Thursday, the last day my regular theater was showing it in that format, so at least I can say I saw it three times in HFR. Now I will have to settle for seeing it again in IMAX 3D....or maybe regular 3D. Crossing my fingers that I'll be able to go back tomorrow for viewing number 15. Do you think I like the movie???? Smile

And here I thought I was doing well, seeing it 8 times already! (9 tomorrow!) And yeah, I intend to see it as many times as possible in the 3D HFR while it's still out there. They've taken it out of the really nice big theater and put it in a slightly smaller screening room. Pity. So here it's still playing in this format as well as in the regular 2D. I haven't done the IMAX yet, mostly because I don't feel like seeing it in 3D unless it's HFR. I'm totally spoiled!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

MasterOrc
Rivendell

Jan 6 2013, 5:30am

Post #37 of 44 (199 views)
Shortcut
The nice thing about this movie.. [In reply to] Can't Post

is being invited to go with other friends and family on a regular basis. I'm going for #10 tomorrow in IMAX 3D.

This will be my second time in that awesome format. If you have a true IMAX theater in your area, don't miss out on a spectacular experience.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Jan 6 2013, 6:54am

Post #38 of 44 (183 views)
Shortcut
As do I. :) But it has been a bumpy road... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sorry to say that I walked out of my first viewing rather underwhelmed. Unsure

I think the core of the problem was my expectations. I was expecting another LotR, whether I knew it or not. The fact that the film was lighter in both tone and depth was jarring - when it shouldn't have been, given my familiarity with the source material. But I think the fact that PJ was expanding the story with the appendices material gave me a false impression about what the film would be like.

That first viewing was in 2D, which I wanted to see it in to continue the aesthetic experience of LotR. I made the conscious effort to see the film on my second viewing in HFR 3D to distance myself from the "LotR expectations". That viewing began my process of taking the film in on it's own terms and not comparing every beat of it to the trilogy.

Needless to say, by my third viewing, I was in love with the film. But I do find it a shame that my initial screening was so downbeat for me. I'm super excited about next year, however, because I feel like I'm expecting the next Hobbit film now, instead of the next LotR film.

- T.E. Lawrence

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Jan 6 2013, 6:55am)

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jan 6 2013, 6:56am

Post #39 of 44 (207 views)
Shortcut
The irritating thing about the christmas release [In reply to] Can't Post

is that college is on break and so all of the people who I would tag along with and so rack up the viewings are not around me.

Always pleased to hear of other people's viewing exploits though. Have fun at the IMAX!

Kullervo
Rivendell

Jan 6 2013, 7:16am

Post #40 of 44 (169 views)
Shortcut
Yes, 2D can be HFR [In reply to] Can't Post

altough the Hobbit is not available in that format. So I can't of course really judge how I would feel about that, but I do think that 2D is a traditional way of viewing films, as i s 24fps, so they belong together. And the HFR is something that looks spectacular, but doesn't look like a traditional film, and neither does 3D, so they go well together also. Smile

Ave Moria
Rivendell

Jan 6 2013, 8:50am

Post #41 of 44 (157 views)
Shortcut
Speechless [In reply to] Can't Post

I am not interested in debating those that feel differently, but I will say with zero reservations.

I have absolutely no idea what people are complaining about.

The film I saw?

Did not look like a soap opera AT ALL.
The CG didn't look bad
The 3D wasn't bad
It didn't look anything but completely immersive in a way that I have never experienced.

Gorgeous. Stunning. I literally felt like I was THERE.

The movie is phenomenal. And I loved it the first time. This movie I feel requires several viewings to get rid of critic and Rings baggage.

I think this is a masterpiece of it's kind and a great film. I cannot IMAGINE what the next two will be like...

-In the Darkness, a torch we hold-

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 6 2013, 10:32am

Post #42 of 44 (169 views)
Shortcut
AUJ compared to the LOTR trilogy [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the film is just as good as FOTR/TTT/ROTK. It's not better than the entire trilogy though.

And it's noway better than the book. None of the films are better than the book.

imin
Valinor

Jan 6 2013, 10:54am

Post #43 of 44 (145 views)
Shortcut
OK [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought it might be something like that but with going to see it 8 times i was wondering if you were feeling it was better than the others.

Like yourself it, along with the rest are not better than the two books. I would also probably have it (AUJ) edging closer to TTT for 3rd place, lol.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 6 2013, 11:39am

Post #44 of 44 (162 views)
Shortcut
This [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I thought it might be something like that but with going to see it 8 times i was wondering if you were feeling it was better than the others.

Like yourself it, along with the rest are not better than the two books. I would also probably have it (AUJ) edging closer to TTT for 3rd place, lol.

If I had to rank them, I'd say TTT and AUJ are on par with each other; with FOTR and ROTK higher up. I was 11/12 when the trilogy came out - if I had my own money then I would've seen them just as much. Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.