Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Details in AUJ that are spoilers for DOS and TABA
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Kullervo
Rivendell

Jan 6 2013, 11:02am

Post #26 of 40 (217 views)
Shortcut
Yes, could be [In reply to] Can't Post

And what is that above the swords on the wall? Could that be the same helmet that we are talking about? Would be quite an amazing attention to details on behalf of PJ and the crew... but I wouldn't put it past them.Smile

Kullervo
Rivendell

Jan 6 2013, 11:32am

Post #27 of 40 (217 views)
Shortcut
I went searching [In reply to] Can't Post

for screencaps and found this: http://collider.com/wp-content/uploads/ian-holm-hobbit-slice.jpg
So it is not the same helmet that Frodo holds up at the beginning of AUJ, but those are the same swords and a helmet(?) on the wall that are there in ROTK. So there is that attention to details.

(This post was edited by Kullervo on Jan 6 2013, 11:41am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 6 2013, 11:43am

Post #28 of 40 (208 views)
Shortcut
They must be from his adventures [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't imagine any other Hobbit hangs swords on their walls. Unless they are Bullroarer's, or family heirlooms?

Kullervo
Rivendell

Jan 6 2013, 11:54am

Post #29 of 40 (203 views)
Shortcut
Could be Bilbo's or could be Bullroarer's, I guess [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe if we see the movie enough times we can find Bullroarer's golf club somewhere.Smile

Kullervo
Rivendell

Jan 6 2013, 12:16pm

Post #30 of 40 (188 views)
Shortcut
Can you remember if we see [In reply to] Can't Post

Martin Freeman's young Bilbo in AUJ in that same room? If so, we could check if those swords are on the wall then also. If not, then that would indicate that they are something Bilbo picked up on his adventures.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 6 2013, 12:19pm

Post #31 of 40 (183 views)
Shortcut
Not that I remember [In reply to] Can't Post

In the film, we only see (Freeman) Bilbo's pantry, his bedroom, his hall, and two living rooms.

peace1993
Bree

Jan 6 2013, 1:32pm

Post #32 of 40 (193 views)
Shortcut
That was an amazing observation [In reply to] Can't Post

Good Job

Sam: Trust a Brandybuck and a Took.
Merry: What? That was just a detour, a shortcut.
Sam: Shortcut to what?
Pippin: Mushrooms!

Yva
Rivendell

Jan 6 2013, 1:33pm

Post #33 of 40 (184 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for that [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh dear, with the burping, I think you just managed to banish an extremely annoying peeve, and for that I'll be eternally grateful. Not only is the scene much less annoying now (the sound still is, but oh well), it actually has a meaning in terms of characterization. Well done! Actually that totally makes sense - little Ori seems to be so eager to mimic anything cool his big comrades do. Compare this with the troll scene, when the dwarves have to lay down their arms after Bilbo is taken hostage. Someone else on the board in one of the other Geeky Details thread pointed out that Ori watches Kili, who angrily throws down his sword, and then does exactly the same thing in an awesome theatrical manner.

Ori's burp has a deeper meaning - I'm totally happy now.

I already took to Balin, Kili and obviously Thorin, but Ori is quickly becoming my favourite. Can we have lots of dwarf character stuff in the EEs please?

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jan 6 2013, 6:12pm

Post #34 of 40 (122 views)
Shortcut
I had thought they were momentos from Frodo's adventures [In reply to] Can't Post

especially as the helm looks suspiciously like that of an Isengard Uruk, from what I can tell (hard to say for certain from that angle). I guess that's not the case now that they're there in the pre-11th birthday party sequence.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

marillaraina
Rohan

Jan 6 2013, 8:30pm

Post #35 of 40 (108 views)
Shortcut
Erm.. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
especially as the helm looks suspiciously like that of an Isengard Uruk, from what I can tell (hard to say for certain from that angle). I guess that's not the case now that they're there in the pre-11th birthday party sequence.

How could they be from Frodo's adventures when the framing scene takes place before Frodo's adventures?

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 6 2013, 9:47pm

Post #36 of 40 (102 views)
Shortcut
Yea! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Oh dear, with the burping, I think you just managed to banish an extremely annoying peeve, and for that I'll be eternally grateful. Not only is the scene much less annoying now (the sound still is, but oh well), it actually has a meaning in terms of characterization. Well done! Actually that totally makes sense - little Ori seems to be so eager to mimic anything cool his big comrades do. Compare this with the troll scene, when the dwarves have to lay down their arms after Bilbo is taken hostage. Someone else on the board in one of the other Geeky Details thread pointed out that Ori watches Kili, who angrily throws down his sword, and then does exactly the same thing in an awesome theatrical manner.

Ori's burp has a deeper meaning - I'm totally happy now.

I already took to Balin, Kili and obviously Thorin, but Ori is quickly becoming my favourite. Can we have lots of dwarf character stuff in the EEs please?

Another for the Ori fan club! I think he's just adorable, and I have developed quite a soft-spot for him.

and one of the great things about this place is seeing the ideas that people come up with for the movie. Things that make you see the movie, and the characters, in a different way. And that just makes it so much fun!

And I do love psychological discussions about fictional characters! Cool

Yva
Rivendell

Jan 6 2013, 11:40pm

Post #37 of 40 (87 views)
Shortcut
Happy to be a member of Ori fan club [In reply to] Can't Post

I especially like how all these details can change the entire tone and even the character's role within the story, both literally and in meta context.

The inevitable first impression for many people (I hope it's ok to make such generalization, as myself I'm charged as guilty) of Ori is that of a comic relief character whose sole purpose is to represent the lighter, comical aspect of the original text (as if PJ was saying "Yes, yes, I did read the book, here, have some funny Ori as a proof") and to make the young audience laugh at gross jokes. Ok, all that may still be true to an extent, but when you go through multiple viewings and start taking in all these details, that he looks up to the cool guys, that he is looked after by his brother, that he is carrying the journal around, suddenly the character steps out of the clichéd shell and becomes beautifully three-dimensional, (hehe, also literally in this case), well at least within the limits of the genre.

There must be so many of these small things especially in the group scenes, as the actors and PJ/PB had all the backstories and motivations figured out. I wonder how much of it is still hidden there, waiting to be discovered. Of course, PJ wouldn't let the dwarves steal the show from Bilbo/Thorin/Gandalf, and rightly so, but for those who pay attention, there's lots of good stuff. And thanks to everyone who is reporting in with their finds :)

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 7 2013, 12:29am

Post #38 of 40 (83 views)
Shortcut
Minor characters [In reply to] Can't Post

People are usually drawn to the major characters, but I tend to go for the lesser ones(thought Bofur does seem to be rather popular). I think it's because the minor characters are more fascinating to me. Unlike the leads, who have everything about them out there in the open, the minor ones are more hidden and therefore more interesting. You get to do more of the psychoanalyzing when it comes to them. And there's always enough to the characters to delve right in.

It makes it easier when the have actors who actually have their character down (rather than just "being in a group"). And you have that with each of these characters. Each actor has his character down and plays that character. It's not "group reaction", but each character reacting in their own way. And it in their interactions to each other. I tend to be drawn more to that, then what's happening in the main action.

I really look forward to seeing how each of these characters, especially dear sweet Ori, play out in the next two movies. ^_^

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jan 7 2013, 2:22am

Post #39 of 40 (84 views)
Shortcut
Sigh... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To
I guess that's not the case now that they're there in the pre-11th birthday party sequence.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Kullervo
Rivendell

Jan 7 2013, 3:21am

Post #40 of 40 (85 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I think so too [In reply to] Can't Post

Like DanielLB said, they must be something Bilbo picked up on his adventures or family heirlooms like Bullroare's old fighting gear. If we could see a climpse of that room in the unexpect party scene and they were not there, would mean that they are Bilbo's mementos. But I guess we never see that room in AUJ, so they remain a mystery... at leas for now.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.