Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
The There And Back Again Group Challenge friends!!

Iolani
Rivendell

Jan 5 2013, 6:47pm

Post #1 of 13 (229 views)
Shortcut
The There And Back Again Group Challenge friends!! Can't Post

Hey guys! As I'm sure the rest of you did too, over the holidays listing miles kind of went by the wayside.Crazy I did keep track though! But I can't seem to find our page! Are we still doing it? Unsure

"It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And you didn't want to know the end...for how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But then you realize in the end it's just a passing thing, this shadow. A new day will come! And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stuck with you, that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. The folk in those stories a lot of chances of turnin' back only they didn't. They kept going, because they were holdin' on to something."
"What are we holding onto, Sam?"
"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth fighting for!"

Joe-Mathews
Rivendell

Jan 5 2013, 9:19pm

Post #2 of 13 (108 views)
Shortcut
Dunno. I was wondering the same. I hope it returns soon. [In reply to] Can't Post

'There is some woe that lies upon you... Why will you not tell me more?'
'For that woe is past,' said Galadriel; 'and I would take what joy is here left, untroubled by memory. And maybe there is woe enough yet to come, thought still hope may seem bright.'

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 6 2013, 4:10am

Post #3 of 13 (90 views)
Shortcut
Funny thing, I was going to post it this evening [In reply to] Can't Post

Things got crazy-busy over the holidays!

So, in order to avoid a duplicate thread, why don't we all post our mileages in this thread and I'll catch up all the stats next week.

My miles since last update: 11
Beamer's miles: 1

Thanks for the motivation, Iolani and Joe!

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - getting thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain by December 2012; and the same Hobbit and Wizard back to Bag End by December 2013

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 6 2013, 4:37am

Post #4 of 13 (72 views)
Shortcut
OH CRIPES! [In reply to] Can't Post

I just now posted!!

I was working today and suddenly got hit with one of those OMG moments! I think I told you I'd cover the Holiday and TOTALLY FORGOT! My time got so crazy!

SORRY SORRY SORRY! I posted and now find this thread!

Next time, I'll stick a post-it note on my forehead!!

*hangs head in shame*

gramma's The Hobbit: Unexpected Journey Line Party Report & Review

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 6 2013, 4:43am

Post #5 of 13 (65 views)
Shortcut
No worries! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I had posted in the Friday Fiesta thread that I was finally digging out from the holidays and would post the WtR thread this weekend...

So, great minds think alike - apparently, all at once! Yay, us!

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - getting thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain by December 2012; and the same Hobbit and Wizard back to Bag End by December 2013

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 6 2013, 4:45am

Post #6 of 13 (86 views)
Shortcut
:} I was [In reply to] Can't Post

working on it as you were posting here! I"m sorry ... :)

sample

Unused Scenes

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 6 2013, 10:51am

Post #7 of 13 (79 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like you need to borrow the post-its I got for Christmas [In reply to] Can't Post

They have a massive 'OMG' at the top! Laugh

Iolani
Rivendell

Jan 6 2013, 1:37pm

Post #8 of 13 (71 views)
Shortcut
Whoopee!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so glad all this is straightened out now! Holidays have a way of making us forget things--no biggie. Besides, we'll be back on track now! Yay for us! Cool

Mileage over the holidays: 15.6
cumulative: 824.4
Goal: There and Back Again Group Challenge!!

We're back in the swing of things guys! Keep going! LaughHeart Oh--by the way--we're still counting the mileage from last year, right??

"It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And you didn't want to know the end...for how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But then you realize in the end it's just a passing thing, this shadow. A new day will come! And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stuck with you, that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. The folk in those stories a lot of chances of turnin' back only they didn't. They kept going, because they were holdin' on to something."

Joe-Mathews
Rivendell

Jan 6 2013, 6:13pm

Post #9 of 13 (62 views)
Shortcut
Old Week 8 - New Week 1 [In reply to] Can't Post

As the New Year arrives and the Hobbit premier has passed, it is time for me to step out the door and get on the Road for real.

I now, officially, take up my personal challenge to walk to Erebor – only at my own, healthy pace. I would like to get there by the third premiere, but I’m not making completion time part of my quest.

My walking boot is off and I’ve taken my first significant walks in three weeks. On doctor’s advice, it’s just not wise to push to get to Erebor on foot before the second premiere . Alas, age it seems has caught up with me! (Okay, not age. Poor health.) This is no time for the stubbornness of dwar… my own stubbornness. Foolishness already cost me more than three weeks of good walking. Even Thorin was smart enough to make Bilbo ride a pony much of the way.

There’s no need to rush on what should be an enjoyable, orc-free journey!
I will try to update as often as I can.

(Warm-Up Miles 80.1)

Miles This week: 6.5
Cumulative Miles Total: 86.6
Goal: Personal Challenge Miles: 6.5
(Miles to go: 960.5)

Good health and happiness to you all,
Joe Mathews

'There is some woe that lies upon you... Why will you not tell me more?'
'For that woe is past,' said Galadriel; 'and I would take what joy is here left, untroubled by memory. And maybe there is woe enough yet to come, thought still hope may seem bright.'

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 6 2013, 9:34pm

Post #10 of 13 (46 views)
Shortcut
I'll take a crate full!!! :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

Unused Scenes

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 8 2013, 3:36am

Post #11 of 13 (40 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps, even though i have not been around much, [In reply to] Can't Post

i could help a little and give you a link concerning quite a number of shining stars to inspire you. They inspire me.

The first one is Jennifer. Way to go JenniferHeart.

Iolani
Rivendell

Jan 8 2013, 2:52pm

Post #12 of 13 (23 views)
Shortcut
Good job! [In reply to] Can't Post

Keep going! I'm sure you'll reach your goals at your own pace! Remember, slow and steady wins the race. (I know that comes from a different tale entirely, but it's completely applicable!) Cool
Happy journeys! Laugh

Iolani
Rivendell

Jan 8 2013, 2:53pm

Post #13 of 13 (76 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, those were funny! [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoyed reading those inspirations. Comedy is the best, in my opinion--helps us take a jollier view of our challenges, and keep going! Sly

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.