Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
A few more Ro-thoughts-and-observations
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Jan 4 2013, 6:08pm

Post #26 of 42 (258 views)
Shortcut
That has to be a cameo by someone in the crew! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Aaaaaand just before Dwalin arrives and Bag End is shown from the outside a Hobbit with a big bottle walks by and takes a sip. He seems to be pretty drunk, probably just coming from the green dragon.

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jan 4 2013, 7:14pm

Post #27 of 42 (266 views)
Shortcut
So another legal infringement besides the Blue Wizards? [In reply to] Can't Post

Great observations again!

I only had time to read the first line, and it was "There was a merry messenger". This is the first line of Tolkien's poem called "Errantry", which was the precursor to what became known as the "Lay of Earendil" in LOTR.

Good catch. But I don't think the filmmakers have the rights to use "Errantry".

Once the whole throng is assembled in Bag End, the raucous Dwarves start getting ready for their big feast/party--they actually start rearranging Bilbo's furniture (his dining table in particular) to make it so they all have a place to sit.

Yes. Here's what my notes have as the dialogue at that point:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
DWALIN: Fili, Kili, come one give us a hand.
KILI (or FILI?): Mr. Dwalin.
(laughter, crosstalk)
BALIN: Let's shove this in the hallway; otherwise we'll never get everyone in.
BILBO: Ev--Everyone? How many more are there?
(crosstalk)
FILI (or KILI?): Where do you want this?
(bell rings)

Thorin's first words when he makes his kingly entrance into Bag End are "Gandalf! I thought you said this place was easy to find!" And then something about he took a wrong turn twice. No wonder he needs a map!

Right. I have that passage as:
THORIN: Gandalf, I thought you said this place was easy to find. I lost my way twice. Wouldn't have found it at all had it not been for that mark on the door.

BILBO: Mark? There's no mark on that door. It was painted a week ago!

GANDALF: There is a mark. I put it there myself. Bilbo Baggins, allow me to introduce the leader of our company, Thorin Oakenshield.

Thorin told them [F&K] to "Make sure you stay with them!" Clearly he knows those two well!

Was it "Make sure" or "Be sure"?

I heard the ponies' names as Daisy, Bongo, Myrtle, and Minty.

I heard "Bongo" as "Bungo".

After the trolls turn to stone, Gandalf chides Thorin for being disdainful of Bilbo, and says to Thorin what I've heard every time now as "None of you had the 'nads to play for time". I can't help but giggle; I'm sure I'm not hearing that right!

Like Evanui, I heard it as "nerves", as follows:
THORIN: Where did you go to, if I may ask?
GANDALF: To look ahead.
THORIN: What brought you back?
GANDALF: Looking behind. Nasty business. Still, there, you're all in one piece.
THORIN: No thanks to your burglar.
GANDALF: He had the nerves to play for time. None of the rest of you thought of that. They must have come down from the Ettenmoors.
THORIN: Since when do mountain-trolls venture this far south?
GANDALF: Ooh, not for an age. Not since a darker power ruled these lands. They could not have moved in daylight.
THORIN: There must be a cave nearby.
If "nerves" is "nous", I think that would be a rather un-Tolkienian word choice!

Corrections to these transcriptions would be most welcome.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Jan 4 2013, 10:10pm)

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 4 2013, 7:55pm

Post #28 of 42 (219 views)
Shortcut
That's interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a common term here in NZ.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 4 2013, 7:57pm

Post #29 of 42 (227 views)
Shortcut
That sipping thing annoyed me [In reply to] Can't Post

because it looked really fake. He didn't tip his flagon back nearly enough.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 4 2013, 8:01pm

Post #30 of 42 (222 views)
Shortcut
It is 'nous' [In reply to] Can't Post

I am 100% sure of this.

imin
Valinor

Jan 4 2013, 11:17pm

Post #31 of 42 (171 views)
Shortcut
Its common in the UK to, just they didnt know it. // [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 4 2013, 11:55pm

Post #32 of 42 (167 views)
Shortcut
I've never heard it before. [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if it's a regional thing?

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 5 2013, 12:04am

Post #33 of 42 (175 views)
Shortcut
It's always about the details [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for clarifying Bifur getting his trouser pulled up. We had a discussion on that in another post. I'm glad that someone caught what was happening.

I'm going to have to look for the hanging clothes in Rivendell! I've missed that each time(although I've only seen this 3 times)!

There's one thing I've noticed, and like, happens when the Dwarves arrive and Rivendell and then the Elves arrive. As they huddle, you see Bofur grab Bilbo and shove him into the center so that he's protected by the Dwarves.

And I do love seeing Bilbo get more and more rattled every time the doorbell rings.

And good to see that others noticed the small changes in Thorin's hair in the different time periods. ^_^

Wonderful little touches all around! I look forward to my next viewing so that I can hunt for more tidbits!

sevilodorf
Gondor

Jan 5 2013, 12:36am

Post #34 of 42 (162 views)
Shortcut
Agree with that [In reply to] Can't Post

Unless that jug was filled to the brim and if so it would have been too heavy to swing about like he did.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 5 2013, 12:52am

Post #35 of 42 (139 views)
Shortcut
Yes, exactly. // [In reply to] Can't Post

malla
Bree

Jan 5 2013, 1:37am

Post #36 of 42 (142 views)
Shortcut
How did Thorin get Orcrist back at the end? [In reply to] Can't Post

answer: the magic of Hollywood. Evil this "boo boo" is the kind of thing I love finding. Mistakes are made....the eagle did not pick up Orcrist when he was picking up Thorin. After 13 viewings, I've watched that scene carefully. You see the eagle's talons scoop up Thorin....the Oakenshield, by the way, falls away at this time....and Orcrist is not seen in the eagle's talons, against Thorin or even on the ground where it had been laying at a 90 degree angle from his body. It is totally left out of the picture for several seconds. It does appear later, held against Thorins body, as the eagle is in flight.

Tenna' ento lye omenta,
Malla

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 5 2013, 10:32am

Post #37 of 42 (123 views)
Shortcut
You can see the sword [In reply to] Can't Post

As Thorin is lifted off the ground - not as he is grasped by the claws, it's a couple of seconds after.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 5 2013, 10:57am

Post #38 of 42 (117 views)
Shortcut
I think you are right [In reply to] Can't Post

It does have little legs. Like a centipede.

malla
Bree

Jan 5 2013, 1:45pm

Post #39 of 42 (108 views)
Shortcut
you can see the sword [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
As Thorin is lifted off the ground - not as he is grasped by the claws, it's a couple of seconds after.

Right....as I said....you don't see the eagle grab the sword....it is not in those few seconds that he scoops up Thorin.....but you see the sword as he is flying away, several seconds afterwards. The sword is lying next to Thorin before the eagle comes to get him. You never actually see the eagle scoop up the sword, or see it on the ground. But it appears later. Hence what I call a 'boo boo.'

Check out the various sites online that lists errors in films. They are fun to look at.

or check out these errors sometime.... Gandalf and Pippin are walking side by side in Denethor's castle. Gandafl's robe is clean...yet a few steps further there are large stains around the bottom of his robe, which disapear later.

or when Frodo and Sam are captured by Faramir. They are kept in a stone walled room with large wooden barrels behind them. The camera shows Faramir as he walks into the room to talk to them and when the camera goes back onto Frodo and Sam, the barrels are no longer there.

or in another series of movies....C3P0 is cleaning R2D2 after they were bought by Uncle Owen and Luke. You see him holding the rag one second, the next it is gone, and it comes and goes a few times during the scene.

see what I mean by 'boo boos' Tongue .

Tenna' ento lye omenta,
Malla

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jan 9 2013, 12:52am

Post #40 of 42 (72 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps, but maybe they won't notice. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Great observations again! Thanks!

I only had time to read the first line, and it was "There was a merry messenger". This is the first line of Tolkien's poem called "Errantry", which was the precursor to what became known as the "Lay of Earendil" in LOTR.

Good catch. But I don't think the filmmakers have the rights to use "Errantry".
Funny that you still have the link to that old post. Smile The filmmakers may not have the rights to use "Errantry", but that line is clearly written on that piece of parchment, and there's more lines after the first one that I haven't been able to read yet -- I need a pause button! You can see it on Bilbo's desk right as Bilbo stands up as Frodo hands him the RSVPs (I think that's right). I'm impressed with your transcriptions, NEB! I knew you take good notes, but you've clearly been working hard on this!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 15 2013, 12:56am

Post #41 of 42 (36 views)
Shortcut
**I've Gathered Geeky List Info from this post :) THANKS ALL! // [In reply to] Can't Post

gramma's The Hobbit: Unexpected Journey Line Party Report & Review
and first draught of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 4 2013, 11:41pm

Post #42 of 42 (41 views)
Shortcut
**PLEASE DO NOT ADD ANYMORE OBSERVATIONS FOR THE LIST TO THIS THREAD!** [In reply to] Can't Post

I've made the final gathering of geeky observations for this thread. Please post any additions to the most current Hobbit Movie Board Thread. THANKS MUCHLY!! J

First draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.