Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
This Movie.. as a Sentimental Journey?

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jan 4 2013, 1:29am

Post #1 of 7 (382 views)
Shortcut
This Movie.. as a Sentimental Journey? Can't Post

Many of TORn....knows this movie means
very much to Bomby..

And the many
Early Book-Firsters..45 ?years..

Rather than make Bomby some kind of central
focus of this forum.. sit back and write your
Best Stories ...

about how Much&Deeply ..Felt
this movie Was..
for you...

( Bomby will take his own
Advice & post maybeee
a week from now...)

Goldberry wants to hear Each of you..
from Valinor?

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jan 4 2013, 2:35am

Post #2 of 7 (204 views)
Shortcut
I loved it [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey on December 24th @ the 11:30 showing at the local Wehrenberg theater with my bro, mom and dad. I was so excited that morning. Nervous, but excited. I was thinking, "What if it's not good? What if Jackson messed up?" and then I was thinking, "I can't wait, I can't wait! I'm so stoked! I'm going to see The Hobbit!" I walk in the theater and take my seat in the middle of the row. We got there early, so I had to sit through a lot of boring ads. While waiting for the movie to start, I listened to my ipod. Finally, the coming attractions showed, and then it was the feature presentation. My heart was pounding as the movie started. I was like, "I can't believe it. I'm seeing The Hobbit. I'm actually seeing The Hobbit." Within the first few minutes of the film, I was in love. As I saw the rest of the film, I fell even deeper in love. By the time the movie ended, I was in awe. It was so good and I look forward to seeing it again.
I hope you enjoyed it Bomby, and I hope Goldberry is happy. Cheers! Smile

kareniel
Lorien

Jan 4 2013, 1:19pm

Post #3 of 7 (203 views)
Shortcut
Yet another lovely journey. [In reply to] Can't Post

Every journey I have taken to Middle-earth, via book, film, or the musical stage play, has afforded me a view of that land from a different perspective. And I have never been disappointed. There is always a new wizard or warrior to become better acquainted with, or another kingdom or cave to explore. Aren't we lucky to have PJ as a tireless and courageous leader on the filmic expeditions? He never fails to find a character for us to get to know better or another obscure path for us to wander through the Middle-earth he so obviously loves. I always return from PJ's journeys breathless, wide-eyed, and eager for the next adventure.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jan 6 2013, 1:18pm

Post #4 of 7 (153 views)
Shortcut
Goldberry.. sends Thoughts to you.. and all [In reply to] Can't Post

Every dawn..

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 6 2013, 4:24pm

Post #5 of 7 (191 views)
Shortcut
How Much & Deeply Felt [In reply to] Can't Post

As a book-firster (41 years! I can't catch up with you, Bomby Heart), I have been so excited to see a live-action adaptation of the Hobbit. One thing I discovered on the one and only viewing I've had so far, is how happy I am to finally see this! It was wonderful, magical, and brought back the thrill of when I first met Bilbo and Gandalf and the Dwarves and Gollum all those years ago.

I think one of the advantages of having read the book first, is that even though AUJ has it's own style (and years before, the Rankin-Bass Hobbit), I still "see" the story with my own mind's eye. I don't replace Bilbo with Martin Freeman or Orson Bean when I read or think about the Hobbit, or the landscapes in the journey with PJ's; instead I still see my own vision. Having that firmly in my own mind makes me enjoy the movies even more--I can enjoy the imagination of the directors, but still keep my own Middle-earth. Even reading the criticism of others can't destroy the magic for me. I can't even really describe how deeply the magic reaches me, I'm just happy its there. It is truly a sentimental journey.

Thank you for asking us to share, Bombadil!

" Well well!", said a voice. "Just look! Bilbo the hobbit on a pony, my dear! Isn't it delicious!"
"Most astonishing wonderful!"

(This post was edited by Aragalen the Green on Jan 6 2013, 4:26pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 8 2013, 3:07am

Post #6 of 7 (142 views)
Shortcut
I fell in love with Middle-earth all over again. [In reply to] Can't Post

Special effects, strange plot lines, canon, non-canon...these can be debated endlessly, but in the end, none of that matters.

Because at the center of it all are 13 dwarves and a wizard and a hobbit, and their relationships to one another, and the adventures they have. And I'm back in Middle-earth. (And the dwarves are delightful, but my heart is given to Bilbo. Heart)

45 years, Bomby? Then you and I read it for the first time, at about the same time! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Laguz
The Shire

Jan 9 2013, 2:23pm

Post #7 of 7 (163 views)
Shortcut
I was so emotional on my first viewing of The Hobbit! [In reply to] Can't Post

My first introduction to Tolkien was just over 12 years ago when FotR released and ever since I've adored LotR books and films. It's a massive part of my life and even watching the vlogs I was getting emotional (I think visiting NZ's North Island last year contributed to this greatly).

Onto the film and how it made me feel.

I welled up at the beginning, seeing the black screen with the golden 'Metro Goldwyn Mayer and New Line Cinema', 'Wignut Films' and then the 'The Hobbit'. I can't explain why it made me fill up, but it was nostalgic, and such a perfect way to open a film prequelising (Is that even a word? xD) LotR.
I loved the opening sequences with Ian Holm & Elijah Wood as Bilbo/Frodo, I think it was such a lovely way to tie in the two trilogies. Having The Hobbit start with the first moments of the day and FotR start off with the remaining of the same day was a perfect way to fit in. I can image Bilbo sitting there on the day of his 111th Birthday reminiscing about his journey to Erebor with Thorin & Company, and then you go onto FotR and continue with the rest of the story.

As for the rest of the movie (I'm not going to go into all my feels about it) it was, imho, a brilliant homage to Tolkien. Readers of the books will have noticed the little nods to the book - Blunt the knives, The invention of golf, out of the frying pan, and the other phrases/moments and I think it was such a nice way to go about it. Ok, so they changed some things and I can understand why. I came out of the cinema thoroughly impressed and have returned to see it another four times, still completely enjoying it =)

~Laguz~

Back in Action from over a year xD

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.