Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Okay, ladies…
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Jan 4 2013, 8:04pm

Post #76 of 96 (470 views)
Shortcut
Young Dwarf prince, indeed, with a tragic past. [In reply to] Can't Post

he had me during Bilbo's description of him in the Erebor introduction. The part that starts 'the young Dwarf prince' and shows Thorin leading the small group of Dwarves up to a precipice looking out over a valley, and ends with 'and he never forgave, and he never forgot' - wonderful script, delivery by Ian Holm, character-setting, and eye candy to boot

Me too. The prologue completely changed my concept of Thorin as grumpy old book Thorin forever. Handsome (lordy lordy!), moral (worried about Thror's greed, takes whatever job is necessary), quick-thinking, decisive ("Dragon!"), loyal (turns back to save Balin from incineration), heroic totally admirable leader in battle (standing in front of his men as a fire-breathing dragon bashes through the gates) and responsible leader in exile. We are left no choice but to love him.

And another thing they don't mention (brace yourselves, ladies), but it's now part of my personal back story for Thorin, is the beautiful and rare Dwarf Princess-to-be who perished on that fateful day, leaving him to face the rebuilding of the kingdom alone. (Before anybody starts looking, I have totally made this up, ok?) Isn't that the most believable explanation for the "he never forgave and he never forgot" that truly explains the Heathcliff-like heart-wrenching brooding smolder (nod to ashonmytomatoes:

That voice. Could you imagine if he played Heathcliff in an adaptation of Wuthering Heights. I feel faint just thinking about that.

So, while I would go home with Aragorn, I am not immune to Thorin's fine qualities. King Elessar gets a chance to ride off into the sunset with his Arwen. Our King Thorin under the Mountain - well, that's the tragedy. Some cheerful little children's tale, eh?Frown

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 4 2013, 8:12pm

Post #77 of 96 (448 views)
Shortcut
You might say that [In reply to] Can't Post

but I couldn't possibly comment. Wink

little mouse
Rivendell

Jan 4 2013, 11:16pm

Post #78 of 96 (409 views)
Shortcut
my sister [In reply to] Can't Post

still asks me this kind of questions and I tried to explain that to her but she always says: "I can`t understand"Frown

That doesn`t mean that I don`t like movie-Thorin, he is just the second-best.

This topic is about why do we like movie-Thorin, so here are his two best scenes:

1.Thorin vs. Azog
2.Dwalin:"I`ve thought we lost our burglar."
Thorin:"He`s been lost ever since he left home!"

Bladerunner
Gondor

Jan 5 2013, 12:32am

Post #79 of 96 (405 views)
Shortcut
Ladies (and gents), this thread has been a very entertaining. Your posts have had me laughing out loud. Good stuff!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 5 2013, 1:51am

Post #80 of 96 (396 views)
Shortcut
We aim to please! [In reply to] Can't Post

Seriously, though, we are edging precariously close to Thorin fan fiction, which I assume is already out there. God help us all.

imin
Valinor

Jan 5 2013, 3:41am

Post #81 of 96 (365 views)
Shortcut
That's how fifty shades of grey started! // [In reply to] Can't Post

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 5 2013, 3:43am

Post #82 of 96 (369 views)
Shortcut
Worse yet!! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Seriously, though, we are edging precariously close to Thorin fan fiction, which I assume is already out there. God help us all.

If there's Thorin fanfic, there is certainly Slash Fic. And with 15 male members in the group....

"They know we're brothers, right?"
"That doesn't seem to matter."

>_<

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Jan 5 2013, 3:54am

Post #83 of 96 (373 views)
Shortcut
I beg your pardon! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is serious scholarly speculation we are engaging in here! Mad So Delrond (flicks another cherry sour), dear Bladerunner and Imin, my brothers, let's have no more sniggering! PirateLaugh

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 5 2013, 3:57am

Post #84 of 96 (371 views)
Shortcut
Well, to be fair, there are mostly male characters in AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

So that might make more sense. Wink

I suppose we'll have to wait for the inevitable Kili/Tauriel "Fifty Shades." I'll try to contain my excitement.

marillaraina
Rohan

Jan 5 2013, 4:24am

Post #85 of 96 (359 views)
Shortcut
Hey :D [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Hell, even that airhead Kili found it, though he probably just followed Fili.

Hey what's with the Kili bashing around here? LOL What makes you think Kili is an airhead? :) Fili is the one saying "If there's a key, there must be a door!" like he's just discovered a cure for the common cold instead of you know, stating the bleeding obvious. I'm not exactly seeing Fili winning any awards for brain power here. Sly

Just because he didn't get Bilbo's parasite thing? None of them got it except apparently Thorin. :) Or was it thinking Gandalf must have killed lots of dragons? It looked like most of them had thought that way, at least Kili has the excuse of being young. But the impression to me was more one of Kili just being the one to say what most of them were thinking, and then when Gandalf seemed reticent they started to realize maybe that wasn't the case.

(Actually there was this really funny gifset I wish I'd saved where it's like "When Bilbo Baggins is the brains of your operation...and that includes you Thorin" ROFL--I think it's largely safe to say that most of the dwarves aren't exactly going the sharpest tools in the shed)

Kili showed himself to be a smart enough fighter(he improvised blocking the arrows with the ladder and then along with the others used the ladder to run the goblins over in front of them and allow them to cover the gap in the bridge, as I recall Fili wasn't even near him then).

Kili's a little naive and a little reckless but his heart seems to very much be in the right place and he seems to quite like Bilbo--he was very pleased when it turned out Bilbo hadn't left them after the Goblins.

But while Kili has that brooding angstiness about him, Fili has that cheeky, fun loving aspect about him.

We clearly saw different versions of the film. :D Kili wasn't broody and angsty, he was cheerful and friendly and smiled and laughed quite a bit throughout the film(more than Fili did). He joked around a bit with Bilbo(he got in trouble for it, but it really was just a little bit of teasing, how was he supposed to know Thorin would get angsty about it and Baline would use it as an excuse to have a flashback? LOL).

Kili's the only one who greeted Bilbo by name and he tried to make small talk with him based on Bilbo himself instead of just what he was there for--when he said "You've got a nice place"(yes he got in trouble for wiping his boots on Belladonna's hope chest but the point is he was trying to be friendly LOL)

He was serious when the situation called for it but no more than that. He was eager to be of use to his uncle and he was protective, it seemed to me you could sense he wants to be like how he sees his uncle Thorin - his hero, someone who watches out for his people.

And for Thorin's part, he seems pretty attached to his nephew. He smiled at Kili when he arrived at Bilbo's house and was removing his cloak. He looked like he had every confidence in him whenever he called upon him to use his bow. So from what I can tell Thorin is quite fond of his youngest nephew even if he knows he can sometimes be a bit of trouble.

Maybe being upset when they had to give up when Bilbo was captured might count as "angsty" to some but it's because he was worried about Bilbo - I mean as soon as he saw Bilbo up there, he yelled out "Bilbo!" and Thorin had to stop him from rushing in - that's an example of inexperience, nothing more and nothing worse. His aim was the same as Thorin's, he didn't want Bilbo harmed.

His biggest flaw thus far seems to be that his eagerness to help has on occasion outstripped his ability to do so, which can be troublesome of course, but is admirable in it's own way, IMO. He appears to be a genuinely noble-hearted young dwarf.

(This post was edited by marillaraina on Jan 5 2013, 4:33am)

marillaraina
Rohan

Jan 5 2013, 5:09am

Post #86 of 96 (359 views)
Shortcut
Ah fanfic... [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL Most of it is low quality, not that I've read much. But it's a relatively new fandom so it was kind of fun to see what sorts of things were going on, the tropes being trotted out.

LOL Naturally there is the slash and in this case, incest slash. I generally skip them(nothing personal but I tend to like more "in character" stuff and yeah I just don't see them actually happening "in character")--I think it's Bagginshield for Bilbo/Thorin, Kilbo for Kili/Bilbo, Durincest for...well that is sort of self explanatory I think.

There are the Mary Sue inserts of course but there are some nice gen ones and family oriented ones about the brothers or Thorin and his nephews. I read a short one from Dis' point of view that had me crying ugly ugly tears by the end of it.

It was done from the perspective of her braiding her sons' hair, first when they were children, then a bit older and then in death. Damn I'm tearing up just thinking about it . It just makes me realize how utterly heartbreaking the end of the Battle of the Five Armies could well end up being.

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 5 2013, 5:41am

Post #87 of 96 (339 views)
Shortcut
I have nothing against fanfics [In reply to] Can't Post

I have written many of them myself. I just don't like slash fics. Mary Sues are much better. Though I have read some funny spoofs of the MarySue and slash fics. I'll probably look around and see if I can find some good "in character" ones, since I do like those kinds of fics.

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Jan 5 2013, 12:40pm

Post #88 of 96 (357 views)
Shortcut
It started with Spooks. [In reply to] Can't Post

When the casting was announced, I didn't know who RA was. I showed my mother the dwarf cast and said that he was from Spooks. I watched an episode with her.
Needless to say, I was giggling for the remainder of the week and watching Robin Hood.

But in The Hobbit, I fell for him when he saved Balin's life from Smaug's attack on Erebor. Such dedication and friendship coming from a young dwarf prince...
Also, it's great fun fangirling over RA with your aunt to embarrass your uncle. Smile

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Jan 5 2013, 12:44pm

Post #89 of 96 (326 views)
Shortcut
Isn't it possible [In reply to] Can't Post

That we can just kidnap both of them and lock them up in the Mirkwood dungeons? Choosing would make my head hurt.

Captain Sassy Pants
The Shire

Jan 5 2013, 1:59pm

Post #90 of 96 (320 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Not just that for the first time ever, the dwarves are separate, distinct individuals, not just one bearded, hooded mass. It's that PJ had the guts to make Thorin into a heart-throb, oh my *fans self*. He just skirts the edge of being too arrogant for me, but keeps pulling himself back---so far. We'll see whether the script plays out the same way the book does. And I hope it does, because I want to see RA play it as it was written.

CrazyHeartBlush

He had the "guts" to change the established lore to try and meet demographic quotas in order to draw in the women who aren't fans of fantasy and make more money. "Guts" indeed.

Old Toby
Gondor

Jan 5 2013, 9:53pm

Post #91 of 96 (284 views)
Shortcut
And you're saying this because.... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To
Not just that for the first time ever, the dwarves are separate, distinct individuals, not just one bearded, hooded mass. It's that PJ had the guts to make Thorin into a heart-throb, oh my *fans self*. He just skirts the edge of being too arrogant for me, but keeps pulling himself back---so far. We'll see whether the script plays out the same way the book does. And I hope it does, because I want to see RA play it as it was written.

CrazyHeartBlush

He had the "guts" to change the established lore to try and meet demographic quotas in order to draw in the women who aren't fans of fantasy and make more money. "Guts" indeed.

You know this to be true for a fact? How so? Are you privy to his reasons because you know him personally? Your comment sounds both bitter, resentful, and out of line. This is a thread for fans of Thorin, female fans in general. As you seem to be neither, why are you here?

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

(This post was edited by Old Toby on Jan 5 2013, 9:57pm)

Joe B.
The Shire

Jan 6 2013, 6:40am

Post #92 of 96 (258 views)
Shortcut
I am, too [In reply to] Can't Post

and all Thorin did for me was make me miss Aragorn.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 18 2013, 1:40pm

Post #93 of 96 (145 views)
Shortcut
Dwarf princess... [In reply to] Can't Post

You, Richard Armitage, and Philippa Boyens, apparently... Laugh

http://www.hollywood.com/news/The_Hobbit_An_Unexpected_Journey_Richard_Armitage_Thorin_Oakenshield_Interview/46160788

Though it sounds like there are not plans to incorporate this in the actual screenplays of any of the films, more an idea that informs RA's performance.

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Jan 18 2013, 9:04pm

Post #94 of 96 (121 views)
Shortcut
Whooooa! That's an eye opener! [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you suppose they'd consider another head writer?Laugh

And who do we get for the Dwarf Princess cameo in Thorin's flashback?Angelic

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 19 2013, 1:54pm

Post #95 of 96 (109 views)
Shortcut
Me! Me!! I'll play her!!! <3 // [In reply to] Can't Post

glor
Rohan

Jan 19 2013, 8:51pm

Post #96 of 96 (125 views)
Shortcut
Pocket Sized? [In reply to] Can't Post

Movie Thorin is 5 foot 2", that's actually 2 inches taller than me in real life.....

I am only five foot tall... mm wonder if PJ needs any doubles for reshoots....

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.