Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Huffington Post: Critics dislike Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit at their own peril
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

redgiraffe
Rohan

Jan 4 2013, 2:53am

Post #76 of 96 (173 views)
Shortcut
Oh man... hahaha [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The news is certainly not 100% bias free especially the newspapers which are biased but certain news shows are better than others - for myself i watch BBC or most likely read the BBC news on their website.

I think it would probably be very difficult to be completely impartial - channel 4 news is pretty close though i think.

Compared to US they are all incredibly unbiased though, lol. Much of the problems in the US and therefore the world are caused by the US media in my opinion. From over here in the UK it looks to me like Republicans and Democrats are further apart than ever.

Still i think America is an incredibly varied place with great zest for life and miss it. Sometimes its nice to have a fake smile and interest in you when getting a coffee in the morning than be served by some depressed coffee girl in the UK, lol. Ah the quest for tips, lol.

I'd say you are pretty much spot on. Republicans and Democrats refuse to work together. It's pretty bad to where people pass judgement based on what party you are in.

Which makes me wonder what the heck happened over the years? I'm 24 right now, and when I was a child it was considered rude to inquire about someone's political leaning, and who you voted for was a personal issue that was no one else's business. Now people love to boast stupid political memes that bash the other party, all over facebook. I'm beginning to fear my generation has forgotten what research and articles are.

Strangely enough I actually have found hope in a very unlikely place. Governor Chris Christie of New Jersey seems to me to be that little bit of hope for politics. It's strange because I such different views on issues than he does but he is probably the one politician that I respect right now. It's all because he knows his job is to do the best he can for his state; it's not to support a political agenda.

He and the House republicans are about to seriously but heads. And I can only say it won't end well for the house republicans. There's too many people out there who respect Christie. And I really hope it does end badly for the house. Hopefully after that we'll be able to get something similar to happen with the Democratic senate. That's the only way I really see the politics changing.

The sad thing is though, is that this all comes back to these politicians and the media. They're all wrapped up in rabble rousing and fear mongering so that their parties can maintain power. It's not the way it should work though. Congress should be working together to do what's best.

Well, here's to hoping we don't end up causing anymore anger with the rest of the countries in the world!Wink

I, of course, love America though. I've always loved it. We have great potential to do better though. I've never understood people who regurgitate the phrase "America is the greatest country in the world."

#1 that's a little freaking obnoxious
#2 How can you make such a claim? Have you LIVED in every country in the world?

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

(This post was edited by redgiraffe on Jan 4 2013, 2:55am)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jan 4 2013, 2:58am

Post #77 of 96 (162 views)
Shortcut
Oh, our American media is more a monster than The Great Goblin or Azog. [In reply to] Can't Post

and equally pernicious at times. But I digress, as does this thread. lol

In Reply To
The news is certainly not 100% bias free especially the newspapers which are biased but certain news shows are better than others - for myself i watch BBC or most likely read the BBC news on their website.

I think it would probably be very difficult to be completely impartial - channel 4 news is pretty close though i think.

Compared to US they are all incredibly unbiased though, lol. Much of the problems in the US and therefore the world are caused by the US media in my opinion. From over here in the UK it looks to me like Republicans and Democrats are further apart than ever.

Still i think America is an incredibly varied place with great zest for life and miss it. Sometimes its nice to have a fake smile and interest in you when getting a coffee in the morning than be served by some depressed coffee girl in the UK, lol. Ah the quest for tips, lol.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

imin
Valinor

Jan 4 2013, 3:05am

Post #78 of 96 (159 views)
Shortcut
I know two threads at once! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have some skill at going off on a tangent, haha!

Again sorry OP!

lyndomiel
Rivendell

Jan 4 2013, 3:14am

Post #79 of 96 (160 views)
Shortcut
King Kong and A Lovely Bones apparently [In reply to] Can't Post

Both critical flops - and they seem to be chomping at the bit to see PJ fail again. Critics don't like fantasy films. They prefer bio pics and mobster flicks - most of which I will see once if at all. LOTR was new and innovative and caught them by surprise. They can't keep an open mind for The Hobbit.

imin
Valinor

Jan 4 2013, 3:18am

Post #80 of 96 (166 views)
Shortcut
Yeah but they were also not very good films [In reply to] Can't Post

especially the lovely bones so the critics have a point with those. To me PJ lost his mojo after the lord of the rings.

Also the critics liked King Kong more than the general public going off RT scores - 7.7/10 for critics, 5.6/10 for audience.

hutch
Rohan

Jan 4 2013, 3:20am

Post #81 of 96 (145 views)
Shortcut
yeah, that's kind of a curse [In reply to] Can't Post

for a film with built in audiences with built in expectations. Always happens in sequels/prequels: those 'TADA!" moments that bring viewers attention to call backs.

oh well.

Gandalf still rules, so all is well.

Davy Jones could've been Bilbo...I mean he was a Brit with a sense for adventure, singing & dancing. And think of the costs it would've save with forced perspective: he was ACTUALLY 5'3. He also hung out with a grumpy tall dude in a hat (Mike Nesmith.) While we're at it let's just have Micky Dolenz and Peter Tork as Merry & Pippin.

hutch
Rohan

Jan 4 2013, 3:21am

Post #82 of 96 (149 views)
Shortcut
I loved Lovely Bones [In reply to] Can't Post

Din't like King Kong though. Yeesh!

Davy Jones could've been Bilbo...I mean he was a Brit with a sense for adventure, singing & dancing. And think of the costs it would've save with forced perspective: he was ACTUALLY 5'3. He also hung out with a grumpy tall dude in a hat (Mike Nesmith.) While we're at it let's just have Micky Dolenz and Peter Tork as Merry & Pippin.

hutch
Rohan

Jan 4 2013, 3:22am

Post #83 of 96 (150 views)
Shortcut
Lovely Bones was good to me. [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't see anything sound in the criticism surrounding that film. It was solid. Inventive and a good watch. The worst thing about it was Mark Whalberg's wig. Yuck.

hutch
Rohan

Jan 4 2013, 3:23am

Post #84 of 96 (150 views)
Shortcut
you mean refuse to work at all. [In reply to] Can't Post

goodness gracious.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jan 4 2013, 3:31am

Post #85 of 96 (146 views)
Shortcut
Indeed he does [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

In Reply To
for a film with built in audiences with built in expectations. Always happens in sequels/prequels: those 'TADA!" moments that bring viewers attention to call backs.

oh well.

Gandalf still rules, so all is well.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

imin
Valinor

Jan 4 2013, 3:41am

Post #86 of 96 (141 views)
Shortcut
Had i not read the book [In reply to] Can't Post

before hand i think i might have liked it more - but as i had i felt it fell short of the book.

The heaven scenes were bad but then its hard to get that right as so many people will have a different opinion on how it should look.

Its not a dreadful film but its one of his worst and i think overall not a very good film. I did like the lead girl though, she has an other worldly look about her.

redgiraffe
Rohan

Jan 4 2013, 4:00am

Post #87 of 96 (137 views)
Shortcut
lol [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
goodness gracious.

hahah I'm giving them too much credit. They don't do any work.

Back to PJ: I didn't really like King Kong. It felt too long and not very emotionally compelling. I thought all the action scenes just went on for too long. It was a very beautiful film though. But I feel as if PJ went a little too wild in just making a bunch of action scenes he wanted to see. Sort of like a kid let loose I guess! HAHA.

I never saw all of Lovely Bones. Was it really that bad? The stuff that I saw of it I kind of liked.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

hutch
Rohan

Jan 4 2013, 4:11am

Post #88 of 96 (135 views)
Shortcut
Part of his charm is being a kid making films, but it didn't work well for KK [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah. I def, felt like PJ tried to LOTR-ize King Kong and it didn't work. I liked the Lovely Bones alot. But not many people did. I'm still not sure what the complaints are. Check it out. PJ's cameo in Lovely Bones is second only to his one on FOTR.

hutch
Rohan

Jan 4 2013, 4:14am

Post #89 of 96 (127 views)
Shortcut
Never read that book, so I had no expectations... [In reply to] Can't Post

...except that it was going to be an awful film bc that's all anyone kept saying about it. I was shocked to find a pretty good film.

Yeah. I was bummed when Saoirse Ronan had to pull out of The Hobbit. She was made to be an elf.

BeornBerserker
Lorien

Jan 4 2013, 4:31am

Post #90 of 96 (120 views)
Shortcut
Yeah Avatar was great [In reply to] Can't Post

I just wish they would have left the name Dances With Wolves 3D version instead of changing the title to Avatar. Wink Somehow even with the name change to Avatar I still knew he would fall in love with one of the natives and be co-opted into their culture.

Kimtc
Rohan

Jan 4 2013, 5:47am

Post #91 of 96 (185 views)
Shortcut
I only enjoyed it in 3D [In reply to] Can't Post

At the time, it was an event. The visuals were just lovely, so lovely I really paid no attention to any plot, character, etc. Oh, and it had Sigourney Weaver, so that's something. But when it showed up on cable in 2D, I had Beorn's reaction. (see also: Titanic).

Having seen Hobbit in 2D and 48 fps 3D, I liked it no matter the format (although for the record, I loved 48 fps).

Elessar
Valinor

Jan 4 2013, 6:27am

Post #92 of 96 (115 views)
Shortcut
Agree with the heart of the article [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the title is a bit much but as a whole I agree with the article as a whole. The Hobbit so far has been a fantastic ride and for me very much with the heart of the book still there. I think in the end that's what the author is trying to get across is that The Hobbit is there as well as the other great material Tolkien created helping make everything one big trip in Middle-earth. That's something I love about what what we've gotten so far in four films. When I read both stories every year I read them back to back because for me its one giant trip through a universe I care so much about. In the end I think some critics missed that as well as and that's their loss but to be fair I'd say the same to some of the purists as well.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Jan 4 2013, 4:41pm

Post #93 of 96 (69 views)
Shortcut
I dont think its strange that so many [In reply to] Can't Post

critics should be critical of AUJ. PJ kind of blew it when he called them all 'bloggers' in that derogatory way. Nobody likes being told they are hacks, he got up their noses pretty early on. They were honour bound to be a bit sniffy with faint praise. As regards superhero films, I thought Avengers was dross, Watchmen is much more interesting and spectacular IMO.

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 4 2013, 5:41pm

Post #94 of 96 (59 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's cool technology.

It's interesting that all the characters in Avatar were done Serkis-fashion, but in AUJ, only Gollum got the full treatment. It would have been interesting to see if Azog could have had more of a full treatment, instead of just battle CGI. People might be more accepting if he looked like a 360-degree character like Gollum.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Jan 5 2013, 12:09am

Post #95 of 96 (46 views)
Shortcut
Probably because IMO the R&B version was truer to the book than Peter Jackson's Hobbit. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hate to say that but I think the R&B version kept closer to the tone of the book and was able to tell all the story needed in 90 minutes. peter Jackson added a bunch of stuff that IMO(again) that was not necessary or even needed to tell Bilbo's tale. He turned a story about Bilbo Baggins into something more about Thorin Oakenshield than the supposed main character.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Jan 5 2013, 12:16am

Post #96 of 96 (65 views)
Shortcut
Sheeesh I feel the same way about the Hobbit, had I only just never read the book... [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink, because the film fell short of the book for me there as well.... good film but could have been so much better had Jackson stuck closer to what Tolkien wrote Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.