Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
I think you nailed it

Old Toby
Gondor

Jan 12 2013, 8:57pm

Views: 42
Shortcut
I think you nailed it [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think, purely from film-making perspective, it might even be better than FOTR or any of the LOTR movies. Its greatest weakness, if you can call it that, is the fact that The Hobbit as a story doesn't quite have the same epicness as LOTR, so it doesn't necessarily evoke the same level of feelings as LOTR does, but from film-making viewpoint it holds its own and is, in some ways, even better than its predecessors.

I've seen it 7 times now and it still feel like I haven't had enough of it.

when you say that it isn't the EPIC that LOTR was and that's because of the nature of the source material. At least PJ didn't dumb it down to just a child's story! It's clearly a 'lighter' tale with more comedic moments in keeping with the tone of the book, and we don't have those incredibly emotional scenes in it, like Gandalf's fall at Moria and Boromir's death, to say it was a gut-wrenching film. Hah! Just wait till #3!! I think it will be even more devastating and moving than the LOTR films. At least I'm hoping it will be, knowing what in general is coming down the line.

And I think it's unfair to compare it to FOTR because FOTR was the very first time we got to see Middle-earth visualized in such an astonishingly grand manner. With TH we are already used to that world, so it didn't take us by surprise.

I've seen it 10 times now....and still counting!! (Legolas! 10 already!)

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Subject User Time
Conclusion after many viewings... jtarkey Send a private message to jtarkey Jan 3 2013, 8:17pm
    You think this movie is the most affected by the switch? QuackingTroll Send a private message to QuackingTroll Jan 3 2013, 8:42pm
        I have to say that I agree QT, if we look at things, perhaps the 2nd or 3rd film will be most affected by the switch (*book spoilers*) Xanaseb Send a private message to Xanaseb Jan 4 2013, 11:04am
    Have to disagree Lindele Send a private message to Lindele Jan 3 2013, 8:43pm
        I'm with you dubulous Send a private message to dubulous Jan 3 2013, 8:56pm
            i, too, thought the filmmaking was incredible unexpectedvisitor Send a private message to unexpectedvisitor Jan 3 2013, 9:19pm
            7 times! flameofudun Send a private message to flameofudun Jan 4 2013, 1:38am
                7 times, gosh! imin Send a private message to imin Jan 4 2013, 1:57am
                    I saw TTT 8 times in theatres... jtarkey Send a private message to jtarkey Jan 4 2013, 2:00am
                        That is a fair few times! imin Send a private message to imin Jan 4 2013, 2:12am
                            Really? Goldeneye? I LOVED Tina Turner's performance of the Theme Song for it AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Jan 4 2013, 2:34am
                                It was literally just for Xenia Onatop imin Send a private message to imin Jan 4 2013, 2:38am
                                    Lol. Understood. AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Jan 4 2013, 2:48am
                                        lol now im all imin Send a private message to imin Jan 4 2013, 2:53am
                                            LOL! AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Jan 4 2013, 2:55am
                                                haha genuine type sure, lol :P imin Send a private message to imin Jan 4 2013, 3:02am
                                                    It REALLY was though! AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Jan 4 2013, 3:29am
                                                        I believe you :) imin Send a private message to imin Jan 4 2013, 3:49am
                            Sorry--it's all about Sean Bean Kimtc Send a private message to Kimtc Jan 4 2013, 4:16am
                                Not if you are male :P imin Send a private message to imin Jan 4 2013, 4:22am
            I think you nailed it Old Toby Send a private message to Old Toby Jan 12 2013, 8:57pm
        I just don't believe The Hobbit is up to LOTR standards... jtarkey Send a private message to jtarkey Jan 4 2013, 1:52am
            an exceptional exception... glor Send a private message to glor Jan 4 2013, 2:12am
                amazing Lusitano Send a private message to Lusitano Jan 4 2013, 2:29am
                Blade Runner: Director's Cut and more thoughts on the consensus unexpectedvisitor Send a private message to unexpectedvisitor Jan 4 2013, 4:14pm
                    Good post :) // imin Send a private message to imin Jan 4 2013, 4:26pm
                    well... glor Send a private message to glor Jan 4 2013, 8:09pm
    Three hundred lives of men.... and now I have no time ForestPark Jan 3 2013, 10:16pm
    In charm, humour and pace, it exceeds The Rings movies. AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Jan 4 2013, 12:53am
        My measure is how much I want to go back Kimtc Send a private message to Kimtc Jan 4 2013, 1:03am
            Yes - the measure of a film is how often you want to see it again. lyndomiel Send a private message to lyndomiel Jan 4 2013, 3:29am
            Yup. Roheryn Send a private message to Roheryn Jan 4 2013, 8:43am
        It is meant to be a more humourous tale imin Send a private message to imin Jan 4 2013, 1:16am
            The humour is surprisingly successfully British QuackingTroll Send a private message to QuackingTroll Jan 4 2013, 1:40am
                I think Freeman got it right imin Send a private message to imin Jan 4 2013, 1:55am
                British humour goes down really well in NZ. Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Jan 4 2013, 2:11am
                    Vicar of Dibley is the same for me imin Send a private message to imin Jan 4 2013, 2:31am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.