Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Which of these Tolkien-themed monitor calendars would you print and use if given the opportunity?
Poll: Which of these Tolkien-themed monitor calendars would you print and use if given the opportunity?
The Hobbit - Bilbo 7 / 8%
The Hobbit - Dwarves 13 / 14%
The Hobbit - Movie Logo 2 / 2%
Mr. Bliss 1 / 1%
Alan Lee Sketches 9 / 10%
Frodo Lives/Remington Book Cover 1 / 1%
Eärendil's Heraldic Device 6 / 7%
Ring Verse - Eye of Sauron 3 / 3%
JRRT initials & illustration 9 / 10%
Moria Door 6 / 7%
Rohan 5 / 5%
Tolkien Emblematic Device 3 / 3%
White Tree of Gondor 10 / 11%
potential new one: Gandalf in the Shire (see example in post) 11 / 12%
potential new one: Thorin  (see example in post) 6 / 7%
92 total votes

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 3 2013, 5:21pm

Post #1 of 11 (641 views)
Shortcut
Which of these Tolkien-themed monitor calendars would you print and use if given the opportunity? Can't Post

PLEASE READ BEFORE VOTING!

For the past few years, I've designed Tolkien themed computer monitor strip calendars. Consistent with my personality, I keep adding new designs. It's to the point where updating these every six months is more and more time consuming.

So, I'm interested in knowing which of these designs (if any) you guys would actually want to use.

To see examples of the first 13, visit this page:
http://www.amagpiesnest.com/a/calendars/index.htm

I considered which images might work for new calendars and worked up these two as possibilities. The images below are only rough drafts. The names of the months would be more readable and would likely use different fonts.

If you would actually print one (or more) of these out, would you vote? (multiple votes are possible)

Although I'm flattered if you were to say you like one, more, or all of them... and you can certainly tell me that in a post...
for voting purposes, I'm only interested in which ones you'd actually print out.

And I won't be hurt if none of the designs get any votes. :-) seriously... I do stuff because I like doing them and I use them myself. I like sharing but I don't necessarily think that other people actually want or use what I offer. And I don't mind continuing to offer them. But, it's a good thing to reassess, every once in a while, what is still useful or not.

Thanks for the feedback.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 3 2013, 5:34pm

Post #2 of 11 (146 views)
Shortcut
Your first poll! :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

How does it feel?

I always vote for the same one - JRRT initials and illustration. It sits on my computer at work (well, the old 2012 one did anyway).

Thank you for continuing these one every 6 months. It's greatly appreciated.

Smile

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 3 2013, 6:19pm

Post #3 of 11 (126 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

this was a question that had easily and distinctly defined parameters!

so, it felt good. :-)

Thanks for voting.

I make one for the business I work for, as well, and it occurred to me yesterday when I went back to work that these had completely escaped my attention.

On the plus side, I got a lot of work done on the Mathom-house wiki. :-)

(This post was edited by Magpie on Jan 3 2013, 6:20pm)

zarabia
Grey Havens

Jan 4 2013, 6:22am

Post #4 of 11 (120 views)
Shortcut
I was just thinking about your calendars the other day! Cool :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jan 4 2013, 6:01pm

Post #5 of 11 (95 views)
Shortcut
What are their dimensions? [In reply to] Can't Post

(in inches or centimeters)

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 5 2013, 1:39am

Post #6 of 11 (96 views)
Shortcut
generally... [In reply to] Can't Post

1.25 high and 8.8 long.

Some a taller or wider to fit the image on.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 5 2013, 1:48am

Post #7 of 11 (128 views)
Shortcut
The results are interesting, and perhaps predictible [In reply to] Can't Post

The Remington and Mr Bliss designs were my foray into the outer regions of Tolkien's popularity.

And The Hobbit movie one was fairly generic design to offer something for The Hobbit back when not much was available.

I'll work on these over the weekend and post on Main when they're available for downloading.

I'll check the poll for any changes before I wrap up work on them.

thanks, guys.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 6 2013, 7:46pm

Post #8 of 11 (83 views)
Shortcut
The new calendars are now completed [In reply to] Can't Post

Go back to the index page to find one you like.

If you download a calendar that you haven't voted for, would you vote for it now.

I originally started it to get a sense of what people wanted but now I'll use it to keep tracking interest.

cheers.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Jan 6 2013, 7:52pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 7 2013, 12:24pm

Post #9 of 11 (110 views)
Shortcut
You know I can never choose just one :) [In reply to] Can't Post

And I voted my little heart out. These are always so brilliant, Magpie... and they've become one of the things I look forward to every New Year.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 7 2013, 5:34pm

Post #10 of 11 (119 views)
Shortcut
Still no love for Mr Bliss :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Interestingly, when one of my co-workers wanted a calendar, she (who knows nothing about Tolkien) chose Mr Bliss.

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 20 2013, 12:34am

Post #11 of 11 (576 views)
Shortcut
I voted for the Alan Lee sketches but, [In reply to] Can't Post

there are many i like. A 2nd choice would anything-hobbitSmile

Thank you again Magpie for your efforts with this neat project.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.