Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Where Did All of Galadriel's Gadgets Come From?

Gandalf's Moth

Jan 2 2013, 6:34am

Post #1 of 16 (831 views)
Shortcut
Where Did All of Galadriel's Gadgets Come From? Can't Post

Did she make them? Were there any write ups on it?

Elven Cloaks?
Her Mirror
The Phial of Galadriel
Elven Rope,
what else...

GM

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 2 2013, 7:21am

Post #2 of 16 (424 views)
Shortcut
Q Branch - [In reply to] Can't Post

aka Quenya Branch?

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Jan 2 2013, 7:56am

Post #3 of 16 (415 views)
Shortcut
Just further evidence to back up my answer when someone questioned how she could suddenly dissapear from Gandalf's side in the Hobbit movie. [In reply to] Can't Post

She's Batman!

Gandalf's Moth

Jan 2 2013, 8:08am

Post #4 of 16 (338 views)
Shortcut
lol [In reply to] Can't Post

She needs to wear black then...

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jan 2 2013, 8:18am

Post #5 of 16 (413 views)
Shortcut
The Elven cloaks, and the rope [In reply to] Can't Post

were definitely made in Lothlorien...FotR states that the cloaks were woven by Galadriel herself and her handmaidens and imbued with Elven magic (like the rope.)

The mirror and phial have no known history of creation. The pedestal on which the silver mirror dish stands was probably created when Celeborn and Galadriel settled in Lothlorien in the Second Age. I have seen fanfiction that supposes Melian gave Galadriel the mirror. We can certainly assume it was she that taught Galadriel much of Elven magic, including scrying for the future, and how to create the star-glass.

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Gandalf's Moth

Jan 2 2013, 8:44am

Post #6 of 16 (343 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the reply [In reply to] Can't Post

Wasn't the star taken from the Star of something....?

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jan 2 2013, 8:47am

Post #7 of 16 (367 views)
Shortcut
Yep, it was the light of the Star of Earendil [In reply to] Can't Post

(Elrond's father) who was placed in the Heavens as a star with the Silmaril retrieved from Morgoth by Beren and Luthien on his brow, at the end of the First Age.

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Jan 2 2013, 9:58am

Post #8 of 16 (319 views)
Shortcut
Indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

I would assume that light from the Star of Earendil was captured in the phial via the same technique that Feanor used to capture light from the Two Trees in the Silmarils. Both Feanor and Galadriel were of the Noldor, who were very skilled in crafts and lore. We don't know exactly how the light was trapped in the phial but hey, we're not Elves. Tongue

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 2 2013, 10:08am

Post #9 of 16 (314 views)
Shortcut
That's what Elrond's moon table is for! [In reply to] Can't Post

Galadriel used it to create the Phial!

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Nerven
Rivendell

Jan 2 2013, 12:33pm

Post #10 of 16 (267 views)
Shortcut
Regarding the mirror [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it is not actually a mirror, it´s just a basin and when filled with water and when Galadriels breaths on it, it becomes the magic mirror. I think she can use it everywhere, she just needs some basin ( I don´t think it wa a special one) and water.

For the phial, I think she made it herself too and filled it with the water of the basin when Earendil was shining.

(This post was edited by Nerven on Jan 2 2013, 12:36pm)

dubulous
Rohan

Jan 2 2013, 12:56pm

Post #11 of 16 (249 views)
Shortcut
Martha Stewart of Middle Earth [In reply to] Can't Post

As it's been said, the elven cloaks she wove herself with her handmaidens, and I guess the rope as well. It might be something she learned from Melian, just as she learned from her how to make lembas.

The phial I believe she made from the light or Eärendil reflected on her mirror, so that just leaves the mirror - which I suspect has something to do with the power of Nenya so, again, probably something of her own making.

Or she bought it all at Elf-Mart and got a bulk discount.

shadowdog
Rohan

Jan 2 2013, 2:42pm

Post #12 of 16 (206 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't understand why people question that scene. She showed in LoTR that she can appear where she is not; as when she appeared to help Frodo up. So I gathered that she appeared to Gandalf and then "disappeared" because she wasn't there.

ForestPark
Rivendell

Jan 2 2013, 7:04pm

Post #13 of 16 (143 views)
Shortcut
She switched to " Bunbling" [In reply to] Can't Post

She was able wrap up "Telepresence", "MindTexT" ' ,"The Light" and Unlimited Past, Present and Future Moments into a low monthly payment but there was a 2000 year contract. This led to the War of the RingTones and Activation Fees.

ForestPark
Rivendell

Jan 2 2013, 7:10pm

Post #14 of 16 (133 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... Re-Gifting ??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 2 2013, 8:08pm

Post #15 of 16 (125 views)
Shortcut
The Noldor are craftsmen [In reply to] Can't Post

During the early Second Age they did a lot of building and making of things. Most of the gadgets, with the exception of rope and mundane objects, are certainly artifacts left over from that time. They even had a bigger city in Hollin (destroyed by Sauron and allies). The Silmarillion is a good reference for the craft of the elves.

Mahtion
Rivendell

Jan 5 2013, 5:21am

Post #16 of 16 (69 views)
Shortcut
Rostron is correct [In reply to] Can't Post

The Galadhrim are a mix of Avari, Sindar and Noldor. After Eregion fell the Noldor left to Rivendell, the Havens or Lothlorien. The few Noldor among the Galadhrim must still forge weapons and armor because we see the unique uniform armor worn by Haldir and his men. It seems hard to imagine a forge in the trees but I suppose it's possible as long as the fire doesn't catch the trunks.

In the Fellowship EE, Galadriel gives Merry and Pippin Noldorin daggers probably from Eregion. All of the swords used by the Galadhrim look like the standard second age design called great elven warrior sword. However my Arms and Warfare of ME book says that the forges of Rivendell made most of the armor and weapons for the Last Alliance which seems almost impossible given the number of elven kingdoms that joined.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.