Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Our New Year's fireworks.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jan 1 2013, 7:32am

Post #1 of 9 (146 views)
Shortcut
Our New Year's fireworks. Can't Post

Happy New Year, everybody!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 1 2013, 1:57pm

Post #2 of 9 (81 views)
Shortcut
Woo-hoo! Happy New Year to you! [In reply to] Can't Post

That was sparkly! Smile

Fireworks in a can, I didn't know you could get them like that! How high did they go? Did you fire them up in your barbecue pit?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jan 1 2013, 2:47pm

Post #3 of 9 (54 views)
Shortcut
That's how they normally come around here. [In reply to] Can't Post

They're called "fountains". We generally save a couple from Fourth of July to set off at New Year's. We set this one off in our front yard. The sparks go up about eight feet. We're lucky to live in one of the few communities in the state where fountains are legal. So are sparklers and spinners, basically anything that doesn't fly or explode like firecrackers, though some fountains have some pretty loud pops.

I always feel better about setting them off in midwinter when there's snow on the ground than in midsummer when there are fires burning in the mountains. Though come to think of it, that fire is still burning under the snow in the mountains; we went hiking there and met a firefighter coming down the snow-packed path with an ax in his hand.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jan 1 2013, 2:57pm

Post #4 of 9 (67 views)
Shortcut
Pretty! [In reply to] Can't Post

A proper Gandalf moment, there Smile Cheers!

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Jan 1 2013, 4:46pm

Post #5 of 9 (46 views)
Shortcut
They burst like stars of blue and green! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a real beauty. I've never seen one that lasted quite that long!

I love backyard fireworks, even though they can be scary. They're not legal here, so I haven't seen one in years and years, but I think they still are where I grew up (like the "whirlybird" one that took off sideways and chased my dad across the backyard instead of going straight up!)

Anyway, Happy New Year to you and your family!!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jan 1 2013, 4:49pm

Post #6 of 9 (59 views)
Shortcut
Years ago one of those "whirlybirds" [In reply to] Can't Post

took off sideways and went into my dad's garage. He was not happy.

Those aren't actually legal here, but boys will be boys.

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Jan 1 2013, 4:55pm

Post #7 of 9 (45 views)
Shortcut
Ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

What do they have against dads, I'm wondering?

We got ours when they first came out, around 1964 or '65 I'm guessing. They were legal that year, but I remember in a couple of years they just weren't available in our area anymore. They are gorgeous when they go straight up, but not really worth the risk--to dads at least!ShockedEvil

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 1 2013, 6:26pm

Post #8 of 9 (43 views)
Shortcut
Happy New Year guys! [In reply to] Can't Post

Uncle Baggins and Auntie Dora, all the best to youSmile.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 1 2013, 6:50pm

Post #9 of 9 (66 views)
Shortcut
Happy New Year Aunt Dora :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the wonder and excitement of fireworks - we usually go into London but couldn't this year (my partner was working it!)

Looks chilly too. Wrap up warm!

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.