Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The armor of the Woodelves....

YaznegSouth40
Rivendell

Dec 31 2012, 8:57pm

Post #1 of 17 (1840 views)
Shortcut
The armor of the Woodelves.... Can't Post

did anybody see their armor better...I've seen the movie twice and I tried to get a better look at their armor. How is it to you all? Their armor seems pretty cool...better than the last alliance elves armor or at least as good. The woodelves and Thranduil will probably be my second favorites after of course the dwarves as well as Beorn!

(This post was edited by YaznegSouth40 on Dec 31 2012, 8:58pm)

Avnar
Lorien

Dec 31 2012, 10:09pm

Post #2 of 17 (1160 views)
Shortcut
I didn't like it... [In reply to] Can't Post

From what I saw (for a second or two) it looked fake!

The armor that the the last alliance elves/gondorian soldiers/Rohan Royal guards etc all look real

God I hate cgi Mad

ForestPark
Rivendell

Dec 31 2012, 10:14pm

Post #3 of 17 (1151 views)
Shortcut
seems to be made of [In reply to] Can't Post

ginger bread and nutter butters totaly usless againgts orcs imho

Mahtion
Rivendell

Jan 1 2013, 4:49am

Post #4 of 17 (966 views)
Shortcut
Seems to be plate [In reply to] Can't Post

Snide remarks aside we know that later the actors will costumed in actual armor just like Thorin and other characters.

I found it odd that Mirkwood soldiers are so heavily armored compared to the war veteran Noldor in the Last Alliance. Chain and lamellar hauberks vs full plate seems odd, I know Thranduil had suits weapons and a hidden fortress made but could their armor be so heavy? Maybe it's molded after the dwarves of Erebor since they are neighbors.

Oh and if Tolkien elves are keeblers then the dwarves are lawn adornments and their armor is brittle and fragile porcelain.

Balin88
The Shire

Jan 1 2013, 7:46am

Post #5 of 17 (871 views)
Shortcut
Like [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the look if the armour, especially the head peace. In my opinion the armour didn't look fake. I think in the next two films the use of CGI will fade away due to the fact that we will be seeing alot more races o middle earth being re introduced, and in my opinion it's alot easier to CGI a dwarf then a man it an elf, my hope is that the next few battle scenes will be less CGI due to the fact of having to use a man in a costume to distinguish the height of an elf and a man !

cobalt358

Jan 1 2013, 8:51am

Post #6 of 17 (862 views)
Shortcut
i thought it looked pretty good [In reply to] Can't Post

it had somewhat of a throwback to the Last Alliance armour, while still keeping a look all of it's own. definitely keen to see more of it.

Erudryt
The Shire

Jan 1 2013, 9:01am

Post #7 of 17 (844 views)
Shortcut
Agree ! [In reply to] Can't Post

I like me too the look of their armour.

deskp
Lorien

Jan 1 2013, 5:38pm

Post #8 of 17 (1649 views)
Shortcut
Picture of real armor costume parts. [In reply to] Can't Post

Is this what you are talking about?

I belive this shows elven spears/weapons, 2 armor parts and a quiver. From the german tv special.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2yuj59h.png

So far I think the mirkwood armor looks quite good, first time i saw them i wasnt sure about the helmets but now i really like them.

Mahtion
Rivendell

Jan 1 2013, 6:41pm

Post #9 of 17 (787 views)
Shortcut
Deskp is awesome [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for that pic! First I have seen of the armor and it looks like heavy leather. I take back what I said about the armor being too heavy like plate relative to the Last Alliance armor.

Hey deskp, are you the same person from eurobricks? :)

deskp
Lorien

Jan 1 2013, 6:45pm

Post #10 of 17 (773 views)
Shortcut
it's me [In reply to] Can't Post

Yepp, same from eurobricks.

weater or not thats the same armor we see in AUJ I couldn't tell, but it is armor and it looks elvish so I assumed.

mutelock
Bree

Jan 1 2013, 7:28pm

Post #11 of 17 (769 views)
Shortcut
Really cool designs! [In reply to] Can't Post

Majestic, but rustic. I remember thinking the helmets looked like carved wood. Now I get the same vibe from the shoulderguards.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Jan 1 2013, 7:31pm

Post #12 of 17 (749 views)
Shortcut
The shoulder guards remind me of pine cones! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

mutelock
Bree

Jan 1 2013, 7:36pm

Post #13 of 17 (727 views)
Shortcut
They do. I see what you mean // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ave Moria
Rivendell

Jan 1 2013, 7:44pm

Post #14 of 17 (731 views)
Shortcut
LMAO. Nutterbutters.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I almost peed at your post...too funny.

I love the armor though, and it's not even CG ironically.

-In the Darkness, a torch we hold-

Mahtion
Rivendell

Jan 1 2013, 8:17pm

Post #15 of 17 (751 views)
Shortcut
Your avatar looks like them [In reply to] Can't Post

Did you make some Lego designs for the Mirkwood armor? That looks like a possible design for the Mikwood host in BOFA.

If you find any more pics please share them. I was disappointed that the Weta art and design book lacked Thranduil and the Mirkwood soldiers designs. Makes sense since they will feature heavily in DOS.

YaznegSouth40
Rivendell

Jan 1 2013, 9:18pm

Post #16 of 17 (855 views)
Shortcut
The Woodelves probably will wear outfits like.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Legolas wears or what we see Tauriel wearing...a leafy,green pelt type of suit then by the time of battle will be in that elven armor of theirs for the Battle of Five Armies.

(This post was edited by YaznegSouth40 on Jan 1 2013, 9:19pm)

deskp
Lorien

Jan 1 2013, 10:11pm

Post #17 of 17 (745 views)
Shortcut
lego shows you [In reply to] Can't Post

The random guard will proapbyl wear this: http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/...mages/c/c3/Elf_2.jpg

Simialr to Legolas' classic attire.

-That there is the "elf guard" from lego's DOS set.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.