Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Chip the dishes and crack the plates...
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

elostirion74
Rohan

Jan 1 2013, 9:53pm

Post #51 of 55 (128 views)
Shortcut
Put me on the list of those who loved it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually saying I loved it feels almost like an understatement! First of all I think it was a song that fitted the tone of the adaptation. Secondly both the tune and the rhythm was great and third thing I thought it worked visually and flowed really well with the previous part of the scene, where Bilbo is running around trying to prevent the dwarves from making a chaos out of his tidy respectable home. And that is a big part of what the arrival of the dwarves to Bag End revolve around in the story: messing up Bilboīs orderly life and respectability. I love the sense of glee on the faces of the dwarves as they start singing.

I donīt read much into the scene, I just thought it was a great way of using some of the original material, making it fit in beautifully with the actual tone and style of the adaptation.

Escapist
Gondor

Jan 1 2013, 10:00pm

Post #52 of 55 (121 views)
Shortcut
I enjoyed it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it showed that these dwarves have more in store than just dinner by the fire - I liked the nice neat stack of dishes at the end and how flustered Bilbo got at all of it. IT was pretty cinematic - maybe this is where the motion of the plates was a bit too rapid / maybe unrealistic ... if I put my picky glasses on (ew - life is less enjoyable with those on *takes them off)

They did a good job with starting it with Ori's question. That was pretty funny.

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Jan 1 2013, 10:47pm

Post #53 of 55 (121 views)
Shortcut
I thought it was great [In reply to] Can't Post

So great that I bits of it multiple times at a Hogmanay (new years eve) party I attended last night, replacing "Bilbo Baggins" with the flat owner's name. Tongue

Yes, my username is terrible.

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 2 2013, 12:13am

Post #54 of 55 (119 views)
Shortcut
Did they even know what you were singing? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
So great that I bits of it multiple times at a Hogmanay (new years eve) party I attended last night, replacing "Bilbo Baggins" with the flat owner's name. Tongue

And what was the owner's reaction? Wink

swordwhale
Grey Havens

Jan 2 2013, 4:54am

Post #55 of 55 (140 views)
Shortcut
speed records... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think it showed that these dwarves have more in store than just dinner by the fire - I liked the nice neat stack of dishes at the end and how flustered Bilbo got at all of it. IT was pretty cinematic - maybe this is where the motion of the plates was a bit too rapid / maybe unrealistic ... if I put my picky glasses on (ew - life is less enjoyable with those on *takes them off)

They did a good job with starting it with Ori's question. That was pretty funny.

I too occasionally put on the Picky Glasses (especially where horses are concrened)...

Some thoughts:

HFR makes fast action comprehendable (I can see what the heck they're doing now!).

Wicked cool warrior types (Elven or Dwarven) would be doing stuff like you'd see in the best martial arts films ever... it would be fast, faster than the eye (or 24 FPS) can follow. While it looks odd to the uninitiated, or impossible...
...proves, it does, that Jedi you must be, to fling Bilbo's plates about...

Some of the bunnysled action bordered on this, though real mushing at top speeds (sprinting or ski-joring) is quite fast... and those are Rhosgobel rabbits.

In Brave, I had issues at first with some of the action (it seemed to quick and cartoony), big horses don't really move exactly like that... then I realized it wasn't because the artists failed in their research (they were quite excellent, actually), but that the entire film had a style where the action was exaggerated a bit; quick and cartoony.

The Hobbit seems to exaggerate reality just a wee tad more than LOTR did.

Still love it.

Oh darn, were those my glasses...

Go outside and play...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.