Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Hobbit almost at 700 Million!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 31 2012, 10:52pm

Post #51 of 75 (663 views)
Shortcut
Agreed with that for sure. // [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

shadowdog
Rohan

Dec 31 2012, 10:54pm

Post #52 of 75 (764 views)
Shortcut
Just checked [In reply to] Can't Post

RoTK was at 272 million after 17 days.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 31 2012, 10:57pm

Post #53 of 75 (680 views)
Shortcut
Holidays are nearing end... [In reply to] Can't Post

It'll be a slow crawl towards $300m. I hope it makes it.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 1 2013, 1:21am

Post #54 of 75 (594 views)
Shortcut
The LOTR films had great legs. [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember them playing in some theaters into March. A lot of their totals did come in a slow crawl. Films don't seem to stay in theaters as long now, but I expect The Hobbit will still be around for several more weeks.

Silverlode

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 1 2013, 1:45am

Post #55 of 75 (628 views)
Shortcut
LOTR comparisons [In reply to] Can't Post

The LOTR films at this point (Day 17) had grossed:

FOTR:
Day 17 - $189,286,662
Final domestic gross: $313,364,114
Gained $124,077,452 after day 17

TTT:
Day 17 - $243,590,544
Final domestic gross: $339,789,881
Gained $96,199,337 after Day 17

ROTK:
Day 17: $272,832,713
Final domestic gross: $377,027,325
Gained $104,194,612 after Day 17

Average gain after Day 17: $108,157,000

TH:AUJ:
Day 17: $221,743,000

Since this is the first film in a new trilogy and it's been a decade since the previous trilogy (which in movie terms means we have a whole new generation discovering these), I think we're doing well. If AUJ has the same kind of legs, we may end with similar numbers. I expect the numbers for the next two Hobbit films to rise like they did for LOTR. The Hobbit may not break records, but it's a solid performer and quite profitable.

Silverlode

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Jan 1 2013, 4:05am)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jan 1 2013, 1:53am

Post #56 of 75 (568 views)
Shortcut
Well, of course ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm aware that it's not gonna be out of theaters in a week or two, or three. Wink

But TTT, which had the shortest post holiday legs of the LOTR films, made only about $80m more in total after its 3rd weekend, which is exactly what Hobbit needs to reach $300m. Had it not been for a few more days of holidays (which TTT had not) i would have Hobbit missing $300m, because i very much doubt Hobbit has the same longevity than the LOTR films. As of right now i believe it still has a solid chance of $300m but it might be pretty close.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Jan 1 2013, 1:59am)

sharpened_graphite
Rivendell

Jan 1 2013, 1:55am

Post #57 of 75 (573 views)
Shortcut
Great comparison! [In reply to] Can't Post

Puts things in perspective. I must note that ALL the feedback about the Hobbit I've got from my friends and acquaintances has been overwhelmingly positive. So all the word of mouth I've personally encountered has been nothing but good.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jan 1 2013, 2:22am

Post #58 of 75 (583 views)
Shortcut
Some mistakes. [In reply to] Can't Post

You have the day 18 cume for FOTR and TTT.

Plus i think doing a comparison like "gross after X amount of days" muddles it because the LOTRs opened on a wednesday, Hobbit did not. A better way is to align the weekdays (compare friday with friday, saturday with saturday etc) and treat the opening wednesday and thursday of the LOTRs as a prolonged opening weekend or preview days, like box office mojo is doing it in their charts.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Jan 1 2013, 2:27am)

TheCoon
Lorien

Jan 1 2013, 2:45am

Post #59 of 75 (519 views)
Shortcut
ok fox [In reply to] Can't Post

time to announce the new date for days of future past now srsly they dont WANT to debut it against TABA do they im anticipating both films (though TABA 1000X more) and would hate to see TABA overwhelm it

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 1 2013, 4:16am

Post #60 of 75 (509 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, I've corrected it. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think entirely accurate direct comparisons are impossible, because each year not only is the calendar slightly different, with the holiday and weekends falling on different days of the week, but midweek premiere days may well net less than Friday releases. In addition, competition is not always of the same caliber. This is simply a "days since release" comparison, which gives an easy ballpark comparison rather than a detailed adjusted one.

What I wanted to know is if there was a notable disparity between The Hobbit's performance at this stage and LOTR's performance, and it seems that so far, AUJ is not vastly different from FOTR. It still remains to be seen whether it will have equal staying power or not.

Silverlode

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jan 1 2013, 5:05am

Post #61 of 75 (525 views)
Shortcut
One thing that's different between AUJ and TTT [In reply to] Can't Post

(which i'm thinking it may eventually overtake), is that AUJ seems to be benefiting from changing expectations. TTT was a pretty well known quantity at this point in it's run, so it probably didn't pick up many converts this far in. AUJ seems to be gaining a lot of people who were either A) thinking that it was just another LotR movie and didn't realize that it's new and different and stands on it's own or B) believing the bad reviews but are now hearing that it's a lot better than that. That's why i think AUJ will have a stronger first and second week in January than FotR or TTT did. Though i agree that it probably won't stick around quite as long the first trilogy did (i too remember seeing some of the LotR films in March).

Old Toby
Gondor

Jan 1 2013, 6:07am

Post #62 of 75 (521 views)
Shortcut
I hope this movie stays around a bit longer [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know how it's been playing everywhere else, but here in the middle of the Pacific the audience attendance is very sparse, to say the least. On Christmas day the theater was pretty full though, and I'm hoping that tomorrow, New Year's Day, it will be as well. I've been to see it 6 times already - 5 in 3D HFR and 1 in 2D (guess which I prefer) - and it's a bit disturbing to me how drastically the attendance has tapered off so quickly. ROTK played here for months! I suspect The Hobbit will not (no matter how many times I go see it). So to hear that it's doing so well on a global level, that's very encouraging!

I think the fact that it had such mixed...if not outright negative...reviews here in the U.S. has adversely affected the attendance. I suppose the majority of Tolkien fans would be undaunted by reviews, but people who are not fans might have decided not to see it after all. And as some have pointed out, it's a shame that most of the criticism has been all about the HFR rather than about the movie itself. (For myself, I love this film...even more so after multiple viewings.)

Well, back to the topic at hand...I intend to continue to see this film as much as time allows me to, because I have a bad feeling it's not going to be around a whole lot longer in our theaters.Oh please prove me wrong!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

RhodeCamelot
The Shire

Jan 1 2013, 6:45am

Post #63 of 75 (457 views)
Shortcut
So i'm not alone!! /high-fives/ [In reply to] Can't Post

My reasoning was that supporting yet another Oscar-potential *cough* would kinda be a disfavour to Sir Peter....LOL!!
It sounds foolish and perhaps even sore-loser-ish to some but those historical films are gonna be showered with "critical acclaim" anyway! (¬__¬)

In Reply To

In my silly mind, I feel like if I go now it will somehow hurt AUJs chances of staying on top. Going to see AUJ six times helps, too. Hope PJ buys something nice with my money.

#dftba

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jan 1 2013, 9:46am

Post #64 of 75 (442 views)
Shortcut
I really do not see it having that kind of legs... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think i'm going out on a limb in saying LOTR was better received. Plus movies tend to be a little more frontloaded now than they were a decade ago. FOTR had great late legs, especially the weeks after Oscar nominations, where it went up compared to the previous week two times. Hobbit is not gonna have that kind of bump late in its run, TTT is the best comparison for it and even mimicking that is not gonna be easy.

TheCoon
Lorien

Jan 1 2013, 12:13pm

Post #65 of 75 (429 views)
Shortcut
i stand by my earlier prediction [In reply to] Can't Post

it will be #1 until gangster squad (jan 11 US)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jan 1 2013, 1:11pm

Post #66 of 75 (398 views)
Shortcut
Tough to tell [In reply to] Can't Post

Number 1 next weekend could be Hobbit, could be Django, could be Texas Chainsaw Massacre. They will all be close together, probably.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Jan 1 2013, 1:12pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Jan 1 2013, 6:58pm

Post #67 of 75 (344 views)
Shortcut
That's kind of what I'm thinking [In reply to] Can't Post

If Django and Les Mis didn't get it this weekend I don't expect they will next weekend. Also, TCM is rated R and those don't normally end up #1 so I wouldn't worry about that. It's got decen legs it seems and should crack a billion at this point. So to me I think that makes it a success.

TheCoon
Lorien

Jan 1 2013, 9:18pm

Post #68 of 75 (311 views)
Shortcut
funny note on runtime/positive BO update [In reply to] Can't Post

went for my 2nd viewing unfortanly had to settle for my hometown thatere (meaning no HFR) b/c a diffrent person was driving and got us lost but as we went to get our popcorn this chick at the desk id say no older than me but prob younger says to us "enjoy the movie its a long one" i just rolled my eyes in my mind and moved on anway as the film started (12:30 EST) the cienma which id say was a decent sizer was still at least half full...my other firend whent back to get more candy but abaandoned it cause he said the lines were getting long!!!!!!!

and my town sucks for movie attendance anyway

AUJ still strong BOYS!!!!!! (and i thought ud enjoy the runtime comment too)

these people know all 3 LOTR were longer right?

(This post was edited by TheCoon on Jan 1 2013, 9:18pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Jan 1 2013, 9:37pm

Post #69 of 75 (277 views)
Shortcut
Run Time [In reply to] Can't Post

I do laugh at the run time comments considering this is the shortest film based on Middle-earth. I love this film and it just did not feel it was long enough.

MasterOrc
Rivendell

Jan 1 2013, 9:55pm

Post #70 of 75 (268 views)
Shortcut
No doubt... [In reply to] Can't Post

Could not agree more. Once they left the Shire the movie flew along. When it ended, I was like "Noooooooooooooo"... LOL!

In Reply To
I do laugh at the run time comments considering this is the shortest film based on Middle-earth. I love this film and it just did not feel it was long enough.

Elessar
Valinor

Jan 1 2013, 10:14pm

Post #71 of 75 (269 views)
Shortcut
Totally [In reply to] Can't Post

You could tell when the movie was coming to an end and all I thought was this is a trilogy marathon right? lol

shadowdog
Rohan

Jan 1 2013, 10:40pm

Post #72 of 75 (281 views)
Shortcut
Monday's Estimate [In reply to] Can't Post

Has the AUJ at: $6,953,000

That now has Domestic: $228,693,000
Overseas: $464,000,000
Worldwide: $692, 693,000

anthonyroy
Bree

Jan 2 2013, 2:16am

Post #73 of 75 (538 views)
Shortcut
Looks like it could hit $1 billion afterall, hopefully the leaked DVD screener won't affect box office [In reply to] Can't Post

Steven Van der Berg
Rivendell

Jan 2 2013, 5:11am

Post #74 of 75 (239 views)
Shortcut
I think it just may [In reply to] Can't Post

I had originally thought it might make around 830-850M WW, but I'm feeling more optimistic,now, and think it will crack 900M, with a possibility of reaching 1BM in the current markets; maybe as high as 1,050,000,000 , depending on how well it does in China.

(This post was edited by Steven Van der Berg on Jan 2 2013, 5:19am)

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Jan 2 2013, 2:56pm

Post #75 of 75 (160 views)
Shortcut
c'mon now [In reply to] Can't Post

this is just an unnecessary comment.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.