Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Excellent commentary. And largely accurate as well.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jan 2 2013, 11:57pm

Views: 77
Shortcut
Excellent commentary. And largely accurate as well. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
i had read a lot of the reviews. i try not to let that stuff color my opinions, but i did want to adjust my expectations. i wasn't too worried because i just kept seeing complaints about length and HFR, which are mostly non-factors for me, but being familiar with The Hobbit book i was expecting something not as good as LotR. much to my surprise, AUJ wasn't all that far off from that incredibly high standard. critics will be critics and in some ways a prequel enterprise is doomed from the start in terms of the prevalent critical perspective, but it is very, very difficult for me to understand the mixed or blatantly negative reactions from some fans who loved PJ's LotR movies. of course there are flaws in AUJ, but to me they are so small and mostly insignificant compared to the larger whole. the LotR movies had more than their share of issue and flaws, too, and yet people seem to gloss that over or are more forgiving because they are now so familiar with those movies and take more of the good than the bad when they watch them. for instance, there is absolutely nothing in AUJ that comes anywhere close to making me wince the way dark nuclear Galadriel or the cross-dissolve Uruk-Hai pursuit through the woods does in FotR, and yet FotR is one of my favorite movies ever!

i do feel like maybe there is some shift in the critical discourse. TDKR got mostly positive reviews but there was quite a vocal contingent of negativity that didn't like how serious the movie was. in the end, i think Hathaway and the conclusion of the film won it a lot of good favor...but it did not enjoy anywhere near the same kind of positive critical consensus that a much slighter film like The Avengers did. some critics even think Battleship is a better film than TDKR or AUJ, which is just ludicrous to me. it feels like, more and more, genre movies are looked down upon if they have real ambitions in terms of their storytelling and themes. like those things should be reserved for dramas and let the popcorn movies just focus on entertaining us as efficiently as possible. so you end up having the two polar opposities of the critic-proof spectrum, The Avengers and Zero Dark Thirty. i also feel like, right now, very little merit is being given to adaptations of popular properties, even if those adaptations are spectacularly well-done. i watched Les Mis yesterday and, i have to admit, i cried through almost 70% of the movie (maybe i'm getting softer as i get older, i dunno). and this is a movie that is getting even more of a middling or negative reaction from the critics than AUJ has. no, it's not anywhere near perfect and such a faithful translation of the musical doesn't always work as well as it could cinematically...but the story and music are as good as ever, the production values are top-notch, most of the performances are stellar and very intensely felt (particularly Hathaway and Jackman), and the film has a great integrity. but somehow these things, as you say, are no longer enough. critics now want everything more perfect, more inspired somehow, more more more than whatever it is they get when they have some pre-set expectations in hand.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Subject User Time
CNN: 'The Hobbit' One of the Top Ten Worst Movies of the Year?! News from Bree Send a private message to News from Bree Dec 31 2012, 8:18am
    CNN is one of the top ten WORST news organizations of the year Lindele Send a private message to Lindele Dec 31 2012, 2:27pm
    The one thing we can do to counter this fool sauget.diblosio Send a private message to sauget.diblosio Dec 31 2012, 2:28pm
        is not to feed mefansmum Jan 1 2013, 3:21am
    How absolutely ridiculous ! ltnjmy Send a private message to ltnjmy Dec 31 2012, 3:02pm
    To place it as number 1... KilroyMcFadden Send a private message to KilroyMcFadden Dec 31 2012, 3:30pm
        no unexpectedvisitor Send a private message to unexpectedvisitor Dec 31 2012, 3:55pm
    You are just making things worse by posting this article on the front page Crunchable Birdses Send a private message to Crunchable Birdses Dec 31 2012, 4:34pm
        the hobbit is a dissapointment. Norc Send a private message to Norc Dec 31 2012, 6:11pm
            So... Crunchable Birdses Send a private message to Crunchable Birdses Dec 31 2012, 6:35pm
            I don't think killing an Orc makes one a murderer in ME... Captain Salt Send a private message to Captain Salt Dec 31 2012, 10:39pm
                Well, it would be murder if an orc were sitting, minding his business, eating fish down by the river AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Jan 2 2013, 1:40am
            Your opinion. :) marillaraina Send a private message to marillaraina Jan 1 2013, 7:45am
            agreed cobalt358 Send a private message to cobalt358 Jan 1 2013, 8:18am
    I do consider it an awful film Nightwing Send a private message to Nightwing Dec 31 2012, 6:33pm
        "awful" unexpectedvisitor Send a private message to unexpectedvisitor Jan 2 2013, 4:58pm
    You know you've read enough reviews Rostron2 Send a private message to Rostron2 Dec 31 2012, 6:36pm
        Yes, Outliers (or should it be Out-Liars ;0). Bladerunner Send a private message to Bladerunner Dec 31 2012, 7:06pm
    THE HOBBIT is one of my ten worst films of 2012. N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Dec 31 2012, 7:50pm
        well, fair enough! unexpectedvisitor Send a private message to unexpectedvisitor Dec 31 2012, 7:54pm
    this person needs to get his head examined MouthofSauron Send a private message to MouthofSauron Dec 31 2012, 9:55pm
    Hater are gonna hate RhodeCamelot Send a private message to RhodeCamelot Jan 1 2013, 5:54am
    "Just as good" has become "not good enough" percy Send a private message to percy Jan 1 2013, 8:00am
        Hear, Hear! // Alcarcalime Send a private message to Alcarcalime Jan 1 2013, 4:25pm
        It's in my top ten best! TengwarJunkie Send a private message to TengwarJunkie Jan 1 2013, 4:34pm
        Excellent summation. There were some flaws, but flaws of the same sort existed in the earlier movie trilogy AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Jan 2 2013, 1:55am
        hear hear unexpectedvisitor Send a private message to unexpectedvisitor Jan 2 2013, 5:21pm
            Excellent commentary. And largely accurate as well. AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Jan 2 2013, 11:57pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.