Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
"Factual" error?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

MistyMountain
Lorien

Dec 31 2012, 9:48pm

Post #26 of 36 (181 views)
Shortcut
I object! [In reply to] Can't Post

Despite the petty annoyances, I do love all the films (so far). The older members here can attest to my dedication to Tolkien AND PJ's vision for the films. For those members wondering what has become of me since last we spoke, I unfortunately lost my cafe, the Misty Mountain Bakery Cafe, to foreclosure this past spring. The economy killed my dream. And my choice to place it in the stunning, but sparsely populated, wilderness of the Adirondack Mountains probably didn't help. If there are any wealthy TORn members interested in buying a lovely cafe with the hard-carved floor of Meduseld and Elvish writing over the door, let me know -- it is still for sale :-( -- cheap!

As for the small factual errors, they do not spoil the films. I just have to wonder WHY?
I actually quite liked a number of changes PJ made, even ones I thought improved on the story (sorry Professor). But these tiny mistakes just have me baffled.

patrickk
Rohan

Dec 31 2012, 11:30pm

Post #27 of 36 (198 views)
Shortcut
Having Kili and Fili as youngest woeldn't quite work on film [In reply to] Can't Post

I know Kili and Fili are the youngest in the book but having Ori the geeky one works better on film (youngest and slightly hapless) than the twins as they are the resident heart throbs and Thorin's body guard, and in no way hapless or inexperienced.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 31 2012, 11:31pm

Post #28 of 36 (190 views)
Shortcut
Fili and Kili aren't twins [In reply to] Can't Post

Fili is the older one.

Smile

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Dec 31 2012, 11:32pm)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 31 2012, 11:50pm

Post #29 of 36 (171 views)
Shortcut
Yes, but they made them that way. [In reply to] Can't Post

Why did they design his character that way, and cast him that way? Why even make a point of it? Why can't your heart-throb dwarves be the youngest? They created this out of thin air when they didn't have to.

MistyMountain
Lorien

Jan 1 2013, 12:30am

Post #30 of 36 (148 views)
Shortcut
My point exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact, having Kili threatened with torture would have had a greater emotional response among the female audience (sorry Adam Brown).

DanielLB
Immortal

Jan 1 2013, 12:35am

Post #31 of 36 (165 views)
Shortcut
Since Fili and Kili are major characters already.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps they've made Ori the youngest to add to his character. Fili and Kili are going to have a lot of screentime, and their deaths are going to have an impact on the audience. Although making Ori the youngest has very little change on the story, it does give the character more of a ... well ... characterisation. There's not much point making the point of Kili being the youngest, when he already has a lot of screentime?

Does that make any sense?

Crazy

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 1 2013, 2:04am

Post #32 of 36 (198 views)
Shortcut
No, he's not the youngest [In reply to] Can't Post

As others have stated, the Great Goblin has no idea who's the youngest. To him, Ori looks like he is, because he's the most naive looking one in the group. And, naturally, Ori would react because he's the youngest of his brothers. Plus, you'd react too if someone pointed their finger at you as being the first to be tortured, regardless of age ranking.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jan 1 2013, 3:00am

Post #33 of 36 (126 views)
Shortcut
Well there's that scene in the movie [In reply to] Can't Post

with the Great Goblin, but it's also been mentioned in interviews that Ori's the youngest, one with Adam Brown i believe.

Ultimately it's not a huge deal, just kind of annoying, and, along with a few other changes, i fear indicative of PJ and Co.'s attitude adapting The Hobbit and Tolkiens greater history, which i don't think was there with LotR. I hope we'll find with the remaining two films that i'm wrong.

malla
Bree

Jan 1 2013, 3:28am

Post #34 of 36 (126 views)
Shortcut
youngest? [In reply to] Can't Post

I just figured that a fat, old, ugly goblin king wouldn't know what a young dwarf looked like. Since Ori has less facial hair that some of the others, and from the front, his hair appears short (short bangs) , he just looks young. He was standing in front of others. I just figured he was the "lucky" one to be picked on. Never thought of this as a mistake of Peter and crew.....just a mistake by a stupid goblin.

Tenna' ento lye omenta,
Malla

Chilled in Hithlum

Jan 1 2013, 3:34am

Post #35 of 36 (150 views)
Shortcut
Youngest dwarf and disneyfication [In reply to] Can't Post

Ori it seems was the 'Dopey' of the bunch and that's why in AUJ he is classified as the youngest. A side question: why did Kili and Fili actors escape prosthetics and look more like rangers of the north?

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Jan 1 2013, 4:06am

Post #36 of 36 (152 views)
Shortcut
They inherited their lack of prosthetics [In reply to] Can't Post

from their Uncle Thorin.

" Well well!", said a voice. "Just look! Bilbo the hobbit on a pony, my dear! Isn't it delicious!"
"Most astonishing wonderful!"

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.