Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Silly Spam thread: Got a great one today :D

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Dec 31 2012, 3:10am

Post #1 of 8 (129 views)
Shortcut
Silly Spam thread: Got a great one today :D Can't Post

How's this for a subject line?

"Subject: Re Urgent (Can We Ever Really Trust Each Other in this business?)"

Well, that was irresistible, so I did that right-click-view-message-source thing Hotmail has, and among other things (in a very long email), there were some wonderful gems. Any takers?ShockedWinkEvilAngelic

"This business is all about money transaction. I has been searching for a advanced/developing country with economic and political stability to invest this amount. I have go through your profile and I believed that you will be of a great assistance to me considering your position and experience in Business management."

Yep, us music teachers swim with the corporate sharks every Tuesday over Bach and chocolates. (Actually that sounds pretty good!Cool)

Then there's the scary part about how the money is coming from a deceased Libyan Prime Minister who was not able to transfer his funds out in time, and the spam sender saying after "confirming [the Libyan official's] his death" (wonder how!!!Shocked) the message goes on to say "I have not forwarded the information to the bank managements. am keeping everything as top secrets within myself till after the verification. This is a golden opportunity for us to establish our own leavings. I have decided to contact you in order to assist me for execution of the deal."

There is more. Much more. But I am Leaving(s). I am Going Now. He'll have to find someone else to assist with (or be the victim of?) the ... execution.
CrazyWink

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Dec 31 2012, 4:26am

Post #2 of 8 (63 views)
Shortcut
I get a lot in other languages. [In reply to] Can't Post

Like this: 请在这里编辑主题...深圳航球进出口报关有限公司‏

and this: 免费领取日本DHC化妆品试用装,共4件,免邮费‏

and this: Movistar rompe los precios, Oferta para siempre, solo unos dias‏

and this: Evento Inaugurale Il Giglio - Aggiornarsi a Firenze, Dott. Mauro Fradeani, Hotel Sheraton Firenze, 19 Gennaio 2013‏

Don't have any handy in Hebrew or Turkish, but I get those too.

As far as silly English subject lines, here are a few:

Release Your Soul with Jennifer Aniston‏

Search Profiles For Hot Wives Now‏

and my favorite: I don't have a witty subject line for this‏

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 31 2012, 4:28am

Post #3 of 8 (76 views)
Shortcut
Release your soul, eh? [In reply to] Can't Post

That doesn't sound creepy or anything Unimpressed

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 31 2012, 5:00am

Post #4 of 8 (67 views)
Shortcut
But what about the manservant? [In reply to] Can't Post

It can't be authentic if you are not asked to take care of him in return for *storing* some cash. Sly

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 31 2012, 10:09am

Post #5 of 8 (54 views)
Shortcut
That is hilarious! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you respond to them ASAP, you wouldn't want to miss a chance like this! Wink

I just checked my spam folder and was disappointed by the lack of spam! I have 4, and all the headings are using foreign characters/letters.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

silneldor
Half-elven

Dec 31 2012, 2:17pm

Post #6 of 8 (47 views)
Shortcut
Count me in! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is great. I just got a great deal on a bridge this week so this will 'finish' me off. I got cher a dollar 3.80 fer ya....That's all i got left. .........unless i can use all those collector's edition wooden nickels i bought last week for a buck a piece *sporting Red Skelton expression*

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Dec 31 2012, 3:49pm

Post #7 of 8 (36 views)
Shortcut
Any message with "Libyan" and "execution" in it makes me nervous. [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if your correspondent "confirmed the Libyan official's death" by actually causing it. Shocked

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 31 2012, 4:05pm

Post #8 of 8 (62 views)
Shortcut
The only spam I seem to get... [In reply to] Can't Post

...is for *ahem* physical enhancements. There's a reason I have my spam filter set to main and kill.

I have gotten a message or two purporting to be from friends and neighbors who've been mugged in a foreign country, and please wire money, etc. One of those came in two minutes after I saw the neighbor who supposedly sent the e-mail walk past the house Tongue

The internet is the modern-day equivalent of the wild west, I fear.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.