Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Box Office #'s
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sharpened_graphite
Rivendell

Dec 30 2012, 9:18pm

Post #26 of 48 (419 views)
Shortcut
Almost 700 million... [In reply to] Can't Post

Which is pretty darn good. The Hobbit may be slower in gaining speed than the Avengers or Dark Knight, but I think it deserves to be more successful than such stuff as Skyfall (tho' I say this mostly because I'm no fan of Bond and the values he espouses (I haven't seen the movie nor I wish to, struggling with Ian Fleming's writing was enough!), I'd rather hang out with loud and hard drinking dwarves than suave British spies anyday).

Elessar
Valinor

Dec 30 2012, 9:33pm

Post #27 of 48 (359 views)
Shortcut
Glad it was packed [In reply to] Can't Post

This movie is fantastic and should be seen by the masses IMO.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 30 2012, 9:44pm

Post #28 of 48 (347 views)
Shortcut
Is this the Manchester one? [In reply to] Can't Post

Pretty disappointed I've not been in a packed cinema. Unsure Where is everyone? All seats were taken for ROTK!

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 30 2012, 10:50pm

Post #29 of 48 (339 views)
Shortcut
Skyfall has just exceeded $1 billion [In reply to] Can't Post

2 and a bit months after it was released. It will be interesting to see what AUJ is at in February.

Link

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

imin
Valinor

Dec 30 2012, 10:56pm

Post #30 of 48 (320 views)
Shortcut
One in Sheffield [In reply to] Can't Post

At cineworld - they have done some work on the biggest screens there when they introduced IMAX, i think it holds 1500 used to hold about 700 but they have kinda extended it backwards - row after row! and it was really packed - but then it was rammed when i went to see it on opening day to.

The difference is that everyone who went to see it today had to pay way more money for the IMAX, plus it was the first time in my life i had to pay full price for a ticket (my student card ran out) so i was a bit shocked that it cost 13.10 pounds!

(This post was edited by imin on Dec 30 2012, 10:57pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 30 2012, 11:24pm

Post #31 of 48 (310 views)
Shortcut
Funny... [In reply to] Can't Post

....how some people can come up with 100 reasons why the Hobbit is a dissapointment at the BO but they refuse totally to look at all the reasons why it might not be so fast in hitting the 1.000.000.000 (reasons I cannot really be bothered to write down AGAIN).

But there are also people looking at it the other way round. The other extreme.

So maybe this makes it fair again.

;)

BeornBerserker
Lorien

Dec 30 2012, 11:27pm

Post #32 of 48 (322 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit: AUJ closing on 700 million [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.boxoffice.com/latest-news/2012-12-14-the-hobbit-an-unexpected-journey-bags-13-million-at-midnight

TheCoon
Lorien

Dec 30 2012, 11:41pm

Post #33 of 48 (313 views)
Shortcut
calling it now [In reply to] Can't Post

it will be #1 until gangster squad (jan 11 US)

Welsh hero
Gondor

Dec 30 2012, 11:42pm

Post #34 of 48 (311 views)
Shortcut
The hobbit now 8 for the year [In reply to] Can't Post

with $686.7 mil

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

imin
Valinor

Dec 31 2012, 12:01am

Post #35 of 48 (292 views)
Shortcut
It really has picked up pace the past week or so [In reply to] Can't Post

I was a bit disappointed it wasnt doing as well as i expected when it was first released but now it looks like its up and running and making some good amounts of money. If it can keep going to around $1.2 billion then i think that would cover all costs for production and marketing (approx) leaving the final two for profit.

Ultimately that doesnt matter to me as i make no money from it but with the extra ticket prices i felt it should out do the previous trilogy and it looks like it might now come close to those figures if things keep up as they are.

ashonmytomatoes
Bree

Dec 31 2012, 12:26am

Post #36 of 48 (250 views)
Shortcut
4:10 show sold out [In reply to] Can't Post

here in Louisiana, so my fourth viewing will have to wait until tomorrow. :-)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 31 2012, 12:27am

Post #37 of 48 (286 views)
Shortcut
It'll have another good week [In reply to] Can't Post

Not nearly as great as last week but still a pretty good week due to some remaining holidays. But after that it's gonna drop hard as things go back to normal.

A week ago i was fairly sceptical but now i can see it doing a billion. $1.2b, however, is definitely out of reach. It may limp to somewhere close to $1.1b but i wouldn't bet on it.

Ref
Rivendell

Dec 31 2012, 12:44am

Post #38 of 48 (258 views)
Shortcut
RE: Sharpened_Graphite [In reply to] Can't Post

Off-Topic, but Skyfall is one hell of a film - it is so much more than your average Bond film. The only fault I had with it was the music by Thomas Newman, much preferred David Arnold's musical themes for Bond.

And if Skyfall doesn't win awards for Cinematography then it's a travesty - the shots are just exquisite.

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

*~* Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week *~*

Icon made by the talented dark_jackal32

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 31 2012, 1:18am

Post #39 of 48 (280 views)
Shortcut
Estel, i wonder if there'll ever come a point [In reply to] Can't Post

when you'll stop saying that The Hobbit is underperforming or not meeting expectations or not being an out and out success? 1.5 billion? 2 billion? I guess every conversation has to have it's contrarian.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 31 2012, 1:22am

Post #40 of 48 (263 views)
Shortcut
I had it doing $1.3b at least. [In reply to] Can't Post

So when it hits that i'll stop saying that.

Ceres_the_Dwarf_(planet)
The Shire

Dec 31 2012, 3:45am

Post #41 of 48 (273 views)
Shortcut
Since AUJ will not hit 1.3billion... [In reply to] Can't Post

...you're committed to your position as long as the movie's box office perfomance is discussed on this forum.

Anywaay, you talk about expectations but expectations change as events develop. Since there were a string of days where AUJ's performance was hewing alarmingly close to I Am Legend's box office (talking North American totals), I think a measure of positivity is warranted now that it looks like AUJ will pass IAL relatively soon.

It does look increasingly likely that AUJ will pass 300 mil. domestic and 900 mil. worldwide; although I have no way to know for sure, I believe this will be good enough that Jackson will be able to have his way in terms of budget for the additional filming & extended editions. That's really all that matters to me, because I want the see the movies/extended editions exactly as Jackson intends them to be.

About this movie underperforming when issues like adjusted dollars and 3d are factored in, comfort yourself that the vast majority of the public will never hear about any of that. For most people all they will hear about AUJ this week as they're driviing to work, or whatever, is that it held the number one spot for the third weekend in row. These kind of benchmarks (AUJ holding the largest December opening record being another) are the kinds of things that penetrate the consciousness of Joe Public. Unadjusted versus Adjusted belongs to the realm of the fanboy-and studio execs, of course, but hey, they're the ones who greenlighted the HFR thing - look in the mirror, fatcats, look in the mirror!

(BTW, if Peter Jackson wants to dig in his heels on high frame rate by having TDOS screened in 48fps for critics, the studio should cheerfully tell Sir Peter to go take hike!)

Joe Public's perception is important because it feeds into how TDOS performs next December.. If AUJ was viewed as an underperforming turkey, things would look relatively bleak for film two. Thankfully, the word-of-mouth appears to be winning out over the avalanche of bad reviews. Some decent legs appear to be developing. You could choose to focus on that positive development rather than dwell on the underperformance against initial expectations.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Dec 31 2012, 4:06am)

Ceres_the_Dwarf_(planet)
The Shire

Dec 31 2012, 4:08am

Post #42 of 48 (217 views)
Shortcut
Why didn't my previous post... [In reply to] Can't Post

...bump this thread to the top of page one? Unsure

(just kidding about that smiley!)

But seriously, a reply should bump a thread to the top.

(This post was edited by Ceres_the_Dwarf_(planet) on Dec 31 2012, 4:11am)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 31 2012, 4:16am

Post #43 of 48 (215 views)
Shortcut
This forum doesn't bump posts [In reply to] Can't Post

based on activity. Our default setup is to sort by the date the original post was created, so new messages don't bump it to the top. You can change the appearance by clicking on the Age (creation) link in the upper-left to be Age (activity) but that selection disappears when you leave the page - it can not be set as the default.

Ceres_the_Dwarf_(planet)
The Shire

Dec 31 2012, 4:23am

Post #44 of 48 (227 views)
Shortcut
Okay, and Thanks,,, [In reply to] Can't Post

...for the quick reply. BTW, my other post flowed better *before* your edits but I understand you have a job to do.

moreorless
Rohan

Dec 31 2012, 7:03am

Post #45 of 48 (175 views)
Shortcut
Moreso than normal here though I feel... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It is rare that they like a big, mainstream movie (i.e. Skyfall), and if they do they seem conflicted about it. A lot of top ten lists I've seen have at least five movies I've never heard of (and I like to think I am up on that sort of thing). Sometimes it seems like they pick movies because they are obscure.

Hobbit had a good Cinemascore from the get go. And I really like the dwarf songs a lot more than "I Dreamed a Dream."

I get the sense that the knives were out for AUJ well before critics actually saw it with the general backlast agenst 3D and other new mediums though plus the very high standards Jackson is held to post LOTR.

The Hobbit for me was always going to struggle to reach LOTR level; of cinema simpley because of its source material however I do think you can argue it may actually have a boarder appeal. In the US I don't think LOTR made quite the same impact as Starwars simpley because the weighty tone was off putting to many viewers, some loved it but many loathed it.

The Hobbit is really much more typical blockbuster fair, compaired to the leads in LOTR Freeman has a much more open character and theres really never a long wait for something interesting to happen

Chainsaw Charlie
Bree

Dec 31 2012, 7:28am

Post #46 of 48 (206 views)
Shortcut
Terrible numbers. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
A week ago i was fairly sceptical but now i can see it doing a billion. $1.2b,

Only 1.2 billion? That really is a huge disappointment. Ask the experts.

moreorless
Rohan

Dec 31 2012, 9:07am

Post #47 of 48 (179 views)
Shortcut
Personally I'd question those expectations aswell.. [In reply to] Can't Post

In terms of the US boxoffice espeically I think its always been overestimated just how wide an appeal LOTR actually had, it did well yes but not on the level of something like the Dark Knight even with inflation taken into account, add to that I think LOTR benefited from alot of repeat viewings from a hardcore fanbase. Compaired to Batman LOTR sucess was really built more on its performance in europe and I think were seeing that reflected again with 2/3rds of the takings looking likely to come from non US markets.

As you say my main concern is that it does "well enough" to avoid any problems for Jackson in terms of extra budget and to me it looks like thats going to happen with $800+ million seemingly likely.

"Good legs" is really a double edged sword for studios though I'd guess, on one hand it does reduce there income as they generally get more of the opening weeks taking but on the other it does generally point to good word of mouth and a good opening for a sequal. One group of people want should be happy if AUJ can show FOTR like legs are I'd guess going to be cinema owners, I remember back in the day alot of smaller owners claiming FOTR provided them with a massive boost that helped to keep them in business.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Dec 31 2012, 11:25pm

Post #48 of 48 (127 views)
Shortcut
A fair amount of truth there. Rings also benefited heavily from the critical raving and [In reply to] Can't Post

repeated Academy Awards nods, even before the full slew of wins. Oscar nominations, even pre-win, cause many people to see movies they would not otherwise have invested in. So even though Fellowship and Towers did not win Best Picture, and their nominations may have only been ceremonial procedure to lead up to what everyone expected to be and many Academy members clearly intended to be a crowning of the series by awarding Return, those films still benefited at the box office for having their names put in contention for the Academy Award in the first place. The nomination affirmed "great movie," in the minds of many casual film goers, so even some stragglers got out and saw it.

There was a lot of good will towards Rings, and as the poster above you mentioned, the opposite is largely true for The Hobbit, it seems. It was, in terms of quality, a better movie than Avengers (which was good), but it has, from many critics, been getting none of the leeway Avengers received, and all of the intensive scrutiny that it didn't.

In Reply To
In terms of the US boxoffice espeically I think its always been overestimated just how wide an appeal LOTR actually had, it did well yes but not on the level of something like the Dark Knight even with inflation taken into account, add to that I think LOTR benefited from alot of repeat viewings from a hardcore fanbase. Compaired to Batman LOTR sucess was really built more on its performance in europe and I think were seeing that reflected again with 2/3rds of the takings looking likely to come from non US markets.

As you say my main concern is that it does "well enough" to avoid any problems for Jackson in terms of extra budget and to me it looks like thats going to happen with $800+ million seemingly likely.

"Good legs" is really a double edged sword for studios though I'd guess, on one hand it does reduce there income as they generally get more of the opening weeks taking but on the other it does generally point to good word of mouth and a good opening for a sequal. One group of people want should be happy if AUJ can show FOTR like legs are I'd guess going to be cinema owners, I remember back in the day alot of smaller owners claiming FOTR provided them with a massive boost that helped to keep them in business.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.