Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
If Peter Jackson took his films seriously -then others would!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Rostron2
Gondor

Jan 1 2013, 6:00pm

Post #101 of 105 (177 views)
Shortcut
Quote from Rolling Stone Magazine [In reply to] Can't Post

This is somewhat out of context with the argument here, what Jackson really means is that he's had to fight to do films his whole career. However, the quote is still somewhat revealing of his creative inner voice:

"I make movies for myself. I'm not somebody that has a great deal of interest in what the world wants to see."

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jan 1 2013, 6:12pm

Post #102 of 105 (177 views)
Shortcut
Regarding Jackson's quotation [In reply to] Can't Post

I do think a healthy degree of apathy is in order when making a film. Obviously, it's impossible to create a film that pleases everyone, so I don't think any director should go in with the idea of just doing what the audience wants. Who's to say what the audience wants?

However, it can't just be total apathy, especially when adapting from source material. I think it's important for any director to first take the material and try to tell the story as best as possible, while also making the movie they want. It's all about balance, IMO.

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

Chainsaw Charlie
Bree

Jan 1 2013, 7:53pm

Post #103 of 105 (159 views)
Shortcut
He didn't miss the point. At all. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think you have missed the point. The fact is, these films are classics of film history. They are remembered because they have all the hallmarks of lasting the test of time, ie, people love them. ...

The Hobbit is already being loved. Check audience reaction and returnees.

In Reply To
My argument is that I really dont think TH will stand the test of time

Wrong. Your argument is a canard moving the goalposts. You challenged us to name ONE classic fantasy movie with silly stuff like a belch, and you were given more than one. His point is correct, as is mine: You can nitpick ANY classic movie to death, if you are cynical enough and so-inclined.

And since you ARE so-inclined, here's a comparison between Hobbit: AUJ and YOUR first "classic" selection, Legend, and the li'l bit about "ie people loving them"...

IMDB comparison:

LEGEND (1985)
Rating: 6.2/10 - 29408 votes

THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY (2012)
Rating: 8.4/10 - 143192 votes

You can also check the Rotten Tomatoes rating on Legend --- Positive reviews are 50% (hint: that's ROTTEN).

(This post was edited by Chainsaw Charlie on Jan 1 2013, 8:00pm)

cobalt358

Jan 1 2013, 8:15pm

Post #104 of 105 (148 views)
Shortcut
i'm with you [In reply to] Can't Post

it's impossible to say right now if The Hobbit is going to stand the test of time, but i didn't feel that i was watching a classic when i saw it, not the same way i did when i saw LotR. just a bombastic, leave-your-brain-at-the-door, popcorn flick. not that there's not room for those, but it really didn't come across as anything amazing or memorable. there's still 2 movies to go so who can say where it's all going to end up, i personally can only hope it gets better.

this is a fan site anyway so dissenting opinions are always going to be in a minority, everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, though i really have a hard time seeing how anyone could say it's better than FotR, that really boggles my mind. the Transformers films made loads of money too, so just because AUJ is popular now doesn't mean a whole lot.

it seems that these days the measure of success is how many internet memes a film can generate.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Jan 1 2013, 10:49pm

Post #105 of 105 (168 views)
Shortcut
hi Cobalt [In reply to] Can't Post

yes It is sad but I think its true. The Hobbit will fade into nothing. LOTR has already stood up brilliantly over 10 years and thats like dog years, thats a a long time in film making. LOTR is still great to watch, and people hold it up as quality, but the Hobbit was too derivative even the music score seemed second hand.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.