Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Another look at Radagast's bunny sled
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 29 2012, 10:25pm

Post #26 of 43 (200 views)
Shortcut
aha (will go read the new one) [In reply to] Can't Post

wow. just... wow.

That was something. In a good way. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Dec 29 2012, 10:30pm)

Briar
The Shire

Dec 29 2012, 10:41pm

Post #27 of 43 (197 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

That was wonderful, swordwhale!

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Dec 29 2012, 11:52pm

Post #28 of 43 (194 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the links dernwyn [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember reading Darkstone's post (it should be stickied somewhere, it's quite interesting) at the time I joined the forums and feeling bit more optimistic about the sleigh and appearance as they both seem to have roots in Nordic myth which is quite suitable considering Tolkien studied such myths and culture.

I would be a bit surprised if Weta did not know about these stories during the development of the films.

Yes, my username is terrible.

(This post was edited by TheSexyBeard on Dec 29 2012, 11:53pm)

sevilodorf
Gondor

Dec 30 2012, 12:32am

Post #29 of 43 (183 views)
Shortcut
in other words just enough credibility to make it possible [In reply to] Can't Post

It doesn't have to be 100% ... just enough to say there are reasons it would work. I can imagine someone on the story team suggesting a bunny sled and others just staring and then someone going.... wait wait and googling the heck out of everything and contacting someone in Alaska or Antarctica and saying would this be conceivably possible... and the guy on the other end of the line going... well maybe.... That maybe would be enough

Anyway as an aside my father also tells stories of using a stone sledge to do farmwork in West Virginia and even a quick made sled from branches

A passage from his memories:
Since “Make your own or do without” was the rule we lived by, Daddy and us boys worked as a team using a sled handmade from forked hard wood branches. Two branches taken from a hickory or sourwood tree were laid side by side. On the front, holes would be bored to attach the singletree for the horse. Boards would be attached crossways to form the framework for the box. Side boards were added to make a box two or three feet deep. The rear section of the box would be removable and slid into place. The sled was kept reasonably small so that one horse could easily manage to pull the weight between the rows of corn. Better to make two trips that to give your horse a hernia.

Have to wonder if he ever considered using rabbits?

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

Randraug
The Shire

Dec 30 2012, 1:22am

Post #30 of 43 (164 views)
Shortcut
Magic [In reply to] Can't Post

The answer to all inconsistencies and impossibilities is magic Sly

"There's nothing wrong with being a loser, it just depends on how good you are at it."
~BJA~

morgul lord
Rivendell

Dec 30 2012, 1:33am

Post #31 of 43 (181 views)
Shortcut
I loved the bunny sled [In reply to] Can't Post

I think people are being way too critical. I mean, in the book animals are serving at the dinner table in Beorn's house. That's wayyyy more over the top. The bunny sled was cute and super cool.

imin
Valinor

Dec 30 2012, 1:47am

Post #32 of 43 (177 views)
Shortcut
Are people disliking the fact its bunnies than say dogs? [In reply to] Can't Post

Or are people disliking the way it looked on screen? Or both?

For myself i think it looked alright when still but in the chase with the wargs it didnt look like the CGI was finished or just not very good, floated over the scene and went at a comically fast speed.

At the end of the day though it is less over the top (imo) than animals on hind legs serving food etc. I think for PJ's ME they will probably leave out the animals at Beorns house. Will be interesting to see what they do!

The Mitch King
Rohan

Dec 30 2012, 4:59am

Post #33 of 43 (171 views)
Shortcut
Oh man... [In reply to] Can't Post

Beorn's animals could wreck the whole movie for me if it is just like the book in the movie. Too Disney for me. Unsure

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Dec 30 2012, 5:22am

Post #34 of 43 (160 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic post! Thanks for sharing your insights! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've taken a bit of interest in dog-sledding since my cousin married into the Mackey family. Love the comparisons between the bunny sled and real dog sledding. Neat that what those Rhosgobel bunnies and Radagast do together is at least plausible.

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Dec 30 2012, 6:44am

Post #35 of 43 (158 views)
Shortcut
I was not a fan of the idea when it first came up and the movie [In reply to] Can't Post

scenes, IMHO, take a marginally believable mode of transportation and go waaaay over the top. Sure, I could accept such a sleigh being used over favorable terrain...snow...but not through tangled forest and up and down grassland etc. Wjhy did he race back toward the dwarves if he was trying to divert the orcs, especially if he was using Istari powers to help with transportion, as some have suggested. It was just another bit of excess that infused this film. I look forward to the next two installments and hope they are more constrained in such devices. No more falls from 500 feet without injury. No more blows to the head by a huge Azog mace without a crushed skull *Thorin etc.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Dec 30 2012, 6:45am)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Dec 30 2012, 4:23pm

Post #36 of 43 (127 views)
Shortcut
beyond cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It doesn't have to be 100% ... just enough to say there are reasons it would work. I can imagine someone on the story team suggesting a bunny sled and others just staring and then someone going.... wait wait and googling the heck out of everything and contacting someone in Alaska or Antarctica and saying would this be conceivably possible... and the guy on the other end of the line going... well maybe.... That maybe would be enough

Anyway as an aside my father also tells stories of using a stone sledge to do farmwork in West Virginia and even a quick made sled from branches

A passage from his memories:
Since “Make your own or do without” was the rule we lived by, Daddy and us boys worked as a team using a sled handmade from forked hard wood branches. Two branches taken from a hickory or sourwood tree were laid side by side. On the front, holes would be bored to attach the singletree for the horse. Boards would be attached crossways to form the framework for the box. Side boards were added to make a box two or three feet deep. The rear section of the box would be removable and slid into place. The sled was kept reasonably small so that one horse could easily manage to pull the weight between the rows of corn. Better to make two trips that to give your horse a hernia.

Have to wonder if he ever considered using rabbits?

That was awesome!

Go outside and play...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Dec 30 2012, 4:26pm

Post #37 of 43 (128 views)
Shortcut
Mackey, the wizard of Mushing [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I've taken a bit of interest in dog-sledding since my cousin married into the Mackey family. Love the comparisons between the bunny sled and real dog sledding. Neat that what those Rhosgobel bunnies and Radagast do together is at least plausible.

THAT Mackey? The one that won the Iditarod (mumblemumble) 4? times in a row?

Recreational mushing/scootering/bike-joring is actually really simple: one dog and a set of wheels will do. Any dog who likes to run. Any size. Two is better (while one is going SQUIRREL! the other is still going straight ahead). Amuses the dogs, and the person riding the bike or scooter. I like to encourage people with dogs (which is most of them) to try it.

Go outside and play...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Dec 30 2012, 4:40pm

Post #38 of 43 (127 views)
Shortcut
over the top [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
scenes, IMHO, take a marginally believable mode of transportation and go waaaay over the top. Sure, I could accept such a sleigh being used over favorable terrain...snow...but not through tangled forest and up and down grassland etc. Wjhy did he race back toward the dwarves if he was trying to divert the orcs, especially if he was using Istari powers to help with transportion, as some have suggested. It was just another bit of excess that infused this film. I look forward to the next two installments and hope they are more constrained in such devices. No more falls from 500 feet without injury. No more blows to the head by a huge Azog mace without a crushed skull *Thorin etc.

The first time I saw the Hobbit I felt like some of the action was over the top (I actually saw someone do that move which inspred the cliche' on a tall ship, it is quite extraordinary).

Then I thought about it, and saw it again (in HFR). Still a bit exaggerated. Then I thought about the tone of the book; much more humorous, much more "faerie tale". The film reflects that tone.

Then there is the cast. In LOTR, we had two humans, four Hobbits, and some tougher immortal/semi-immortal types who mostly stayed in the background and shot arrows and thumped orcs with axes and fought the odd balrog.

Enter thirteen Dwarves into Bilbo's house. One Hobbit, and they're pretty tough... 13, count'em 13 Dwarves, stone-hard, nearly semi-immortal superstrong superhuman long-enduring Dwarves. If you've ever watched a terrier (like a Jack Russel) tell off a much larger dog... or known a ferret (mine used to leap on my 65 pound dog and the dog deferred)... or a Shetland Pony (a Force of Nature for sure), you understand Dwarves. It's like Shetland Pony to the nth power.

So when the action seems a bit over the top, or when I find myself going, "Crap, nobody would survive that!" I remember, we are not talking mere mortals here, we are talking Dwarves. That's one of the points of a fantasy world, you can exaggerate, go over the top, create amazing tall tales. As long as there are roots in reality, it works.

Hobbit does have a subtly different tone than LOTR, but for me, at least, it's kind of wonderful.

about that mace... maybe Thorin ducked and it was a glancing blow... think I'll go look again....

Go outside and play...

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Dec 30 2012, 7:54pm

Post #39 of 43 (123 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, that one. :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe my cousin now gets to call him Uncle Lance. The wedding pictures (two years ago, in Alaska, and no, I wasn't there) were pretty funny: my cousin's side of the family: tame, respectable, and (dare I say it?) rather boring-looking. The Mackey side? Wild, unkempt, and altogether disreputable-looking. I think she made a good choice. :-)

When I was young, I had a springer spaniel named Clyde, and I was determined he was going to be a sled dog. I stitched together a harness for him with some jingle-bells attached, hitched him in some jerry-rigged way to a neat old-fashioned sled with metal runners that I had, made some effort at teaching him what "hike", "gee", and "haw" meant (didn't need "whoa", as I weighed about as much as he did and it was easy enough to stop him if needed), and off we went down a snow-packed little-used road near our house. Such fun! In the summers I got him to pull me on my skateboard. He never was very enthusiastic about the sled dog treatment but he humored me. :-)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Dec 31 2012, 7:04pm

Post #40 of 43 (111 views)
Shortcut
Norse myth... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I remember reading Darkstone's post (it should be stickied somewhere, it's quite interesting) at the time I joined the forums and feeling bit more optimistic about the sleigh and appearance as they both seem to have roots in Nordic myth which is quite suitable considering Tolkien studied such myths and culture.

I would be a bit surprised if Weta did not know about these stories during the development of the films.

Well, Thor drove a couple of goats (which I have also done, the Dwarf size goat fits nicely in the average X-back harness)... and Freyja drives a chariot pulled by cats. Yes cats. LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

Go outside and play...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Dec 31 2012, 7:09pm

Post #41 of 43 (91 views)
Shortcut
skating spaniels and (sigh) Uncle Lance! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I believe my cousin now gets to call him Uncle Lance. The wedding pictures (two years ago, in Alaska, and no, I wasn't there) were pretty funny: my cousin's side of the family: tame, respectable, and (dare I say it?) rather boring-looking. The Mackey side? Wild, unkempt, and altogether disreputable-looking. I think she made a good choice. :-)

When I was young, I had a springer spaniel named Clyde, and I was determined he was going to be a sled dog. I stitched together a harness for him with some jingle-bells attached, hitched him in some jerry-rigged way to a neat old-fashioned sled with metal runners that I had, made some effort at teaching him what "hike", "gee", and "haw" meant (didn't need "whoa", as I weighed about as much as he did and it was easy enough to stop him if needed), and off we went down a snow-packed little-used road near our house. Such fun! In the summers I got him to pull me on my skateboard. He never was very enthusiastic about the sled dog treatment but he humored me. :-)

One or two dogs makes a great "team" for a skateboard or roller blades! More is called insanity. It's a great way to exercise your dog and have fun!

Mackey pic: thinking of thirteen Dwarves descending on Bilbo. LaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

Lance is the coolest.

Bofur is so a musher, he has the Hat.

Go outside and play...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Dec 31 2012, 7:10pm

Post #42 of 43 (89 views)
Shortcut
thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
dernwyn posted a link to your article in her post in this thread. Not that you can't post it again. It was a great read. :-)

thanks! Smile

Go outside and play...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Dec 31 2012, 7:54pm

Post #43 of 43 (121 views)
Shortcut
thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Take a read through swordwhale's analysis of it (the link can also be found in his post here).

It's quite an eye-opener when professionals in certain areas weigh in on these things! Smile

And you're right that it's not too far-fetched to consider a Maia using a means of conveyance such as this, as Darkstone explained a while back in his post here.

Personally? I love that sled!

(um, her... swordwhale is a girl)

Go outside and play...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.