Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The hobbit has become the 10th biggest film of the year
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 29 2012, 5:21pm

Post #51 of 67 (207 views)
Shortcut
They are not. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
So how on earth can this trilogy be underperforming from a simple market-economy point of view?!

But they are underperforming in terms of expectations. Ever followed the stock market? Expectations play a big part.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 29 2012, 5:24pm

Post #52 of 67 (200 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I did. [In reply to] Can't Post

For a number of reasons.

ROTK made over a billion nine years ago. With rising prices (especially of 3D) and inflation, I thought it would at least hit a million.

It's the next installment in a wildly successful and critically acclaimed series.

Twelve films have crossed the billion dollar mark (not counting the rerelease of Star Wars 1), and two of those were this year - Avenger & The Dark Knight Rises. At the time of ROTK, only it and one other film had made a billion.

Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima! Hail Eärendil, brightest of stars!

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 29 2012, 5:25pm

Post #53 of 67 (195 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To
So how on earth can this trilogy be underperforming from a simple market-economy point of view?!

But they are underperforming in terms of expectations. Ever followed the stock market? Expectations play a big part.

That's what I tried to say: They did not expect a third movie until a couple of months ago. So economically the trilogy should still (unless the next two flop) outdo the producers' expectations. Even if AUJ would miss
expectations.

And again, we do not know the WB's or anyone's expectations, just as we do not know the finale number for AUJ.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 29 2012, 5:28pm

Post #54 of 67 (197 views)
Shortcut
No offense but... [In reply to] Can't Post

...you - who is not following box office at all - are not in the position to argue about whether a movie is doing great or not. I don't mean to sound like a pompous bottom, even if i probably do right now.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 29 2012, 5:31pm

Post #55 of 67 (194 views)
Shortcut
No, we don't know WB's internal expectations and we never will. [In reply to] Can't Post

Studios always try to spin the message in the news, so i would take their press releases with a big grain of salt.

But we do know what LOTR was capable of, and what other big movies do nowadays.

With now 3 movies, expectations for total trilogy gross have of course gone up as well.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Dec 29 2012, 5:41pm)

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 29 2012, 5:38pm

Post #56 of 67 (181 views)
Shortcut
Yes. Feb. 24 in UK; May 4 in US. // [In reply to] Can't Post

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 29 2012, 5:42pm

Post #57 of 67 (179 views)
Shortcut
I can offer my opinion though [In reply to] Can't Post

Which I do. I don't claim to know anything.

Hence why I believe 1/2 billion in 2 weeks is good.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Dec 29 2012, 5:45pm

Post #58 of 67 (203 views)
Shortcut
If TH had made one dollar, there would be those who would celebrate it as a rousing success... [In reply to] Can't Post

The matter of the fact is, TH hasn't even crossed the 200 million mark domestically yet...and it certainly isn't doing RotK numbers. It's under-performing, despite any claims to the contrary.

And BTW, these "what did you expect?" comments seem revisionist to me...we'll see where it ends up, but it's certainly not doing what one would expect from a film which highly anticipated, widely marketed and a continuation of a pop culture phenomenon. And yes, it's been nearly a decade since RotK...16 years didn't seem to hurt Star Wars: Episode 1's box office any, and that movie was terrible!

True, Tolkien isn't as omnipresent as SW...but then again, Inception and Avatar were "original" stories, and they made more in the their first weeks.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Dec 29 2012, 5:46pm)

BeornBerserker
Lorien

Dec 29 2012, 5:52pm

Post #59 of 67 (172 views)
Shortcut
still trucking along [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.boxoffice.com/latest-news/2012-12-14-the-hobbit-an-unexpected-journey-bags-13-million-at-midnight

Actually just passed 200 million domestically

One thing to remember is this summer WB/MGM pleasantly found it for little added cost there would be 3 movie revenue streams from theatrical releases, theatrical dvd/blu ray releases, 3 EE dvd/blu ray releases. Not to mention the property would be in the public eye longer with greater opportunity to drive revenue through the licensing of toys, collectibles, games and any other licensing.

I am sure the decision for 3 was artistically driven by PJ and co.but it had to be a no brainer for WB/MGM when it only required a little extra cost for a few weeks of additional shooting. I'm sure this was an entirely different and improved revenue model than they originally expected or made their decisions off of.

(This post was edited by BeornBerserker on Dec 29 2012, 6:00pm)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Dec 29 2012, 5:56pm

Post #60 of 67 (207 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit #1 On Friday, Crosses $200 Million [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.deadline.com/...with-les-miserables/

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

Welsh hero
Gondor

Dec 29 2012, 7:46pm

Post #61 of 67 (165 views)
Shortcut
Now is the 6th biggest prequel (state side) [In reply to] Can't Post

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 29 2012, 8:10pm

Post #62 of 67 (154 views)
Shortcut
It's actually up [In reply to] Can't Post

from last Friday by 7%. It could very well move into eighth for the year by week-end's end.

This Hobbit's got legs.

sharku
Rivendell

Dec 29 2012, 8:20pm

Post #63 of 67 (128 views)
Shortcut
roll the dice and guess [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

I expected Avatar to make 5 billion, and The Avengers to make 12 billion. They are therefore massive, underperforming flops, in my opinion.

Furthermore, I expected the Hobbit to make $100 million world-wide. Wow - what a massive and unexpected success its been!!

[See how easy, yet specious that was? And who cares if it's right or wrong and based on fellacious assumptions and reported after the event? It is indeed - as you say - just like the stockmarket. Reductio ad absurdum, perhaps, but anyone else, however informed they are, are still just crystal-ball gazing and pulling numbers out of their posterior post hoc.]

(This post was edited by sharku on Dec 29 2012, 8:22pm)

Jim
Rivendell

Dec 29 2012, 8:44pm

Post #64 of 67 (158 views)
Shortcut
Now $600million Worldwide... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's going to do better than expected.

Rostron2
Gondor

Dec 29 2012, 10:13pm

Post #65 of 67 (80 views)
Shortcut
None of this matters [In reply to] Can't Post

Unless of course you work for one of the studios, or own a significant amount of stock in one of the companies. The artisans have already been paid, and unless they are supposed to get profit sharing of some kind, it really doesn't matter. Well, all right, you could argue that if they do extremely well, it helps hasten development on similar types of projects, or maybe someday the Tolkien Estate will release more right to other stories, etc.

The fact that these films got made at all are enough for me. I could care less whether it makes more money than The Dark Knight or even the Rankin Bass version. It's now part of cinematic history for all of us to enjoy.

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 30 2012, 1:36am

Post #66 of 67 (53 views)
Shortcut
hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The matter of the fact is, TH hasn't even crossed the 200 million mark domestically yet...and it certainly isn't doing RotK numbers. It's under-performing, despite any claims to the contrary.

And BTW, these "what did you expect?" comments seem revisionist to me...we'll see where it ends up, but it's certainly not doing what one would expect from a film which highly anticipated, widely marketed and a continuation of a pop culture phenomenon. And yes, it's been nearly a decade since RotK...16 years didn't seem to hurt Star Wars: Episode 1's box office any, and that movie was terrible!

True, Tolkien isn't as omnipresent as SW...but then again, Inception and Avatar were "original" stories, and they made more in the their first weeks.

Not sure, but I have the feeling you have not read most of my comments on this issue.

shadowdog
Rohan

Dec 30 2012, 2:44am

Post #67 of 67 (69 views)
Shortcut
But it has [In reply to] Can't Post

Crossed 200million on day 15; and will go higher as it goes along.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.