Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug synopsis
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Dec 29 2012, 2:23am

Post #26 of 32 (159 views)
Shortcut
I hope this is the case.. [In reply to] Can't Post

And the bulk of Smaug's part in the tale will help give more substance and shape to TABA, and hopefully James Nesbitt's recently mentioning the Laketown attack while discussing Film 2 doesn't mean it's necessarily in Film 2 after all.

And yes, you post was quite clear enough (or I thought so anyway). Wink

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Dec 29 2012, 2:24am)

lidlessEye
Rivendell

Dec 29 2012, 12:33pm

Post #27 of 32 (141 views)
Shortcut
barrels won't be midpoint of DoS [In reply to] Can't Post

pj said in an interview this week, that the barrel-scene will happen pretty early in the second movie and will be quite a ride...so i guess after an hour
which gives a lot of time in the last 2 hours - so i bet, smaug will be dead before the credits of DoS

(This post was edited by lidlessEye on Dec 29 2012, 12:34pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 29 2012, 1:23pm

Post #28 of 32 (149 views)
Shortcut
My take [In reply to] Can't Post

DoS

PROLOGUE: Gandalf/Thrain I (with the key) | 7-10 minutes

ACT 1: Carrock / Beorn & Gandalf leaving; Gandalf returning to Dol Guldur (Gandalf/Thrain II), finding out about Sauron, intercut with Mirkwood (deers, spiders, river) | 45 minutes

ACT 2: Thranduil's realm (Tauriel and possible Nazgul/prohecy involvement) and the flight in the barrels, intercut with the White Council deciding to attack Dol Guldur, a possible Sauron flashback | 45 minutes

ACT 3: Introduction of Laketown, approaching the Mountain; the climax being Bilbo/Smaug conversation intercut with the Battle of Dol Guldur (with Radagast and Beorn potentially taking part; not a "Normal" battle but the forest standing up against Evil, and some one vs. one action between Galadriel/Gandalf and Sauron). It ends with Gandalf deciding to hurry to the North and Smaug smashing the mountain-side, covering it in fire and Bilbo sending the thrush to Laketown (I think he will be a more active actor when it comes to sending the thrush and not just be overheard by her) | 1 hour

run time: 160 minutes

TABA

PROLOGUE: Dale/Cirion/Bard flashback (emerald necklace) | max. 10 minutes

ACT 1: Attack on Laketown, Smaug's Death | 30 minutes

ACT 2: Reclaiming of Erebor, Thorin getting the sickness, the negotiations with Bard and Thranduil leading to an impending war among the Free Peoples (what a plot!). Gandalf in the wilderness, learning about the Orc army and gathering Beorn | 1 hour

ACT 3: The Battle of the Five Armies, many deaths and new beginnings ;) | 1 hour

EPILOGUE: Bilbo's journey home (gold chest, Bag-End and the Sackville-Bagginses), Balin and Moria, Erebor and Dale rebuilt | 20 minutes

run time: 180 minutes

callumtaylor90
The Shire

Dec 29 2012, 1:34pm

Post #29 of 32 (115 views)
Shortcut
I've not read most of the back story. [In reply to] Can't Post

Where have they got most of their material for the sections about Dol Guldor?

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 29 2012, 6:31pm

Post #30 of 32 (100 views)
Shortcut
Partially appendices & partially their own invention// [In reply to] Can't Post

Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima! Hail Eärendil, brightest of stars!

nhui06
Rivendell

Dec 31 2012, 6:48pm

Post #31 of 32 (60 views)
Shortcut
Still think... [In reply to] Can't Post

I still think DOS will involve Smaug attacking Laketown and his death. With a title like Desolation of Smaug, the audience expects more of Smaug than just him flying out of his cave for the last act. We know PJ likes to resolve major parts of his movies in LOTR (Death of Lutrz and break up of fellowship, Destruction of Isenguard etc). If anything, DOS will see Gandalf personally investigating Dol Guldur and finding more evidence of the Nazgul and a new orc army forming, then races back to the White Council. They will resolve the battle in the third one- this is a better tie-in to the LOTR if done in the third film.

In Reply To

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 31 2012, 6:57pm

Post #32 of 32 (66 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

There are multiple ways of ending TDOS, but I can't see how it's not going to end with Smaug's death (or at least, just before his death).

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.