Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Great Expectations: The Silmarillion.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Dec 29 2012, 4:46pm

Post #26 of 41 (321 views)
Shortcut
I would like to participate :) [In reply to] Can't Post

It might help me get over the names stumbling block, and gain some new insights into the text Smile

" Well well!", said a voice. "Just look! Bilbo the hobbit on a pony, my dear! Isn't it delicious!"
"Most astonishing wonderful!"

dormouse
Half-elven

Dec 29 2012, 7:05pm

Post #27 of 41 (345 views)
Shortcut
I think 'Unfinished Tales' would be fun.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I keep stumbling across things from that which I'd forgotten.

But if there's a Silmarillion discussion I'll try to join in, work permitting.

Elizabeth
Valinor

Dec 29 2012, 8:50pm

Post #28 of 41 (327 views)
Shortcut
What, then, do you propose? [In reply to] Can't Post

I am trying to think of "looser structures". In your post, you suggested,

I'd propose a less formal structure, such as just one post on the chapter for the week, and if we don't do it every week, fine, then we skip a week or two. People could express interest in writing the post on specific chapters as we go along.

I can post a list of chapter titles. Should we ask people to sign up to lead chapters but not specify what week those chapters will be discussed? Should we list weeks for each chapter but then leave it up to participants to post on that chapter that week as they see fit? Any other suggested models?

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 29 2012, 9:51pm

Post #29 of 41 (320 views)
Shortcut
How about something even less formal? [In reply to] Can't Post

What if we just start a discussion on the Ainulindale. When it falls off page one, we can begin a new topic about it, or more onto the next chapter if we're done.

When the thread gets near the end of the page, anyone who wants to volunteer for the next thread is free to do so. What do you think?

Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima! Hail Eärendil, brightest of stars!

Heatherleawv
Bree

Dec 30 2012, 2:14am

Post #30 of 41 (293 views)
Shortcut
I [In reply to] Can't Post

liked the section on Beren and Luthien as well!

BTW, I have been on a lot of different forums and I really appreciate the friendliness of the One Ring Boards! Smile

(This post was edited by Heatherleawv on Dec 30 2012, 2:16am)

callumtaylor90
The Shire

Dec 30 2012, 2:18am

Post #31 of 41 (290 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. [In reply to] Can't Post

I looked for suggested forums, but I heard about no others!!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 30 2012, 2:57am

Post #32 of 41 (305 views)
Shortcut
Isn't it brilliant? [In reply to] Can't Post

Beren & Luthien is simply a wonderful chapter. Of Turin Turambar is even more stunning and amazing, but in a different way. Hope you enjoy it, too!

And I'm glad you're enjoying TORn. I definitely agree - the friendliness is one of the best parts of being here.

Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima! Hail Eärendil, brightest of stars!

CuriousG
Valinor

Dec 30 2012, 4:59am

Post #33 of 41 (318 views)
Shortcut
I like this approach. [In reply to] Can't Post

While I normally am Lawful and like Order, I think a more organic approach might work. We can start out and see how it goes. Maybe if a lot of people join in, we should start divvying up the chapters and scheduling things more, but if we start out unstructured, and we don't get the response we'd like to continue it, or if we have long pauses between chapters, then no one would be disappointed. What do others think?

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Dec 30 2012, 9:24am

Post #34 of 41 (339 views)
Shortcut
I'll give it a go too ("we are the elves who begin with F"!) [In reply to] Can't Post

I tried and failed to read it as a LOTR- obsessed teen (about 35 years ago) Would be good to try again. It's a very strange book:

"One does not simply read the Silmarilion. It's pleasures are guarded by more than arcane language. There is a creation myth which sends many to sleep, and the great lists of elves beginning With F are ever confusing. Then there's Beren in a wasteland...but with a Reading Room, you could do this- it'll be fun."

Anyway you need someone to ask stupid questions on this kind of expedition..... Book club... Thing?
When do we start?

PS - also like the idea of doing unfinished tales, but a lot if that would be easier to understand post- Sil

PPS- "we are the elves who begin with F" sounds wonderfully Monty Python

Sam20
Lorien

Jan 8 2013, 12:59am

Post #35 of 41 (229 views)
Shortcut
The Silm [In reply to] Can't Post

@callimtaylor90 If you've but a dim memory of LOTR and The Hobbit you should probably reread them to get familiar with the stories again. But you're not constricted to do so. I've heard of fans that have read The Silmarillion as their first Tolkien book. Pherhaps it won't affect you especially as you already have some knowledge of Middle-Earth and the writting style of Tolkien. As for me, I read it after The Hobbit and LOTR and continued the journey with Unfinished Tales.

(This post was edited by sam90 on Jan 8 2013, 1:01am)

callumtaylor90
The Shire

Jan 8 2013, 7:54am

Post #36 of 41 (223 views)
Shortcut
I have been reading... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit recently. Finished it again a few weeks ago. But I will admit its been years since I finished LOTR.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jan 9 2013, 12:09am

Post #37 of 41 (209 views)
Shortcut
You might enjoy "Unfinished Tales" [In reply to] Can't Post

Parts of it (Like "The Quest of Erebor") tie in and give a lot of good background for The Hobbit and LotR. I found it a lot more readable than the Sil. If you liked the Appendices in LotR, then you'll like the Sil.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

callumtaylor90
The Shire

Jan 9 2013, 9:49pm

Post #38 of 41 (192 views)
Shortcut
I'm a slow reader, [In reply to] Can't Post

But I think I just need to give it a go. If its too much of a complicated read I might refresh with LOTR.

CuriousG
Valinor

Jan 10 2013, 4:55am

Post #39 of 41 (193 views)
Shortcut
We are dissecting each chapter now, in case that helps.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Malveth
Rivendell

Jan 11 2013, 4:27pm

Post #40 of 41 (168 views)
Shortcut
It's The Best! [In reply to] Can't Post

But follow up with UT, CH, & H.O.M.E. to get the full picture.

callumtaylor90
The Shire

Jan 11 2013, 5:11pm

Post #41 of 41 (368 views)
Shortcut
Your discussion will become my master notes... [In reply to] Can't Post

And I will just have to keep referring to them I think. *printing pages*

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.