Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Home Port:
Peter Jackson and his choice to direct The Hobbit

Lindele
Gunner

Dec 28 2012, 3:18pm

Post #1 of 9 (409 views)
Shortcut
Peter Jackson and his choice to direct The Hobbit Can't Post

I've been keeping a blog on how my love for the Middle-earth mythology (films and books) has affected my life and the choices I've made etc..
My latest topic is on why I believe that directing The Hobbit was an incredibly noble thing for Peter Jackson to do.
It is written with the intention for people not intimately familiar with the details to understand it, so I'm sorry if some of it feels redundant.
Anyway, I'm proud of this one. And I can't for the life of me figure out how to make this link clickable.

http://davidferryjr.tumblr.com/post/39040772660/a-very-respectable-hobbit-as-the-box-office

Magpie
Captain

Dec 28 2012, 5:11pm

Post #2 of 9 (211 views)
Shortcut
clickable links [In reply to] Can't Post

If you're in Advanced Editor - which means you see a set of tools along the top of your compose window, then you just highlight the text you want to make clickable (it can be the actual url or words like 'click here'), then click on the tool that looks like three links in a chain (when you hover over this tool it will say 'link'). When you click that tool, you get a popup window with a field that already has http:// in it. It is important to not just paste your url that might already have http:// in it into the field. You must be sure to delete the http:// that is in there before you paste. Not erasing this is the #1 problem people have with links that don't work!

Once you have entered the url into the field of the popup window, you click 'submit'.

You must have already written something and highlighted it before using the popup window.

Advanced Editor is available in Firefox and, I think, Internet Explorer. But one can switch to Basic Editor and back again to Advanced Editor if one is so inclined.

If you are using Basic Editor, which means you don't see a row of tools along the top but a few buttons along the bottom, then you click the button that say 'url'. That action will deposit a code that has the letters 'url' between square brackets. You then paste your url address so it comes after that code. Then you click that button again only now it says '/url' (with a slash in front) between square brackets.

Alternately, you can just remember this is the code and actually type it. I find it's easier to type it than mess with the button.

Basic Editor is all that one can access in Chrome and, I think, Safari. If you want more code that seems available from the buttons along the bottom you can click 'Get Markup Help' which is at the top of all this composing stuff. But mostly, if I want to do a highly formatted post, I open up Firefox and do it there instead of writing the code in Chrome's Basic Editor.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Dec 28 2012, 5:12pm)

Aragalen the Green
Gunner

Dec 28 2012, 5:11pm

Post #3 of 9 (198 views)
Shortcut
Clickable link [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the information is in the FAQ's, how to make a clickable link. Here is how I do it (you have to be in advanced editor):

Paste your link on the page (like you did). Then highlight it, right click and copy. Then clink the "link" icon on the far right of the editor at the top--it looks like a bit of chain link :) paste the URL into the box that opens up, and be sure that the http:// isn't in there twice or it won't work. Click submit and voila! clickable link.

Hopefully this helps? After I post my link I go back and check to make sure it works. You should have about 10 minutes or so to make changes.

http://davidferryjr.tumblr.com/...it-as-the-box-office

" Well well!", said a voice. "Just look! Bilbo the hobbit on a pony, my dear! Isn't it delicious!"
"Most astonishing wonderful!"

(This post was edited by Aragalen the Green on Dec 28 2012, 5:14pm)

Lindele
Gunner

Dec 28 2012, 5:15pm

Post #4 of 9 (174 views)
Shortcut
thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragalen the Green
Gunner

Dec 28 2012, 5:15pm

Post #5 of 9 (180 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Magpie! [In reply to] Can't Post

I learned how to make a clickable link from you Smile

" Well well!", said a voice. "Just look! Bilbo the hobbit on a pony, my dear! Isn't it delicious!"
"Most astonishing wonderful!"

Magpie
Captain

Dec 28 2012, 5:17pm

Post #6 of 9 (174 views)
Shortcut
I really should codify the help along with the image posting help I developed [In reply to] Can't Post

...and now that I used basic editor, I could add help for posting images using basic editor.

so many fun projects... so little time. :-)

Loresilme
Quartermaster

Dec 29 2012, 7:36pm

Post #7 of 9 (160 views)
Shortcut
Excellent article [In reply to] Can't Post

You have a way with words, Lindele. You said many things that I have felt about him but have not been able to put into words. In many ways I am very in awe of him, someone who is so talented, creative, disciplined, successful and yet from all accounts, completely kind and grounded.

I agree with all you said also regarding his sincere motivation for doing the films, again something that I really admire - having that very clear idea of doing something, of wanting to do it, knowing it's the right thing to do and not letting fear stop you. It does take courage and it's something to be greatly admired. I also applaud his decision to go with HFR. It took me all of about five minutes to adjust to it - once I did, I loved it. I've now seen it in HFR, IMAX and 2D and far and away, it was best in HFR. I can't wait to see it again in HFR.

I am appalled at the viciousness of some 'professional' critics in the way they have gone on so negatively about HFR. IMO, they have gone beyond professional, they protest so much, they rant that it's just *so* excruciatingly awful, that to me it smacks of some other, below the surface motives. Maybe it's jealousy. Maybe it's being blasted out of their comfort zone of control of the industry. Who knows for sure, but sadly I do not think for a moment that everyone out there is as happy for him and proud of his ability to be successful outside of Hollywood, as we are.

I also know there are people who would say to that, "I have no ulterior motive whatsoever, I simply hated the HFR". And that's fine too. Because there again, it shows what a remarkable person he is. He did not force his viewpoint on everyone - he cares about the fans so much that he made it available in whatever format they prefer. When I look at the scenes of Erebor, for example, in HFR and look at them in 2D, and to me there's nothing but motion blur in the 2D version, and there is such crystal clear clarity in the HFR version that it makes me not want to *ever* stop looking at it in wonder :), it's hard for me to understand anyone disliking it. Yet here again, no matter how he personally felt about it, he allowed all the formats to be available so people could discuss, compare and decide for themselves, and have the freedom to enjoy this wonderful film in the way they prefer. Amazing. There is so much about him to admire.

Thanks again for your excellent article - it's so good to know there are others who see these qualities in him too.

Magpie
Captain

Dec 29 2012, 8:12pm

Post #8 of 9 (139 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the 'recommendation' Loresilme [In reply to] Can't Post

I find I have the time or maybe the interest to follow every link. But when a kindred spirit praises something, I take notice. :-)

Lindele, I've added your blog to my RSS feed.

Loresilme
Quartermaster

Dec 30 2012, 1:39am

Post #9 of 9 (119 views)
Shortcut
You are most welcome [In reply to] Can't Post

I always learn of so many interesting and shiny things through your research and readings :-).

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.