Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
If BoFA is yet to be filmed, what was Billy doing there? *Possible Spoilers*

Arandir
Gondor

Dec 26 2012, 8:57am

Post #1 of 10 (1252 views)
Shortcut
If BoFA is yet to be filmed, what was Billy doing there? *Possible Spoilers* Can't Post

It seems widely known now that the 10-week (or so) pickup shoot in May next year will involv mostly the yet unfilmed Battle of Five Armies.

This made me wonder - what was Billy Connolly doing in New Zealand then? Could he possibly appear before the events of the battle?

In Empire's December issue, Ian McKellen states the he DID film a scene with Dain, which would explain Connolly's trip to New Zealand.

However, how and when could his character possibly appear before these events?

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Dec 26 2012, 9:19am

Post #2 of 10 (679 views)
Shortcut
Unfilmed? [In reply to] Can't Post

How could the battle be unfilmed? I thought the two movies only became three after principal photography for the whole series was completed and Jackson realized how much extra material he had. Aren't they just filming pickups and expansions of existing films? Or am I misinformed?

In terms of where Dain might show up, maybe there's a meeting between the leaders of the armies. Or Dain might be present on the battlefield when Gandalf returns from White Council business. Or (SPOILERS)
the scene might be a certain dwarf's funeral.

Arandir
Gondor

Dec 26 2012, 9:29am

Post #3 of 10 (627 views)
Shortcut
My Thoughts exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

How could the battle be unfilmed? I thought the two movies only became three after principal photography for the whole series was completed and Jackson realized how much extra material he had. Aren't they just filming pickups and expansions of existing films? Or am I misinformed?

I thought the exact same thing. How, in 266 days (and only in the last few weeks did they decide a third film) could they possibly not have filmed the battle?

Unless, of course, the pickup in May was still going to consist (just the same) the battle itself ... whether two films or three Unimpressed

jtarkey
Rohan

Dec 26 2012, 10:46am

Post #4 of 10 (531 views)
Shortcut
I believe... [In reply to] Can't Post

Once 2 films became 3, they shot some more scenes for AUJ at the end of the shoot, instead of shooting BOFA. So the additional shooting now most likely includes extra scenes for TDOS and TABA.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 26 2012, 11:03am

Post #5 of 10 (530 views)
Shortcut
It was always the plan [In reply to] Can't Post

And has been known for a long time now.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

redgiraffe
Rohan

Dec 26 2012, 11:18am

Post #6 of 10 (483 views)
Shortcut
My theory [In reply to] Can't Post

I think they probably had the 3 films idea in the bag long before PJ mentioned that they would be doing extra shooting. They were probably just waiting on a green light from the studio.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 26 2012, 11:20am

Post #7 of 10 (508 views)
Shortcut
Dain and the BO5A... [In reply to] Can't Post

I also forgot to mention that they probably have filmed parts of the battle, including the parts of Dain (maybe his arrival, or the night before the battle, even after the battle), and perhaps Beorn. The majority of it is yet unfilmed though.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Bladerunner
Gondor

Dec 26 2012, 1:14pm

Post #8 of 10 (398 views)
Shortcut
Studio vs. Location? [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps, an abbreviated battle similar to what Bilbo experienced in the book had originally been filmed in the studio, with some of it to be told to Bilbo as a flashback by Gandalf.

With the flexibility that the additional film time (and real time) now provides, the details of the battle can now be included using additional footage to be filmed on location.

Just one possibility...

(This post was edited by Bladerunner on Dec 26 2012, 1:15pm)

Macfeast
Rohan

Dec 26 2012, 6:09pm

Post #9 of 10 (244 views)
Shortcut
My hope is, indeed, that he has filmed stuff where he appears prior to the battle. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just to they establish him as a character some time before BoFA, so that his arrival at Erebor carries some extra power; These aren't just a bunch of nameless dwarves appearing, these are dwarves under the command of Dáin Ironfoot, whom we know since earlier, and is now making his return. The Ride of the Rohirrim of the Hobbit.

I'm actually kind of curious about these dwarves Thorin met with before coming to Bag End. Might Dáin have been one of them ("I would take each of these dwarves over the mightiest army from the Iron Hills")? Could they be setting up a small character arc for Dáin, where he, after initially deciding not to back Thorin on his quest, eventually reconsiders and comes to his aid?

sycorax82
Rohan

Dec 26 2012, 10:45pm

Post #10 of 10 (169 views)
Shortcut
Most dialogue scenes will already be shot [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the huge action setups that they haven't done yet. They were always doing pickups next year, regardless of 2 or 3 films.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.