Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Happy Holidays! What movies did you all watch this weekend? And how many viewings of The Hobbit are you all on?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ShadoFax
The Shire

Dec 26 2012, 3:06am

Post #26 of 45 (199 views)
Shortcut
Lawrence of Arabia is one of the greats. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Lawrence of Arabia just now on Christmas Day on TV. Heard so many things about it and I knew it was a grand (and LONG) epic from the early 1960's. Surprisingly, it didn't look dated at all compared to other 50-something-year-old films and it was visually stunning all the way. 4/5.

It really is a masterpiece (and I do not use that word lightly or easily).

LoA also needs to be seen on the big screen to truly appreciate its impact and artistry. Although I've been lucky enough to see it a couple times in 70mm, I recently saw the new restoration in 4k digital presentation at my local AMC...it was stunning!

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 26 2012, 5:54am

Post #27 of 45 (178 views)
Shortcut
I saw it in 70mm, too [In reply to] Can't Post

At one of the three Cinerama Theaters in the US. (1989)

I described it in another post on these forums as fan-frickin-tastic.

:-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Dec 26 2012, 3:29pm

Post #28 of 45 (172 views)
Shortcut
You really wanna know? [In reply to] Can't Post

My wife went on YouTube and picked the Mystery Science Theatre 3000 version of Santa Clause Conquers the Martians!

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Dec 26 2012, 3:30pm)

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 26 2012, 5:35pm

Post #29 of 45 (177 views)
Shortcut
saw Les Mis last night [In reply to] Can't Post

Very well done, except Russell Crowe who seemed to be so intent on singing his part correctly that he forgot to act. The rest were outstanding. Hugh Jackman does not have the most beautiful voice but he has the range for Valjean and he looks the part. Eddie Redmayne, on the other hand, DOES have a gorgeous voice and rocked my favorite song, "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables." It was a delight to all of us to see Colm Wilkinson, the original Valjean, in a small but important part. Anne Hathaway is really a lyric soprano but her raw, emotional performance as Fantine made up for her lack of power in the lower range. I particularly loved all the scenes with the young student activists. (I'm told that the French have the same emotional reaction to "student activist" that most Americans have to the phrase "family farm.")

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Dec 26 2012, 6:26pm

Post #30 of 45 (163 views)
Shortcut
I can forgive Crowe because his character is so straight laced [In reply to] Can't Post

and though he does not have a great singing voice I thought his portrayal of the inspector on the hunt was good.

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 26 2012, 8:15pm

Post #31 of 45 (154 views)
Shortcut
He caught Javert's rigidity and sense of duty all right [In reply to] Can't Post

but the stage Javerts I've seen were more menacing and more fiery in their single-mindedness. I was surprised because Crowe is usually SO intense, but he just came across as flat sometimes - didn't help that he looked down at the ground most of the time when he was singing.

On the other hand he sang better than I expected;though his voice isn't a powerful one.

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 27 2012, 1:25am

Post #32 of 45 (229 views)
Shortcut
My 'review' of The Hobbit - spoilers for The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

(I've been writing to various people I know that aren't members of this forum and what's below is kind of compilation of those emails, etc. So it includes a lot I might not have written in a post in our Monday Movie thread but since I have written it... why not include it here?)

I'm glad I waited till my second viewing to say much. I saw it the first time in 2D - 24fps rate by myself. I really wasn't sure what I thought. I tried really hard to eliminate expectations on my part that would interfere with my ability to take in and accept what Jackson had prepared for me. I was grateful I had done that but I couldn't erase all expectations and it was a bit jarring at times. However, many of the things that kind of jumped out at me as being 'different' (in the true Minnesotan sense of 'different' as being one step away from 'weird' or 'odd') were things that I could also easily attribute to the book. If I wasn't sure I liked X in the movie, well... that was in the book and it was part of the reason why I didn't like X in the book as well as I liked the LOTR. Overall, it was 'okay' (it takes a lot to get me truly excited and gushy) with some parts I liked, some parts I didn't feel overly affectionate about, and some parts I quite disliked.

The second time I saw it (Christmas morning), we took in a 3D 48fps/HFR. Whether it was the addition of 3D, the HFR, or just the second viewing, I like the movie more than twice as much as the first time I saw it.

Before I get started, I think it's fair to establish (although I expect many of you know) that
  • I dearly love the LOTR books
  • I really liked the LOTR movies although I don't think they were perfect
  • I like, in varying degrees, other writings of JRRT set in Middle-earth
  • I read the Hobbit over thirty years ago and then again, once or twice, in the last 10 years. I kind of have to make myself read it. I enjoy it well enough but have almost no enduring affection for it. I have purposely avoided rereading it recently so the story is not strong in my head and I won't know (much) how well the movie adheres to the book. I will have an opinion on how well Jackson is representing - overall - Tolkien's Middle-earth and connecting with Jackson's LOTR films.

The stuff that matters:
The story - how well do I like PJ's presentation of a story, one that happens to be set in Middle-earth and somewhat connected to LOTR?
I like it pretty well. Perhaps some people picked up on some aspects of the movie immediately but some things will sink in for me over time and repeated viewings

Personalities
Establishing the personality of the characters and their relationship is something I think I'll feel stronger about over time. I think we need to understand and believe the motivations of Gandalf, Thorin, and Bilbo. And we need to understand and believe how these three interact with each other. I think Jackson (and the actors) succeeded in this although it's not in your face, imo. I noticed more of how they did this the second time than I did the first time and I expect I'll notice things more in successive viewings.

I noticed that they decided not to highlight every Dwarf. Perhaps those neglected Dwarves will be featured in future movies. I think the way they handled it was perfect. If we tried to figure out who all of them were, we'd be overwhelmed. We get a good sense of Thorin the most, of course. Then Balin, Fili, and Kili. To a lesser degree, Dwalin, Ori, and Bofur. The rest were background. For those that were given some development, I got a good sense of who these Dwarves were and I started to care about them.

The Quest
I think the struggle for these movies are partially rooted in the book and partially in the three movie format. The Hobbit book is pretty much an episodic adventure. I'm not sure I could identify one main quest that drives the book and, once satisfied, ends the book. For me, LOTR - once they set out from Rivendell, especially - has a stronger thread of quest and actions here influencing events there and a reason--connected to the quest--exists for characters being in the situation they find themselves. For The Hobbit, they have this adventure.. then that one... and then another. It's a tale told to children with the goal being pleasing the child on a daily basis as it's told. We don't expect the child to keep track of threads through days or weeks of telling so as to make connections.

By breaking the story into three parts, we have to have one overall quest/goal to drive the trilogy but also three individual stories that drive each movie. There has to be some satisfaction of that goal - we don't want outright cliff hangers where we're left with nothing resolved - but we need a sense of expectation to let us know the story isn't over.

To this end, I think TH: AUJ succeeds fairly well. Perhaps I was helped toward this by reading in a review somewhere "This movie is about Bilbo coming to a place where he wants to help Thorin regain his home" (otherwise, what will become the connection between Thorin and Bilbo and what will drive Bilbo to continue with this quest). I think the characters (and actors portraying them) of Gandalf, Bilbo, and Thorin do a really good job of not only establishing their characters but of setting up the mini-quest for AUJ and achieving it. I saw and believed the character arc for Thorin and Bilbo that prompted them to hug at the end. (Aww... would Tolkien have characters hugging? Maybe hug is the wrong word. Embrace.)

Connecting it to LOTR
I talked with a Tolkien friend who had remained very spoiler free and wondered how they were going to work in Frodo. She was worried it would be done poorly in an attempt to cash in on the success of the LOTR movies. I assured her that it was done tastefully and served the desire to overtly, but without too much emphasis, tied the two stories together. I liked how they are framing this entire trilogy as a story being told (in the form of writing it down) at the time of the Long Expected Party. And in doing so, they are effectively tying in Freeman's Bilbo with Holm's Bilbo. Perhaps this will also allow us to really appreciate the overall journey Bilbo takes in The Hobbit that effectively changes his personality from the Bilbo that opened up the door to Dwalin to the Bilbo that celebrates his 111th birthday and ultimately leaves on the Grey Ship.

Secondary stuff I liked:
The score.
Of course.
There has been some controversy about the music because the music in the CD release wasn't exactly how it was used in the movie and some themes heard in LOTR made their way into The Hobbit without the reason why those themes were used being obvious. People got quite vocal. Way more dramatic about it than I felt was warranted.

I can't tell you what parts of the movie were different from the CD or what parts of the CD were missing from the movie and I don't think, in the end, it matters much. I enjoyed the movie and I enjoy the CD. I don't need one to replicate the other to be happy.

Bag End.
I love houses like this. I want to know what Bilbo has set on that railing that runs around the rooms at head height. I want to know what's on the shelves or in baskets or on the larder shelves. This is a house that is lived in and Bilbo seems to be someone who picks things up, deems them worthy of keeping, then finds a place to set them down to enjoy.

Geeky Observations
I liked the subtle ways it was tied to the LOTR or Tolkien's writings. Some of the things that people said were very evocative of character comments in LOTR. I loved when Gandalf rephrased one of my favorite quotes from LOTR about his muttering was just him speaking to the most intelligent person in the room - himself.

Those moments are geeky fun. Gramma is updating her Geeky Observation List to include The Hobbit and it will be fun to read and contribute to.

Secondary stuff I struggled with and basically could have done without:
Establishing Dwarves as coarse, unmannered folk. I didn't like them swilling beer till it ran down their faces. Or stepping on the table. I think we needed to sense how uncomfortable these guys were making Bilbo feel. But I think they pushed it farther and in a direction other than was needed. Do I need say that some of the stuff Gimli is made to do in LOTR is some of my least favorite moments in LOTR? (and I'll have to eat crow if I go back to read the book and find out they did that in the book!)

Snot. I could not watch the scene with the trolls and probably never will be able to watch it. That scene could have been just as funny without the snot.

Bird poop. I actually think a little bird poop would have been funny and appropriate to the character. The degree to which they took it was just Jackson not knowing when to stop. If one skull is good... why not thousands? If a mace is a good idea, why not a mace so massive even a burly stunt man can't pick it up?

The design of the Goblin King. It went farther toward grotesque than we needed to venture and it strayed too far from Tolkien's vision of Middle-earth for my taste. This is taking Gothmog one step further. Because it wouldn't do to just meet the level one has set for stuff like this. One has to exceed it.

Fight sequences - in two ways. One - they were filmed too close in. It was almost impossible to follow what was happening except for lots of slashing and hacking. Two-they went on too long and relied too heavily on special effects to showcase the 3D effect (all that stuff with portions of bridge work sliding down caverns, etc.). This might appeal to some people. But not to me. If there is fighting, it better be short, be cool looking (very stylistic), or serve a purpose (make me feel emotionally invested in the characters and their potential plight). The whole Goblin cave was, for me, just Khazad-dum revisited. I used to go to the bathroom during the Khazad-dum sequence.

Perhaps this will be more fully developed in the upcoming movies but I am not convinced that adding the White Council - and potentially setting up future storylines involving the Necromancer - was a good idea. It just jerks us completely out of the story of Bilbo and The Hobbit. We're on an adventure. The Dwarves are all Dwarvish and Bilbo is out of his element and being all Hobbitish and then - BOOM - we're amongst this elevated group of High Elves and Istari discussing matters much higher and fairly removed from Hobbits and Dwarves. Not only does it weaken our connection to the story of Thorin, Bilbo, and a band of Dwarves, it is an abrupt change in mood. I had a late night on Christmas Eve. I hadn't had much coffee when we saw it on Christmas Day, and I slept through all the White Council scene. I was aware I was dozing and I didn't care. That is not good.

The Hobbit vs LOTR
I struggled a little with the lighter, more fantastical nature of TH vs LOTR. But then, I'm very obvious of it when I read or listen to The Hobbit, as well. So all that stuff is in the book. I don't think I have any negative reactions when I read TH. It's more that I just don't bond to it to the same degree that I do LOTR. But some of my reactions to TH movie were a bit negative as in, uh... not sure I like that. But when I was honest about understanding and respecting the differences between the two stories, it was easier. Especially since I have advocated since day 1 for The Hobbit movie owning up to the childlike quality of the book. Talking purses? Give them to me. Animals serving food? Sure, put them in there. So, if I can accept that on a theoretical level, I can on an actual, experiential level.

I often feel like I pay lip service to 'respecting' a different way of looking at things or doing things while remaining rooted in the place where I stand - which is the way I think of things or do things. The way that is familiar and comfortable for me and I likely feel is the 'best' way - when all is said in done.

But standing in spot A while leaning towards spot B doesn't really work. It feels off balance and never feels completely natural. Sometimes you got to stand up and walk over to spot B and own that place. I had a moment in the film when I realized this was more like how I felt about Harry Potter and Narnia and then I was able to shift myself form spot A (limited elements of fantasy -- deep, meaningful themes and story lines) and more toward spot B (a more childlike, fantastical story). At that point, it felt easier to enjoy the story on its own level.

Tech Talk
High Frame Rate (48 frames per second or fps)
This does look different, I'll give you that. I think that people have this unconscious association of that sort of 'look' with other types of media filmed in particular ways and their brain just goes there, unbidden, and - unless one has a good talking to one's brain - it may stay stuck there.

Interestingly, my first love of the 3D effect came very young with Viewmasters. I adored this 'toy' and as an adult now collect Viewmaster Slides and old Viewmaster viewers. One of my first reactions to seeing the ultra-clear HFR in 3D was that is looked like my Viewmaster slides. I can understand the associations people are having with HFR and other things that seem 'less than a good movie' experience. And I am someone who wants to stand in the middle of a store that just rearranged departments and shout, "PUT IT BACK." Change in the way I'm used to things can make me quite agitated. But not only have I been unable to avoid change in my life, I do understand the need for change. And I listen to the lesson Tolkien tries to give us when he shows us people who try to preserve things unnaturally.

So, that said, I tried to be an adult with my brain and reassure it that everything was okay. We were seeing something new and it would be okay once we got used to it. And, although there were moments that just seemed to remind me, assertively, that I was watching HFR!... for the most part, I got used to it. And I think we all can.

The advantage of HFR for me was there was definitely less motion blur and I have trouble tracking movement on screen anyhow (something I've noticed for a long time). I might have read somewhere (I've been trying to avoid reading what other people think but sometimes things crept in) that the HFR made CGI more visible and apparent. That not only was not the case for me (for the most part), it made some of the CGI look better. I noticed many spots in my 2D-24fps viewing that seemed very CGI and unnatural. Those moments did not seem overly unnatural in the 3D-HFR viewing. There were moments when it was apparent that something was CG but those moments exist in all movies.

I think I can accept this shift to HFR for movies. It may be that the lower frame rate works well for some forms of storytelling. We still make movies and take photographs in black and white even though we now have capability for color. And we still do animation for movies that could be told with live action. It's an artistic choice and 24fps and 48fps may become an artistic choice. In that case, maybe people will struggle longer with reconciling the difference between the two. But I don't think 48fps is a bad thing and I suspect it's the future of films.

3D
I saw trailers for The Hobbit in 2D and though... okay, yeah... but didn't go WOW. I saw a trailer in 3D and went WOW! Things that just seemed like a messy blur to me resolved into discernible objects. I could make sense of things in a way I couldn't with 2D. Now, I don't like how many trailers today are edited and I didn't like how TH trailers were edited. So they could surely have let me take in what was going on in their trailers even while using 2D. (I was enchanted by the Life of Pi trailer in 2D and that trailer made me want to watch LoP in 3D.)

Also, I suspect, and my film-lover son agreed, that the whole movie and likely the trailer was filmed to showcase the HFR and decisions made to do that might have made for a lower quality 24fps trailer and movie experience than if they had made other decisions. So, again, they might have made a movie for 2D, 24fps that I could take in quite well and not struggle with.

But I know that, for this movie, the 3D version (and HFR probably figured into this) was easier for me to 'see' than the 2D version. I think there are still too many shots geared specifically for a 3D thrill - it's as if they have to remind us we *are* getting something for the extra 2-4 dollars we spent. And I know that 3D is geared for getting us to visit the theater and spend more money.

All in all, however, I prefer 3D. And I will likely prefer it - whether I spend the money on it or not - for almost all movies it's offered for.

I hope to watch this - before it leaves both first and second run theaters - at least another time or two.. maybe more. If I do that, I may take notes. I have lots of thoughts while watching the movie that fly from my mind as soon as the next thought comes to me. To be honest, I will enjoy reading or contributing to a geeky observation list or getting to the point where we pay slow, patient attention to Hobbit scenes or screencaps like we've done with LOTR. That will take a while in happening, I'm sure. ;-) The Hobbit board moves too fast for those slow, quiet discussions. But I think The Hobbit will have enough fodder for them. And I think my appreciation for the movies may grow as I do all this.

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 27 2012, 1:51am

Post #33 of 45 (190 views)
Shortcut
Downton Abbey News : Spoiler! [In reply to] Can't Post

from ew.com

After speculation that Dan Stevens, who plays Matthew, would not return for season 4, the actor has made it official. He spoke of his exit to the London Telegraph, which — seriously, stop reading now if you don’t want to be spoiled! — was a plot point in the Christmas special that aired last night in the U.K. and is “reducing a nation to tears of dismay and disbelief.” To find out what happens, read the interview. And here’s a Daily Mail recap, but WARNING!, it will spoil other major season 3 plot points for you as well.

more at: http://insidetv.ew.com/...dan-stevens-leaving/

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 27 2012, 7:06am

Post #34 of 45 (158 views)
Shortcut
I agree with almost everything you liked/didn't like about the movie [In reply to] Can't Post

with one exception: I loved seeing the White Council. I think once all the movies are out and we can watch them in marathons with the LOTR movies, it will strengthen the connection.

I saw it the first time in regular 3D and the second time in HFR and preferred the latter as well. Still think the battle scenes are too busy though.

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 27 2012, 11:20am

Post #35 of 45 (123 views)
Shortcut
Oh dear [In reply to] Can't Post

How could Downton continue after this? To let such a pivotal character go just like that seems.... well, rushed. I have yet to see the Christmas Special, though.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 27 2012, 11:41am

Post #36 of 45 (163 views)
Shortcut
Nice review! [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoyed reading it very much! Although, I was a bit surprised you didn't write more about the score Cool

For my part, the score almost facinated me more than the score for the LOTR trilogy. For instance, the score for the flight of the Eagles moves me a lot, and yet nobody seems to know anything about it - there seems to be a lot of confusion surrounding the Hobbit score.

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 27 2012, 4:03pm

Post #37 of 45 (122 views)
Shortcut
I'm just not sure what to say about the score [In reply to] Can't Post

...or what people are confused about.

What more could I say than, I liked it?

The first thing I said about the LOTR score was 'here's what these lyrics are on this track of the CD'. The second thing I said was, 'here's what's happening during the music heard on each track of the CD.' The third thing I said was, 'here are the themes I'm hearing, where they're used, and how you can figure out what I'm talking about.'

The bulk of that work was started once I had the DVD to work off of. And none of that is work I'm going to do for The Hobbit. Most of it is work Doug will be doing. One driving force for me to do the work I did for LOTR was because there was almost no info out about it and a lot of that was wrong. That's not going to be the case for The Hobbit, I suspect.

So... I liked it. Beyond that, I'm not sure what to say. I'm certainly not going to get into a tizzy about what music is missing or altered (as some have). People are talking about the eagles but I heard the music go through three perhaps four different types of music during the entire scene with the eagles. Which music connected to the eagles are people talking about? And what do they want to know?

Until I have the DVD, I won't be able to easily connect music to action. And even then, I probably won't. Unless it's part of one of those quiet discussions about The Hobbit I talked about. ;-)

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Dec 27 2012, 7:14pm

Post #38 of 45 (108 views)
Shortcut
Couldn't resist. [In reply to] Can't Post

I peeked. And I'm gutted. Not only Matthew but Sybil??!!

I had a sneaking suspicion Matthew would be killed off, but I didn't expect Sybil to go, too! FrownFrownFrown

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Kassandros
Rohan

Dec 27 2012, 7:30pm

Post #39 of 45 (106 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for posting your review! [In reply to] Can't Post

I may not have the same opinion as you on a lot of things, but I still enjoyed seeing your thoughts. I liked your perspective on 3D HFR and the battle/action scenes, but definitely have a different opinion on the bird pee and the White Council.

Alas, I wasn't able to watch The Hobbit again as I had planned because I've been terribly sick for about a week now. And while I might have been willing to hobble my way to the theater and enjoy the movie, I thought it'd be terribly cruel to spread my germs and ruin others' enjoyment with my coughing.

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Dec 27 2012, 7:36pm

Post #40 of 45 (109 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the review! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been looking forward to your take on the movie. We seem to agree on several points, both good and bad. I, too, hope for a quiet Hobbit movie discussion here in the future, although I'd probably just lurk. But I don't see that discussion happening for a few years yet.

The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 27 2012, 7:51pm

Post #41 of 45 (111 views)
Shortcut
me either. And now . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to keep it from my family, who will be devastated.

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 27 2012, 9:08pm

Post #42 of 45 (110 views)
Shortcut
How is it going to work? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Downton's season 4? That I wonder. Matthew out of the picture could definately hurt the series, whether you like him or not, as the main story has always been centered around him, ever since the first episode.

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 27 2012, 10:03pm

Post #43 of 45 (105 views)
Shortcut
well, imo... [In reply to] Can't Post

..that's the difference between having a story you want to tell and taking the necessary time to do that...

and a soap opera, where the story exists to fill the time allotted.

In a soap opera, the loss of a character is not that big of a deal.

I can remember picking up on Ballykissangel in US reruns and really getting into the story.

(spoilers for Ballykissangel)

I was so psyched when Father Peter decided to leave the priesthood to be with Assumpta since I thought that storyline would be very interesting. Then, they killed Assumpta and I was gutted. Absolutely gutted. And royally pissed they had done that.

Once I realized that Ballykissangel was a soap, I viewed it differently. I understand how soap operas work. But I didn't think that's what I was watching.

At its heart, Downton Abbey is a soap opera. It will linger as long as people want to watch it and actors/actresses leaving will not stop that.

Now, if people get disinterested due to someone leaving, that might affect it. But I suspect they'll get another heart-throbby guy in to try to fill the void. And the plot/story will mutate to accommodate it.

kiwifan
Rohan

Dec 27 2012, 11:13pm

Post #44 of 45 (108 views)
Shortcut
I've seen TH AuJ three times so far (still not enough....!) [In reply to] Can't Post

the first time on Wednesday 12th December in 2D and in English (alone)
the second time on Saturday 15th December in 3D HFR in German (with friends, ladies aged 41 and 53 respectively)
the third time last night (26th December) in 2D and in German (with my eldest niece who is 15)

It seemed a different experience each time and my reaction to the film was also different each time.

It's a good thing I watched it first in 2D 24 fps (as Calisuri recommended) because this way I could become completely absorbed in the story without the distractions the 3D version caused (my older friend and I felt dizzy several times when there was too much motion at once and rapid tracking shots, which did not happen to me in the 2D viewings, and several times the persons standing in the foreground became almost one-dimensional, like cardboard-cutouts,) that really jerked me out of the story and was very annoying. But I liked the clarity of the picture in HFR.

I'm planning on watching it again in English 2D (I've been told that the 3D without the HFR makes for a darker, duller picture --- no idea whether that is true or not) because I so much love to hear the actors' original voices (in the German version, even the songs have actually been translated and sung in German --- by someone else, I expect) --- Richard Armitage singing this theme song (Misty Mountains or whatever it is called), and then the other Dwarves joining in, sends shivers down my spine!

'Goodness gracious, you really are a messie!' 'Oh no, I'm not, these are all just mathoms...'

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Dec 28 2012, 3:35am

Post #45 of 45 (153 views)
Shortcut
Maybe... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it is Matthew's Evil Twin who really dies. The Real Matthew is tied up in the wine cellar.

Hey, it is a soap, after all. Angelic

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.