Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
How do you configure forums to show most recently active threads first??

redgiant
Bree

Dec 23 2012, 10:29pm

Post #1 of 7 (212 views)
Shortcut
How do you configure forums to show most recently active threads first?? Can't Post

Most forums do this by default, yet I haven't been able to figure out how to make it happen at all here.

No wonder you have a problem with duplicate threads on popular topics; it's too hard to find the active threads which shoudl naturally percolate to the top since they are ... active. So people just post their new version of what they don't readily see.

Please tell me I am missing an option, and if I am you should seriously consider making it the default to begin with.

If this is not possible on these forums, why not? I know the pro's of having it in place (most popular and active topics stay up front, one-off posts that no one cares about fade away, new posts are up front at first but go one way or the other on their own merits). But what are the cons?

Am I alone in this? Just try following the Hobbit thread factory these days; every thread I am invested in reading or posting to, is hard to find after only a day or two unless I search for it or access it via a subscribed link in email. But they are very active with posts every hour or so, and yet are on the second or third page now.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 23 2012, 10:43pm

Post #2 of 7 (138 views)
Shortcut
Click on the 'creation' link at the upper right of the board [In reply to] Can't Post

and it will re-sort the threads by the most active. You can't set this as an option in your profile, you have to click on it every time you visit a board.

These forums were set up to mirror how our old forums worked and the majority of users preferred (and still prefer) the way it's set up now. We realize it's different that some other forums, but it keep the conversation fresh and prevents people from bumping 'pet' threads.

Hope that helps. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

redgiant
Bree

Dec 24 2012, 7:06am

Post #3 of 7 (137 views)
Shortcut
Yes, thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

that fixed it for me. I would have never discovered it since the View link states what it already is (by creation) instead of what it will become (by activity).

Kassandros
Rohan

Dec 28 2012, 7:42pm

Post #4 of 7 (61 views)
Shortcut
Still prefer? Has there been a poll? [In reply to] Can't Post

Just curious. : )

I am always clicking the "creation" button so that I can view by activity. I might be in the minority and I don't want to upset any apple carts and the like. And the creature system works well enough, normally, I think.

I do wonder, though - with all the activity on The Hobbit forum these days, would it be wise to, say, double the number of threads that appear on the front page to avoid just a bit of the duplication?

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Dec 30 2012, 4:49pm

Post #5 of 7 (74 views)
Shortcut
Threads Per Page [In reply to] Can't Post

You can set that for yourself in your Profile. Display Settings, "Forum threads / page." I have mine set to 100.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 30 2012, 6:02pm

Post #6 of 7 (64 views)
Shortcut
I don't remember a poll [In reply to] Can't Post

But you're welcome to start one. Smile The problem with that, of course, is the poll might be skewed towards the amount of people who have a preference one way or the other who visit the Pollantir board and see the poll. But, even if every user decided they'd rather see threads in activity order, rather than creation, I have no idea what effect it would have on the functionality of the boards to change it 'mid-stream' and, frankly, it's too risky to experiment with it while we're getting the heavy site traffic and board traffic from The Hobbit.

In addition, I know that once the boards were set up, some changes can't be done retroactively. For example, if I changed the default for how many posts appear on page one, it would only work for new users who sign up after the change. The same might quite possibly apply for the creation/activity default. But, we'll probably never know because the site can't afford for the boards to be broken now so I'm definitely taking an: if it's not broke, don't fix it, approach. Laugh

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Kassandros
Rohan

Dec 30 2012, 6:42pm

Post #7 of 7 (103 views)
Shortcut
Neat! [In reply to] Can't Post

I had forgotten about that. Of course, I like to set mine standard sometimes so I see it how most others do. And my setting it to a bigger setting wont prevent duplicate threads from being created faster.

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.