Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
I've seen it all now: Bad cinema/theatre experiences ....
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

alienorchid
Lorien

Dec 24 2012, 1:30pm

Post #26 of 38 (110 views)
Shortcut
In my hometown [In reply to] Can't Post

we had a tiny little theatre with old-fashioned, second hand projecting technology. Occasionally the film would catch fire, or just not work, or the projectionist (which was always some guy we all knew from high school) wouldn't turn up because he'd forgotten. There was still 'half-time' and most people would talk through the movie. It only cost $5 and the ratings were never enforced! It was great!

The most exciting viewing would have to be when one of our aftershocks interrupted a TTT screening!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 24 2012, 3:27pm

Post #27 of 38 (111 views)
Shortcut
I went to the theater once [In reply to] Can't Post

with a bunch of family. I think we took up a whole row with only one seat open on the end. One of my cousins was to go with us, but had gotten the flu and so didn't go. It's a good thing, too! Part way through the film something landed right in front of that open seat. At first, I thought it was a drink that someone had thrown. We then realized it was a chunk of plaster that had fallen from the ceiling!

Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima! Hail Eärendil, brightest of stars!

kiwifan
Rohan

Dec 24 2012, 3:47pm

Post #28 of 38 (114 views)
Shortcut
Me, too! [In reply to] Can't Post

All of what you mentioned applies to me as well. I'm probably fortunate in having such nasty back problems that I practically never go to the cinema anymore (last time before 'The Hobbit' was Star Wars Revenge of the Sith!, when was that, in 2003 or 2004? Can't remember...

Also, I was lucky that during my two viewings of The Hobbit, no one misbehaved in any way (one was at 2 pm on Wednesday afternoon --- the very first showing of TH AUJ in that place --- in a small, 70-seats-cinema, and the second on the following Saturday afternoon at 4 pm (on account of my two women friends who work during the week), in a large and very up-to-date cinema where the sound was so loud it would have drowned out any other noises, and where we sat 'in splendid isolation'. Besides, in both cinemas there appeared a notice on the screen to please turn off mobile phones before the film started. Nor were there any rowdy people at all. So no trouble with my fellow viewers. Both times I had the seat on the aisle on the side where I could get up and cross the small aisle and stand leaning against the wall for some time. I'd told anyone sitting near me beforehand that I cannot sit for close to 3 hours straight due to back problems, and everyone said 'no problem', and I wasn't in anyone's field of vision so don't think I created a disturbance or was a nuisance to anyone. And I had taken my marzipan sweets out of the crackly cellophane bag and put them in a plastic container so didn't cause any noise, either.

And like you I don't hesitate to try to shush people or stop them maltreating animals or other kids and sometimes making myself unpopular in doing so but couldn't care less!

'Goodness gracious, you really are a messie!' 'Oh no, I'm not, these are all just mathoms...'

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 24 2012, 6:56pm

Post #29 of 38 (150 views)
Shortcut
I was too premature in my moaning [In reply to] Can't Post

Today's screening was a nightmare. Talking to my left, texting to my front, and someone using an e-cigarette for the *entire* film.

I couldn't get to either of these three people to ask them to stop. If only I had had popcorn to throw at them.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 24 2012, 8:02pm

Post #30 of 38 (97 views)
Shortcut
*Dusts off projectionist's certificate* [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually have one somewhere! Though it was for those ancient film projectors we used to have in schools.

Definitely among my more obscure qualifications. :)

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 24 2012, 8:08pm

Post #31 of 38 (90 views)
Shortcut
The fire alarm during our first viewing of FOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

Boromir was dying! And they expected us to leave the theatre!

The staff did have to come in and point out that we really should all leave, which we did, with much looking back over shoulders.

We all hung about outside for a while, but by the time the firefighters gave the all-clear (it was a false alarm) it was too late for a viewing that day. We *did* get tickets for another viewing, though.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 24 2012, 8:46pm

Post #32 of 38 (93 views)
Shortcut
I've often thought a long, thin, switch would do the trick [In reply to] Can't Post

You can reach out a distance and give a nice flick. Not painful enough to do damage but it will catch their attention.

That, or a taser.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Misto
Lorien

Dec 25 2012, 11:42am

Post #33 of 38 (77 views)
Shortcut
How on earth did they manage that? [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean film stopping and consequentially burning out is not that unlikely if you use actual film reels. But how in the name of the Valar do you put in the film upside down? I did work at a cinema as a side job once and considering the machines we had - you'd have to be VERY stupid to put in a film upside down.

silneldor
Half-elven

Dec 25 2012, 10:04pm

Post #34 of 38 (69 views)
Shortcut
Well DanielLB, [In reply to] Can't Post

that just sets the stage for the earthiness, down to (Middle)earth happening of the shire. Wink Nature in its purest form. Too bad there wasn't a Hobbit in all seriousness, milking a cow sitting on a little stool. Now that would make for a serious workout, considering the relative size of the cow......Just sayin'Angelic

Carne
Tol Eressea

Dec 25 2012, 10:31pm

Post #35 of 38 (100 views)
Shortcut
Watched The Hobbit for a third time today [In reply to] Can't Post

From the moment it started and a good hour into the film some people a couple of rows in front of us kept talking. Yes, constant talking for an entire hour. Their phones also went off several times.

I don't understand people like these at all Crazy

The fire alarm then went off and we had to stand outside for 15 minutes before being let back inside. Movie continued and we were all given free tickets, so a good night all in all.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 26 2012, 7:43am

Post #36 of 38 (69 views)
Shortcut
People really do lose their common sense [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
From the moment it started and a good hour into the film some people a couple of rows in front of us kept talking. Yes, constant talking for an entire hour. Their phones also went off several times.

I don't understand people like these at all Crazy

The fire alarm then went off and we had to stand outside for 15 minutes before being let back inside. Movie continued and we were all given free tickets, so a good night all in all.

As soon as they step over the threshold of the cinema. Do they think they're being clever, funny? Grrrr *shakes fist*.

It's a shame, because one's experience of a film can be ruined by things like this. People might come out disliking the film, simply because of inconsiderate people.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Dec 26 2012, 3:24pm

Post #37 of 38 (66 views)
Shortcut
Who in their unselfish mind brings an infant to the movies? [In reply to] Can't Post

It always ends up bad with one parent walking around with the screaming chiild outside the theatre. Babysitters are meant for movie night.

kiwifan
Rohan

Jan 9 2013, 10:37pm

Post #38 of 38 (85 views)
Shortcut
Or perhaps a great number of people nowadays simply have no manners [In reply to] Can't Post

So far *touches wood*, all four of my 'Hobbit' film viewings have been unmarred by any rude or ill-mannered people in the respective cinema (but then three times I went in the afternoon and the fourth time, an evening show, was in the small cinema in the small town where I spent a wonderful 10-day Christmas holiday with my brother's family) --- nor were the cinemas full. And I became so absorbed in the adventure every time that any popcorn-eating or anyone leaving a seat for a short trip to the loo didn't even penetrate into my trance-like state. So I daresay I've been lucky...

However, a friend and I went to a show called 'The Fantastic Shadows' last night to which I'd won a couple of tickets from the radio station I listen to while in my kitchen, and there it couldn't have been more different. The couple in front of us would have been better off in their bedroom at home (or a hotel room, if they were illicit lovers) because they were necking and giggling and petting and snogging and really discomfiting the elderly lady on the bloke's left. My friend was terribly bothered by the woman's slutty perfume, and then there was this family behind us (my friend claims they were speaking Russian) who wouldn't stop talking for the entire time (I tuned them out because the music was loud enough). All in all a rather unpleasant experience and certainly something you wouldn't have to sit through in our opera house (the last bastion of good manners?).

'Goodness gracious, you really are a messie!' 'Oh no, I'm not, these are all just mathoms...'

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.