Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Who was your least favorite character in the new film? {repost of sinister71's poll}
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Who was your least favorite character in the new film? {repost of sinister71's poll}
Azog 51 / 42%
Radagast 13 / 11%
Thranduil 3 / 2%
The Great Goblin 23 / 19%
sebastian the hedgehog 7 / 6%
Bilbo 1 / 1%
Thorin 1 / 1%
None  22 / 18%
121 total votes

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 20 2012, 5:40pm

Post #26 of 45 (451 views)
Shortcut
I hope you kept the receipt! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Escapist
Gondor

Dec 20 2012, 6:41pm

Post #27 of 45 (493 views)
Shortcut
Yeah - where's the straight-up favorite character from the movie thread? [In reply to] Can't Post

Because Bilbo was awesome!

Elizabeth
Valinor

Dec 28 2012, 5:06am

Post #28 of 45 (488 views)
Shortcut
Agree with all that.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 29 2012, 5:52pm

Post #29 of 45 (391 views)
Shortcut
Azog [In reply to] Can't Post

shoulda left him in Moria; he'd served his purpose of explaining "Oakenshield" and establishing Thorin as a real warrior by then.

Radagast's part should have been cut way down to being the one who realizes something's wrong in the Greenwood & alerts Gandalf.

Joe-Mathews
Rivendell

Dec 30 2012, 1:37am

Post #30 of 45 (391 views)
Shortcut
Great Goblin [In reply to] Can't Post

I've already complained about him elsewhere. He was so bloated, clumsy, and easily defeated I have a hard time believing one of his underlings wouldn't have dethroned him long ago.

I liked Radagast! If he had only kept the bird-stuff under his hat it wouldn't have been so distracting. Speaking of distracted, McCoy would have been better off playing Radagast as easily distracted rather than forgetful. It fits more with a character who spends all of his time around jittery creatures.

I also tired of pipe-weed jokes after LotR, but I can't blame Radagast for Saruman's lame mushroom insult.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Dec 31 2012, 9:03pm

Post #31 of 45 (397 views)
Shortcut
My problem with Ori is that he often reminds me of someone else... [In reply to] Can't Post

so my brain sees things like this:

PARTY ON, DWARVES!!!

He's just sooo Garth sometimes, trying so hard to be kewl.
=)

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Dec 31 2012, 9:21pm

Post #32 of 45 (378 views)
Shortcut
I don't think I can unsee that! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 31 2012, 10:07pm

Post #33 of 45 (352 views)
Shortcut
Ditto that, Arwen's daughter!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Dec 31 2012, 10:52pm

Post #34 of 45 (373 views)
Shortcut
Comparison [In reply to] Can't Post

You are comparing the wizard Gandalf and his elven sword to a goblin underling.

Radagast would have been better played as a dedicated, single-minded wizard with a keen intellect and self-purpose who will NOT be distracted from his own interests than a daft drug addict from Alice In Wonderland. i.e. More like Bombadil with a strong personality than Sylvester McCoy playing the fool.

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 31 2012, 11:38pm

Post #35 of 45 (365 views)
Shortcut
Duuude [In reply to] Can't Post

That is so awesome! Cool

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 31 2012, 11:54pm

Post #36 of 45 (463 views)
Shortcut
Nor I. [In reply to] Can't Post

EPW's Evil is strong on this board.

FrogmortonJustice65
Rivendell

Jan 1 2013, 7:41pm

Post #37 of 45 (364 views)
Shortcut
I didn't HATE anybody in AUJ... [In reply to] Can't Post

But Azog is probably my least favorite. I was never particularly awed by Lurtz/Gothmog/other Orc baddies from LOTR, but I think Azog's CGI-ness detracts from his menace a little bit. They should've just dressed someone up like an Orc. Not a big deal though really...

I didn't have a problem with Radagast, the various goofy dwarves, etc.

CathrineB
Rohan

Jan 1 2013, 10:20pm

Post #38 of 45 (349 views)
Shortcut
Nooo I love Radagast! [In reply to] Can't Post

Lol and Sebastian is in the poll too? LOL

Voted Thranduil, but Azog when I think of it though. Didn't like him and was he all CGI? Because what happened making costumes and make up like Lurtz?

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Jan 8 2013, 4:39pm

Post #39 of 45 (325 views)
Shortcut
Azog... [In reply to] Can't Post

It burnssss us to watch him precious.
I've watched AUJ three times. Every time I hate Azog more. But not in a "love to hate" way as a good villain should be. The entire story arc with Azog screams the cliché "revenge of the villain". I understand the need for a main antagonist, but PJ could have done better than this. At least Bolg looks promising.

Hithaeglirchen

Jan 9 2013, 8:25pm

Post #40 of 45 (330 views)
Shortcut
I didn't actually hate anyone,but Azog... [In reply to] Can't Post

seemed like a pretty generic villain and I think the writers mentioned that his arc was expanded due to the decison to divide it into 3.In LotR,for me Lurtz worked because he was always presented in the context of Saruman,as a mini-boss kind of villain,he was never established as a major threat,therefore the audience never expected for him to be fully-fleshed out.Azog should stand on his own,as he is a major antagonist of the first film and there's nothing about him that really stands out.He made the conclusion more effective and added to Thorin's character,but he should've been more than just a plot device,given his supposed importance to the story.

As for Radagast,I though he was brilliant(stick insect notwithstanding) , and you could definitely see his inner Istari,in one brilliant piece of dialogue - "Witchcraft...Oh,but it is.A dark and powerful magic" hauntingly delivered by McCoy,when he completely transforms the character.

ryouko
Lorien

Jan 10 2013, 1:44am

Post #41 of 45 (317 views)
Shortcut
*Points at the poll* [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay, who voted for Sebastian?? Mad

Evil, evil people. Tongue

Súlimë
Rivendell

Jan 17 2013, 9:55am

Post #42 of 45 (315 views)
Shortcut
The Great Goblin [In reply to] Can't Post

Azog was whatever-to-okay (we'll see how he is handled in the other 2 films -- so I will reserve my judgment for now)

But the Great Goblin? His lines made me cringe. "...Which makes you... nobody, really" sounds so modern. Seriously -- 'nobody, really?' And everything was wrong with him -- his death seemed violent for some reason, and his fall at the end was bordering on mean-spirited (for me anyway).

/endrant (sorry)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 23 2013, 7:53am

Post #43 of 45 (409 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

...why am I here, at 3am???

musst ssstick up for Orrrri... he's the adorable nerd we all were back in school, 'nuff said...
Attachments: bofur bunny sled tornsize.jpg (45.0 KB)

Aethelwyne Bolger
Bree

Feb 14 2013, 7:25pm

Post #44 of 45 (361 views)
Shortcut
I actually thought casting was perfect and liked them all [In reply to] Can't Post

My nephew (12) especially thought Azog was cool and the Great Goblin was funny, so those characters don't bother me any. I just wish that the trees didn't topple into each other, if only because I remember the cartoon song "15 birds in five firtrees oh what will we do with those pretty little things" and it always makes me feel nostalgic. But one of my favorite scenes was not in the book, Azog vs Thorin and Bilbo jumping down to help.

My niece (9) asked me if Radagast was crazy, then during the White Council when Saruman was saying Radagast ate too many mushrooms, she turned to me and whispered, "See? I told you! That guy says he's crazy too!" My nephew then whispered to Ariel that "that guy" was actually a bad guy (she's new to LOTR besides her admiration of the "princesses" Arwen and Galadriel and Eowyn) and I tried to hush them and not to laugh at the same time. I didn't want to disturb the others in the audience, but we had such a great time seeing this movie together!

To me, one of my best surprises was that the "hot dwarves" Fili and Kili, who I was prepared to not like, actually fit in perfectly as dwarves with their silly antics and their tough fighting skills and their comradeship. The only dwarf I wasn't so fond of was Ori, because from posts during last year I pictured him as quiet, gentle, and scholarly, and he was instead rather dorky and maybe a bit dim witted. But I hold out hope that I'll grow to like him better.

So, I guess my least favorie was Ori, but I didn't dislike him or anything.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 1 2013, 11:01pm

Post #45 of 45 (458 views)
Shortcut
Azog, hands down. [In reply to] Can't Post

Least favorite character in all of Jackson's Middle-earth. Only one i don't like, really.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.