Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
No new action figure news before christmas? A missed chance! (+Questions)

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Dec 19 2012, 4:48pm

Post #1 of 10 (461 views)
Shortcut
No new action figure news before christmas? A missed chance! (+Questions) Can't Post

Well... I don't want to talk about the... not so well done marketing campaign of the Hobbit (at least in Germany) but are there any hints of new action figures coming out?

I mean... it's christmas time. THE season for merchandising if you ask me. Look at the Star Wars franchise... almost every background character has his own action figure. The last film appeared in 2005 and the next one won't come untill 2015 and I'm not just talking about the movies.. also video games, books and tv series have their own figures. And look at our Lord of the Rings toys. A lot of different characters, situations and multipacks. Main characters, background characters a big selection... But for the Hobbit? One wave of action figures and nothing more. The film is out NOW. Christmas is NOW. Who cares in April or May? I think it's again a missed chance! Although I'm not a huge fan of the quality of the Bridge Direct toys I liked at least some of them.

15 different characters from the film... sorry 12 from the film (Legolas, Bolg and Tauriel don't appear in the final cut AUJ). I'm a huge fan of the Fimbul the Hunter with Warg figure and also I like Grinnah the Goblin (although he doesn't look like Grinnah but at least he's a goblin)... I'm sure that I would like the Yazneg one aswell, but there's no Yazneg in Germany (like there's no Gandalf&Bolg and no Thorin&Goblin King either).

Only 5 dwarves out of 13. No Azog on White Warg, no Galadriel&Elrond multi pack, no Radagast the Brown. But we've got Bilbo in different sizes and invisible, we've got Gandalf and Thorin in different sizes too. And we've got Legolas and Tauriel in different sizes, single AND in a multi pack! Why a Thorin&Goblin King multi pack instead of a Goblin&Goblin King multi pack? I really wondered that there's no Radagast&Rhosgobel Bunnies with sledge and Sebastian the hedgehog or a Dwarf on pony pack or a Bombur the master cook... Hopefully they work on it and especially improve their qualities... the figures are nearly as expensive as the Toy Biz figures from LOTR and only a third of the size and almost a quarter of the quality of them...

1) Is there anybody who saw, heard or read something about new action figures for AUJ?

2) Who would be your favorite action figure after seeing AUJ?

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

Veebee

Dec 19 2012, 4:53pm

Post #2 of 10 (216 views)
Shortcut
Summer of 2013 [In reply to] Can't Post

I am a part owner of a fairly large action figure-based website and I have had contact with TBD regarding their product offerings. In short, new product will not be available until summer of 2013. I feel that is a missed opportunity to keep the brand on shelves during the entire span of the films, but TBD has not been very forthcoming about offering news of new product at this point.

If nothing else, I would HOPE that we would see new product at the New York Toy Fair in February. I do know for a fact that many (if not all) of the dwarves are past the sculpt and prototyping stage and should be ready for production. More villains too, but I don't know anything for certain about anything else.

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Dec 19 2012, 5:11pm

Post #3 of 10 (203 views)
Shortcut
Better than nothing. Thanks. [In reply to] Can't Post

I need more villians for my showcase. Another warg pack (Azog on White Warg) would be perfect or a new Orc (Narzug or Hunter Orc) or Goblin (Goblin Slave or Scribe) as a single figure. And what about the three trolls as a big Multipack? Soooo many opportunities... sooo much money to make. Unsure

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

LordotRings93
Rohan

Dec 19 2012, 5:15pm

Post #4 of 10 (200 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I was expecting more, but even at my local stores there are NO figures. With ToyBiz's LOTR line, there were tons of figures to choose from from the FOTR alone.

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Shagrat
Gondor

Dec 19 2012, 5:22pm

Post #5 of 10 (215 views)
Shortcut
I've said it before... [In reply to] Can't Post

But Bridge Direct have truly dropped the ball with this line. For one the quality on the 6 inch figures is poor in comparison to ToyBiz. For another the selection choices are baffling. I appreciate Azog was a late addition to the films but still to not have a figure of him out by December is a massive fail on their part. And then to have no more product out until Summer 2013 (hopefully this doesn't suggest the Blu-ray isn't out until August) is a real missed opportunity.

Collectors aside kids would want the remainder of the Dwarves, Azog and his Warg, the Stone Trolls, Eagles, Elven Horsemen, Goblins, a Dwarven soldier, Goblins, and perhaps even a Deluxe Stone Giant (not to scale) this Christmas. Where are they? If you're not going to push the product when the film comes out you might as well not bother. This line is clearly aimed at kids, not collectors, so no way will it have the legs to last beyond the films.

(This post was edited by Shagrat on Dec 19 2012, 5:23pm)

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Dec 19 2012, 5:25pm

Post #6 of 10 (203 views)
Shortcut
The funny thing is... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I found them very hidden even in bookshops here in Germany... But I really have to look for them and sometimes I even have to ask employees. If I look back to 2001 the LOTR figures were everywhere and they were placed very prominent especially when FOTR came out. In every corner you could find LOTR toys almost every shop selled LOTR figures. But today? It's very sad... although the film is even more for children than LOTR Unsure It's pure irony!

YaznegSouth40
Rivendell

Dec 19 2012, 5:59pm

Post #7 of 10 (209 views)
Shortcut
Yeah you guys are.... [In reply to] Can't Post

so right...a missed chance here. I believe the film going to a trilogy messed with this toy line. We have AUJ and Legolas/Tauriel, Bolg figures(none of which are in the film). Then we have Azog in the film..but NO figure! It is because of the change I am almost sure. Either there is a second wave coming after Christmas or most of who we saw in film one will be apart of the next film's collection to sort of even it out...one of these two I guess.

steve2477
The Shire

Dec 20 2012, 10:03pm

Post #8 of 10 (172 views)
Shortcut
So true! [In reply to] Can't Post

It is such a shame that Bridge Direct havent released more figures in both scales for The Hobbit. I mean even if they released just 2 more beast sets for the Christmas holidays, like Azog with white Warg and Radagast with rabbit sleigh to celebrate the release of part 1 of The Hobbit. I have read on another site that Bridge Direct wont be releasing any more figures until summer 2013. Thats crazy. Maybe its because BD are new to action figures, unlike Mattel or Hasbro. I dont know really, just really disappointed. I was just hoping to have all 13 Dwarves on my shelf by now.

steve2477
The Shire

Dec 20 2012, 10:37pm

Post #9 of 10 (258 views)
Shortcut
It should have [In reply to] Can't Post

The second wave should have included these below, some figures would probably have been repacked with new figures, but just to get new figures, it would have been worth it.

Bilbo Baggins(Bag End) - Single card
Radagast - Single card
Yazneg - Single card
Saruman & Gandalf - Twin pack
Bofur & Bifur - Twin pack
Oin & Gloin - Twin pack
Elrond & Galadriel - Twin pack
Azog with white Warg - Beast pack
Troll with Bombur

How cool would a Bag End playset be. I can dream.

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Dec 21 2012, 2:29pm

Post #10 of 10 (408 views)
Shortcut
I would add a few to my list... [In reply to] Can't Post

Single pack
Narzug (because I have no idea why else they would give a background orc a name if not for a toy. Also I have no idea which orc he was)
Lindir
Thrain

Twin pack
Goblins (perhaps even a better Grinnah that really looks like the one in the movie)
Gollum & unlucky Goblin
Azog & Thror

Beast pack
Dori, Nori, Ori and pony
Radagast with Bunny sledge and Hedgehog Sebastian

Also I'm not a fan of two different scales. Either they chose the 3.75" or the 6" scale or they release every figure in each scale but not some in one scale and some in a different one.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.