Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies did you watch this weekend?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 20 2012, 1:43am

Post #26 of 31 (62 views)
Shortcut
I am going to see The Hobbit in a couple of hours [In reply to] Can't Post

I had trouble deciding which format to see it in, as there has been so much conversation about it. In the end we opted for the full works burger, so to speak. Flipping expensive, could I say. And I always look *so good* in 3D glasses. Cool

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 20 2012, 2:22am

Post #27 of 31 (67 views)
Shortcut
So do we all! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you have a great time at the movie.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 20 2012, 2:37am

Post #28 of 31 (72 views)
Shortcut
Did I tell you I was betrayed? [In reply to] Can't Post

My movie buddy confessed to seeing it in Invercargill of all places, after making me practically swear a blood oath that I wouldn't go without her! I will be expecting her to purchase a lot of chocolate for me to make up for this shocking behaviour. Laugh

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 20 2012, 4:30am

Post #29 of 31 (69 views)
Shortcut
I wield so much power it makes me dizzy [In reply to] Can't Post

lol... You can absolutely say something about The Hobbit any old time you like.

but if it helps... I've seen it.

Our plans were to see it on Christmas and at least two of the family wanted to see 48fps. But I'd been told by people I trust that the higher frame rate was likely to be a jarring experience and I should see it in 24fps first so I could take in the story without distractions. So when I got off work early, I grabbed a matinee to get in my first 'normal' viewing. I'll see it next week in 48fps - 3D.

But, to formulate my thoughts on it, I'd need more time than I have right now and I actually think sitting with my thoughts is a good thing - rather than spilling them as soon as I have them. And, I think a second viewing will help define my thoughts. If the higher frame rate isn't too jarring. (and to be honest, I have my worries. But I do want to see it at least once in 48fps)

I guess it can be assumed since I'm not raving about how much I loved it or hated it that it wasn't quite either. My feelings on it are a bit conflicted. But I didn't fall in love with FOTR till the third time I saw it and I just went back to read my ROTK review written for imdb and I started: "Being a great fan of the book, I always struggle to reconcile my vision with Peter Jackson's version. It never happened completely in The Two Towers. And I left my first viewing of Return of the King dazed, stunned, overwhelmed, but unsure whether I liked it or not."

And I can say I like ROTK now. So that's why I don't want to get too stuck in this first reaction.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

imin
Valinor

Dec 20 2012, 4:49pm

Post #30 of 31 (59 views)
Shortcut
Hehe, i just didnt want to spoil anything for you so thought best to leave it [In reply to] Can't Post

For me there were parts of it that i really loved and other parts that i felt were either not fully needed or just was a bit 'meh' about.

From talking to some people on here i dont think the projector in my cinema helped as i watched it in 24fps 3D but the level of 3D was almost not there - you could pretty much watch it without the glasses - felt a bit ripped off actually but what can you do?!

So overall i liked it but left disappointed that it didnt live up to what i had hoped for.

i am going to see it some time in the next few days in 2D and this time i wont go in with so much expectation.

Something i think for me is different between this time and when lotr came out is i have read the books many more times since then - when FOTR came out i had only read it 2 times and that was in the year of its release so my impression of ME wasnt as formed as it is now, meaning i could just accept what was going on much more easily than now.

I didnt consciously watch the film with a checklist of things i wanted to see 'my way' lol, but i think it unsettled me when i felt they could have been better. There are certain things though i feel were just kinda bad, regardless of what my ideas were on how the scene was done.

But then there are so many things to enjoy - for me the first hour was a joy to watch, even though critics disliked it. I felt that was more the ME that i know and love.

Riddles although done differently to how i imagine it from reading the book i felt was acted perfectly and was overall a fantastic scene with the most emotion on show of the whole film.

It is interesting that you felt similar when you viewed the lotr movies - for me i loved them from the first viewing and with FOTR, probably from the first 5 seconds i was like wow!

It will be interesting to see if your opinion changes over time/viewings, i hope they do (for both of us) as its obviously always nicer to enjoy something.

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 20 2012, 7:50pm

Post #31 of 31 (174 views)
Shortcut
You're right about that... [In reply to] Can't Post

"its obviously always nicer to enjoy something."

There's a 10th Anniversary of TTT movie thread on Main and I dug out an old email I wrote after I saw TTT for the first time. Then (because anything is better than cleaning), I dug out the other emails I wrote when I saw it the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 9th, 10th, and 11th times (I must have been too busy after #8).

I did make the same observation. These movies dug in over time rather than knocking me over at first glance. (although I was instantly charmed by many scenes in FOTR)

I also was reminded of how severely I had to talk to myself to get over the changes in Faramir in TTT. I was quite put out and it was messing with my ability to be happy and happy about the movie. So I worked at getting over it because 'it's nicer to enjoy something'. :-) The trick is letting in the good and deflecting bad.

I've discovered that a matinee is only $5 and I think I can pop for a few more viewings at $5 (plus the Christmas viewing). Plus, it will come to my neighborhood theater in the spring for $2/$3 and I'll see it a few more times then.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.