Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Rate The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Rate The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey!
10 - Perfection! 20 / 18%
9 42 / 38%
8 25 / 22%
7 15 / 13%
6 4 / 4%
5 1 / 1%
4 0 / 0%
3 4 / 4%
2 0 / 0%
1 - I want my money back! 1 / 1%
112 total votes

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 17 2012, 5:35am

Post #26 of 41 (320 views)
Shortcut
Regarding Elrond... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think there's another factor: unless the timeline has been changed more than we know, Aragorn and Arwen haven't met yet. Bilbo's adventure is in TA2941 and Aragorn and Arwen meet in TA2951, ten years later. Elrond is not yet contemplating a future in which his daughter gives up her immortality, and all that has been built with the Three has to be given up in the battle against the Shadow. The events of the next 60 years will weigh heavily on him, and culminate in his sailing West.

But I was very pleased to see a more cheerful Elrond, as it was closer to his description in the book: "as fair in face as an elf-lord, as strong as a warrior, as wise as a wizard, as venerable as a king of dwarves, and as kind as summer." We really haven't gotten a glimpse of the "kind as summer" part before. Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 17 2012, 8:37am

Post #27 of 41 (236 views)
Shortcut
I suppose there are a large portion of people who visit the site that: [In reply to] Can't Post

A) Missed it, and haven't yet voted
B) Will vote once they've seen it
C) Will vote once they've seen it several times
D) Will come back to the site and do it at a later date
E) Can't be bothered

Wink

I tried to vote the other day, but my name hasn't yet popped up. So maybe there are some that are being missed off?

Silmaril
Lorien

Dec 17 2012, 9:25am

Post #28 of 41 (262 views)
Shortcut
9 [In reply to] Can't Post

loved it and i want to see it again. i'm not sure about radagast and some action scenes. the score is perfect!

malickfan
Gondor

Dec 17 2012, 12:25pm

Post #29 of 41 (264 views)
Shortcut
I has to be a 5/10 at least at the moment. I thought it felt like a rough cut, not a finished film, and I can't quite work out whether I loved or was indifferent to it!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

As Imin said the pacing was a bit off-though it was a long film, to me it actually felt pretty short, I felt the first hour or so had the right balance between character and story, but after rivendell it felt a bit rushed-too much going on, and not enough development in between. I also got the impression the film wasn't quite finished-almost as if PJ wasn't that connected to the material, and was unsure of how to balance it. I found it all too obvious what was filler and what wasn't, i.e though I enjoyed The White Council and Radagast (well, to a lesser extent) I found it rather clunkily put into the film, anoyingily brief (Are casual viewers really supposed to remember a quick short of the Arkenstone, and the necromancer for the next year or two?), and in some cases unneccasry.

Judging soley by AUJ, I think Two FOUR hour films, would have been the best way to go about things-I could have easily sat for another hour or two in the cinema, not saying I thought It was amazing- I thought it felt too obvious it was only part of the story, it ended rather suddenly and My first thought was 'Was that it??'. I actually felt Fellowship did a better and more appopriate job at telling a story of tolkien's (Despite all the massive changes)- I got the impression PJ wasn't sure if he wanted to make LOTR again or the Hobbit, and I'm not enitrely sure whether three films was justified.

I LOVED the first hour, Riddles in The Dark, The Trolls, and the stone gaints, and of course the ending shot, but I felt Goblin Town was a bit overblown and fake looking (I know this suits the more fairytale tone of the book, but I found it all too obviuos it was CGI, and some of the action sequences looked a little random). At first I thought the humour was a bit slapsticky, but since friday I've mostly changed my mind and find myself appreciating it more and more (the actual bits from the Hobbit felt like the hobbit), though I still think The Goblin King was frankly terrible (not scary at all, just annoying).

The performances were all round great, and I can't fault PJ on his direction, or the production design, BUT after all I've said there is no way round it...it was a dissapointment, both as a film fan, and a tolkien 'nut'.

I didn't like the massive changes to dwarven History (I was hugely annoyed Dain wasn't in the film) and didn't think most of them were justified, I was annoyed so much material we had been promised was left out (The old took, warg language, narsil, character ,moments from the book) I never got the impression The producers were as enthused about the story, and other than the prologue and Riddles, there was nothing that truly made me go 'Wow!'. Whilst some of the CGI was truly stunning, I found myself missing the 'Bigitures' and 35mm.

Put more simply, I Greatly enjoyed the film, but was left largely indifferent or unfilled by large parts of it, and didn't feel it worked as whole- both overstuffed and very empty, I think I need to watch it again to make a final judgement...but I'm not sure I can be bothered too (at least not the theatrical cut, I'm banking on the extended fixing some of the issues for me)

UnimpressedUnimpressedUnimpressed

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 17 2012, 1:11pm

Post #30 of 41 (265 views)
Shortcut
all reviews are moderated... [In reply to] Can't Post

for spam, links to other sites, and untoward language.

It's possible the process for moderating is slowing things down. I volunteered to moderate until I realized that reading reviews would be spoilers for me. So until I've seen the movie, I can't (won't) moderate.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 17 2012, 5:03pm

Post #31 of 41 (330 views)
Shortcut
It was FUN! [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw it in glorious 2D; so now I know that the 3D would be uncomfortable for me to watch. I'll see it a few more times - in 2D.

I loved it. I loved all the "little moments". I've got to write a review - but it will be long!

Heart

wendy woo
Rivendell

Dec 18 2012, 1:19am

Post #32 of 41 (219 views)
Shortcut
You've hit the nail on the head, I think! [In reply to] Can't Post

Knowing your child was going to choose death over immortality would certainly put a damper on your mood (and then there is that "all of Middle Earth being taken over by an evil entity" thing going on, too).

Ref
Rivendell

Dec 19 2012, 11:44am

Post #33 of 41 (267 views)
Shortcut
4/5 or 8.5/10 [In reply to] Can't Post

When I was a young kid, my father used to read The Hobbit to me and my siblings - so I was very interested in this film. Now being a fan of the book and the books/films of LotR I had high hopes, and they were not dashed one iota. I really, really enjoyed this film (but that's not surprising ). Just to mention now I watched this 24 fps 3D.

Many people have stated that the film is too long and the first hour plods along at an extremely slow pace. Are people forgetting The Fellowship? That took a long while too, but it was all to establish the characters and likewise with The Hobbit which has a tad more to introduce. But maybe I had a one up on this, as I knew the story/characters to begin with. However, I will agree that only a handful of the Dwarves got any decent screen-time but that does mirror the book (in-a-way)

The casting was spot on. The acting chemistry between Freeman/Armitage/McKellen was bloody brilliant and I loved it. You can easily understand why Jackson delayed filming/re-arranged sets just so they could get Freeman.

The music was beautiful (loving the Dwarves theme), but I was a bit peeved when they used to Ringwraithes theme when Thorin and Azog were commencing to battle *tut tut*

Not keen on Radagast, Saruman was right - too many mushrooms, dude, addles the brain. The CGI in some places looked a bit creaky, but in others e.g. Gollum it was utterly superb.

A solid 4/5

elentari3018
Lorien

Dec 22 2012, 6:17am

Post #34 of 41 (279 views)
Shortcut
Very good points [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think there's another factor: unless the timeline has been changed more than we know, Aragorn and Arwen haven't met yet. Bilbo's adventure is in TA2941 and Aragorn and Arwen meet in TA2951, ten years later. Elrond is not yet contemplating a future in which his daughter gives up her immortality, and all that has been built with the Three has to be given up in the battle against the Shadow. The events of the next 60 years will weigh heavily on him, and culminate in his sailing West.

But I was very pleased to see a more cheerful Elrond, as it was closer to his description in the book: "as fair in face as an elf-lord, as strong as a warrior, as wise as a wizard, as venerable as a king of dwarves, and as kind as summer." We really haven't gotten a glimpse of the "kind as summer" part before. Smile

I especially agree with getting a more "kind as summer" face out of Elrond-- that was captured perfectly!!!

willowing
Lorien

Dec 23 2012, 8:27am

Post #35 of 41 (285 views)
Shortcut
A perfect 10 for The Hobbit in 3D 24FPS [In reply to] Can't Post

After viewing the 2D version I just had to see it again this time in 3D. First time viewing moved a bit too quickly for my liking but nonetheless still had an impact on me.

Loved it even more the second time around, The view of the eagle swooping in to pick up Thorin Oakenshield in its giant claws was just epic.
Cool

CathrineB
Rohan

Jan 1 2013, 10:25pm

Post #36 of 41 (99 views)
Shortcut

Only reason not for 10 is the nitpicking everyone can do.

Vangalad
Lorien

Jan 2 2013, 12:21am

Post #37 of 41 (113 views)
Shortcut
Between 8 and 9 [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen it 3 times and honestly each viewing felt stronger and stronger.
The Hobbit needs its(little) time to lay roots deep inside all those who loved the lotr trilogy and once it does it ties well with the world and feel that Jackson wants to give the audience as a complete Middle Earth experience.

The big win is the tone, which is very much in cohesion with the book , giving wonderful scenes like the ones in Bag End without lacking in epic moments as well( Erebor prologue and Moria).

M.Freeman and R.Armitage give excellent performances along with I.McKellen, Andy Serkis and the dwarves are, well, brutal fun!

Oh,I should note that found the 48fps format to be the best experience for 3D movies.

A big applause for everyone involved in these movies, they deserve it.

Smile

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jan 2 2013, 4:32am

Post #38 of 41 (128 views)
Shortcut
8: Good overall, but Radagast "wasted" and Goblin bridge awful [In reply to] Can't Post

I knocked off two points for the extreme mischaracterization of Radagast and the totally fake Goblin bridge. It would have been 7, but as a fan of Middle Earth, I'll admit to adding a point for bias.

Radagast would have been better as someone with a strong intellect and powerful presence who chooses life with nature and is determined to not be distracted from it, like Tom Bombadil, rather than a daft fool from Alice In Wonderland with his rabbits and wasted on drugs who wears excrement and is entirely distractable by no real choice or control of his own.

The unbelievable Goblin bridge immediately took me well out of the movie and somewhere into next week. It was laughable, like a Brendan Fraser movie - not a good thing.

This film was too heavy on CGI and very weak in terms of encouraging Oscar wins at the end of the series, unlike the way that Fellowship of the Ring was well regarded and a better start.

The film did not drag. It kept my interest, time went quickly, but I wanted more lingering character moments and didn't get them so much, especially considering the length of the film. Overall, I enjoyed it in 2D and intend to give 3D HFR a chance sometime soon.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Jan 2 2013, 4:39am)

Kassandros
Rohan

Jan 8 2013, 5:21pm

Post #39 of 41 (89 views)
Shortcut
7 [In reply to] Can't Post

I finally voted in this poll after seeing the movie again, this time in 2D.

I voted 7 rather quickly and based on gut. I suppose 8 would be more fair, but 7 is what came to mind. I thoroughly enjoyed The Hobbit during both my viewings, but not nearly as much as any of the Lord of the Rings movies. I found it much less emotionally and phillosophically engaging and I found the action scenes far less interesting. I've now found myself bored during the Goblintown escape during both viewings. I enjoyed the equivalent action scenes in Lord of the RIngs.

On the plus side, I love pretty much all of the acting. While I found the pacing of Radagast's scenes to be problematic, I also loved them both times. Sylvester McCoy is an absolute delight. I didn't mind Azog or the changes to Dwarf history as much the second time around and noticed that Azog doesn't really have a big part in the movie anyway.

I am hoping that AUJ will work better as Part 1 of 3 than it does on its own. I'll likely see it at least one more time in theaters, though. As I said, I enjoy it.

Kassandros
Rohan

Jan 14 2013, 6:13am

Post #40 of 41 (163 views)
Shortcut

After seeing it a third time, I'd like to change my vote to 9. Really enjoyed it more this time. And I was able to watch it in beautiful 3D HFR without being distracted by it. It looked real to me this time, after about 5 minutes of getting used to it.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 2 2013, 3:19am

Post #41 of 41 (117 views)
Shortcut
I give it an 8.5. [In reply to] Can't Post

But i rounded down to an 8 for this poll. I love Tolkien, and i love these Middle-earth films, but AUJ just had too many significant problems for me to give it anything higher than 8.5. I'm curious as to how the EE affects this, though.

As a point of reference, i give FotR and TT 10s, and RotK a 9.5 (EEs, of course). I waver between FotR and TT as to which is my favorite. The last time i watched them (about a month ago), it was Fellowship, but that's likely to change again. RotK getting knocked a half point doesn't mean it has any major problems, or any problems at all, really. In fact, there are many things about it that i love just as much or more as anything in the other two. It's just that i don't love it quite as much as the other two. But when i think of LotR in terms of other films, i think of the trilogy as one film, and it gets a 10. I'll group The Hobbit the same way once they're all out, but that trilogy will likely remain a seperate piece from LotR-- they're two seperate works to my mind.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.