Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Geeky Observation Thread.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 14 2012, 1:28pm

Post #26 of 35 (222 views)
Shortcut
They don't have Quenya names, which is what Gandalf probably means. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

imin
Valinor

Dec 14 2012, 1:40pm

Post #27 of 35 (215 views)
Shortcut
I thought they did? [In reply to] Can't Post

Isnt Rómestámo a quenya name?

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 14 2012, 1:45pm

Post #28 of 35 (206 views)
Shortcut
Only if you take Peoples of Middle-earth as canon ;-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

imin
Valinor

Dec 14 2012, 1:49pm

Post #29 of 35 (200 views)
Shortcut
I take them all as canon [In reply to] Can't Post

as i think the idea of canon itself is kinda silly - all comes from the main man at the end of the day, plus the peoples of middle earth is an awesome book, lol. It is at least as canon as unfinished tales in my mind. Though i dont really get the canon debate anymore as i see it all as canon as i said, lol.

I think it was more in relation to them not having the rights to the books and so he had to say i cant remember - got a laugh at the cinema Smile

QuickTidal
The Shire

Dec 15 2012, 5:21am

Post #30 of 35 (98 views)
Shortcut
All giant spiders... [In reply to] Can't Post

...in ME are descendants of Ungoliant...no matter how long their lineage is (in this case they come from Shelob...who came from Ungoliant)...and for people like Gandalf and Radagast both of whom are Maiar (Radagast is a Maiar too yes?), their memory stretches better to Ungoliant and the First Age methinks because she caused more havoc than Shelob, and was directly related to Morgoth's rise to power.

Gods, I'm a nerd.

But yeah, the Ungoliant mention made my inner fanboy squee!

Newbie NARF, and proud!

QuickTidal
The Shire

Dec 15 2012, 5:23am

Post #31 of 35 (105 views)
Shortcut
Oh... [In reply to] Can't Post

..and though it was an easier spot, both Gandlaf and Elrond referencing Gondolin made my inner SILMARILLION fanboy squee too.

Newbie NARF, and proud!

RhodeCamelot
The Shire

Dec 15 2012, 7:47am

Post #32 of 35 (101 views)
Shortcut
Sorry for interjecting with a n00b question.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Are the butterflies and eagles in any way related? As in, spiritually related (however strange this may sound) or are the butterflies sort of like messengers to the eagles or to Gandalf (.....or out of sheer coincidence they just happened to appear to Gandalf in 2 different movies---this better not be the disappointing truth Shocked)

#dftba

QuickTidal
The Shire

Dec 15 2012, 2:23pm

Post #33 of 35 (80 views)
Shortcut
They are indeed linked... [In reply to] Can't Post

They are both creatures of the sky and air....which are the domain of the Valar named Manwe...who is essentially the demi-god of the sky. So in that way, both creatures of air would have an affinity through their link to Manwe.

Gandalf's ability to call them seems to be his status as a Maiar (lesser demi-god) and therefore he can communicate with them via some spiritual link, requesting help.

hope that helps.

Text for ref.: The Silmarillion

Newbie NARF, and proud!

(This post was edited by QuickTidal on Dec 15 2012, 2:26pm)

belfalas
Bree

Dec 15 2012, 3:07pm

Post #34 of 35 (57 views)
Shortcut
The telling of tall tales? [In reply to] Can't Post

I took that to mean that Bilbo's telling of the story added frills which didn't actually happen, or were metaphor for his experience. For example, the stone giants; I don't consider that they actually existed, but that was how Bilbo described his journey through a thunderstorm in the mountains.

RhodeCamelot
The Shire

Dec 16 2012, 12:07pm

Post #35 of 35 (56 views)
Shortcut
Wow thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

/nerd-meter goes up a little/

#dftba

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.