Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What impact is this film's reception going to have on the next two films?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Dec 14 2012, 1:00pm

Post #26 of 36 (118 views)
Shortcut
The bits where people stood around and talked were what the critics hated [In reply to] Can't Post

When you read the critic reviews, the negative ones pretty much slate the film based on the "slow" build up in the shire and the stuff like the Rivendell scene. They generally go on to admit that the film "picks up" once the action starts.

So to cut the action and put in more character moments would probably mean an even worse critical reception.

I think it's fair to say that at this point, us fans are on an entirely different planet to the all smug, bitter critics who can only just repeat the same "ONE BOOK THREE MOVIES?!?!?!" rant like stuck records.

( As an aside, I feel that we are not in the same world as we were in 2001. Critics' livelihoods depend on them shouting their opinions on the internet louder than the other critics, and they will jump at the chance to take down the mega-successful Peter Jackson, and the percieved "greed" of him and Warner Bros, because ultimately film critics are rather failed, jaded people.)

* crunch *

imin
Valinor

Dec 14 2012, 1:13pm

Post #27 of 36 (111 views)
Shortcut
yeah that is the only problem, haha [In reply to] Can't Post

I think like you say what fans in general really liked were the things critics said were boring and needed to move on from.

I think for fans and general audience he struck the right balance - i know for example many of my friends liked the action scenes the best and they have only watched the lord of the rings so have no real emotional investment in the characters at this point.

Funny though how i (and many fans) were the complete opposite, on a different planet entirely!

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Dec 14 2012, 1:23pm

Post #28 of 36 (107 views)
Shortcut
My favourite part was the Bag End stuff too [In reply to] Can't Post

Absolutely perfect pace and tone.

I hate the critics.

* crunch *

redgiraffe
Rohan

Dec 14 2012, 1:23pm

Post #29 of 36 (125 views)
Shortcut
Ahhh [In reply to] Can't Post

Haha. Well I think there lies the difference in perspective between you and myself. I was discussing the two films with the idea that DG would be included. But if you take that out then I would definitely be able to see it working as 2 films.

And I am wondering about the episodic nature of the hobbit. Some critics said it seemed like they just ended up in situations - although that's kind of how it was in the book. But as you said, that might not translate as well on screen.

And I agree that the best moments were when the film sort of stood still for a bit. One of my minor complaints was that I would have liked to see more character development. What PJ could have done was added maybe another 10-15 minutes of character to it seeing as the film was "only" 2:45. Then he could have had his cake and eaten it too!Wink

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

(This post was edited by redgiraffe on Dec 14 2012, 1:25pm)

redgiraffe
Rohan

Dec 14 2012, 1:29pm

Post #30 of 36 (105 views)
Shortcut
Good grief [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Absolutely perfect pace and tone.

I hate the critics.

I got really pissed after seeing the Bag End stuff b/c I couldn't believe critics thought it "dragged on" and slowed the pace of the film. That's one area where I just can't understand their reasoning. It was a logical setup for the rest of the movie and as I said before I don't think they spent any more time in Bag End in AUJ than they did in FOTR.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

RalphDamiani
Rivendell

Dec 14 2012, 1:56pm

Post #31 of 36 (100 views)
Shortcut
Glorified, yet, unavoidable [In reply to] Can't Post

They said the same thing about sounds in movies, the transition to color, the replacement of vinyl, the long road between vhs to blu-ray. At some point, many people claimed they were a futureless disaster. They all met resistance until they were perfected and made accessible.

The move to a more natural way to see things is a question of public adaptation. This generation will hate it, the next one won't know anything else. Not to say I think 48 (or 60) fps is great, I probably won't. I personally dislike 3d in movies, but there will come a time when every movie will be 3d and viewing aids won't be necessary.

It's just the natural evolution of things: the status quo is viewed as artful and tasteful, the different is viewed as unnecessary, disturbing and merely experimental. Then it's marginalized and regarded as an interesting novelty, that will never catch on.

Then it's pushed by the industry and a few visionaries, until it becomes the accepted medium, much to dismay of older people, like some of us here, who will live off nostalgia, while the younger ones will embrace it fully. ;)

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Dec 14 2012, 4:23pm

Post #32 of 36 (60 views)
Shortcut
You're comparing... [In reply to] Can't Post

apples and oranges. In FOTR the danger is already in (The One Ring) or approaching (The Nine) Bag End. In AUJ there was no danger/action whatsoever. Even for me, as a fan, it really dragged.

''Do not fear the shadows, for seeing them means light is near...''

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Dec 14 2012, 6:36pm

Post #33 of 36 (50 views)
Shortcut
haven't seen the 48fps yet [In reply to] Can't Post

but I can tell you that I thought that the film was way to short. It didn't feel dragged, it felt rushed to me! for example Rivendell: they enter, White council, BOOM dwarves leaving..

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Dec 14 2012, 6:47pm

Post #34 of 36 (46 views)
Shortcut
Agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a pretty level headed person, but these reviews on RT are making me rather angry. They are just so, so wrong.

* crunch *

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 14 2012, 7:28pm

Post #35 of 36 (50 views)
Shortcut
This is the connective tissue I was talking about in my review [In reply to] Can't Post

It *did* go to quickly, so I hope the EE adds some tissue into the film to bind the scenes together.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Dec 14 2012, 10:32pm

Post #36 of 36 (77 views)
Shortcut
we know of 3 more rivendell scenes already [In reply to] Can't Post

- bilbo and narzil
- bilbo and elrond
- dwarves vs. elves

I really hope we get introduced to all of the dwarves in the EE in some way or another. We haven't seen Bifur's toy, etc.

There might be more in for Gloin and Bombur, I guess.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.